I am a new IRN owner and I hope he will like me one day

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

coccinelle888

I am a new IRN owner and I hope he will like me one day

Post by coccinelle888 »

I just got my first IRN last Friday Im not too sure if it is a he or she but I was told he was a he. The people were really nice but I think they were over whelmed and it seems he was put through the ringer. He is missing some toes and has a big gash on his cere. He is very much afraid of me the poor thing and im sure I didnt make it better when I clipped his wings on the first night. I just wanted to get it over with. I am very experienced with animals and birds just not with IRNs. Any advice would be really grateful. He is so pretty and so afraid,but I can get him to come out and sit on his cage but he wont come to me or take treats from me and he did try to bite me really hard through the gloves when I clipped his wings. I want him to know that he is safe and I will protect him and feed him the best best.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Welcome!! When you say missing some toes is it just the toe nail or the whole toe? Not to worry though some times if left in the nest box to long as a baby the parents sometimes bites nails and toes off but it don't affect the baby to much. Sometimes a very young breeding pair will also do this, who knows why it just happens. Your little one will come around it just takes time and patients working with them everyday and of course lots of TLC Good luck OH!! Whats his name??

Donna :D
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Its really good of you to take on this baby.

Time and patience. Take each day slowly, eventually s/he will learn to trust you, work with him/her everyday, beginning with lots of talking and re-assuring, maybe try approaching closer with your hands behind your back and just talking, that is how I got close to wild ones. As they get more familiar with you being in their personal space, you can take more steps. give it a few months. :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Welcome to this forum!
I myself are new but I love greeting newer friends, good luck on raising your baby ringneck!

My IRN was also scared when she first brought home, but I keep on trying to get her to trust me and treat me as her mom, now that she has grown up and love to be on my shoulder wherever I go!

You have to be patience and love him with all your heart.
:D
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Welcome! You will be amazed how quickly they change. I've had my IRN about 8 months -- not only does she run the house, she is starting to talk in complete sentences. I do worry sometimes what will come out of her mouth, since she seems to make some of it up on her own (that is my story and I am sticking to it). Would love to see some pics of your little one!
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello and Welcome to the flock.

Kudos to you for taking in this little sweetheart. Great advice and information here just have a look around. Any questions just ask away.

Gaining a IRNs trust can take time and patience. Just keep assuring he/she that your not a threat. Talk to him/her everyday and offer treats. Just takes a lil time. If you've got the patience you shouldnt have any worry. They are all a little afraid of new faces and will take time to adjust and get to know you.

Oh and we love pics here. Cant wait to see some pictures. hehe. :lol:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
coccinelle888

Post by coccinelle888 »

Thanks so much! you guys are great im so glad I found this board. About his toes just the tips of them are missing,he can still perch and move around really good and the gash on his cere is starting to heal. I had a breakthough with him yesterday :0) he took a peapod from my hand I am so happy boy he just loved it. I then gave him a fig and he took that from me as well. I bought him some nice little treats from Wholefoods and will keep offering them to him. He also took a piece of Banana from me this morning. I keep taking it slow with him and telling him how pretty he is. I could only hope that one day he will let me pet him.

PS how do I post a pic of him?
giantfoot_truck

Yes if you want to show us your IRN pic, first upload the pic in photobucket.com, and then copy and paste the IMG url into the topic you are going to post.

Good luck and we love to see your IRN photo! :D

Visit our photo section and look at all these beautiful IRN.
coccinelle888

I hope this picture works??

Post by coccinelle888 »

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w187 ... /jack2.jpg

He is so pretty I want you all to see him :0)
[/url]
Donna

Post by Donna »

OMG What a little doll!!! Thanks for sharing. Good luck with him

Donna :D
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Aww Adorable! Thankyou for shareing. Such a sweet little face!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
giantfoot_truck

Cute!
By the way if you want the pic to showed up here, then you should copy and paste the IMG code, not the url.
conurelover2007

Post by conurelover2007 »

Welcome. I can't see the picture of your baby here but I will try the Pictures forum.