hey

Moderator: Mods

boxy003

hey

Post by boxy003 »

my 27 day old rn sometimes sneezes when i'm handfeeding him......what is the explanation for this? He/she does not seem to b interested in food like other baby birds i've seen, i am feeding Kaytee Exact handfeeding formula....he takes only one 15ml syringe per feeding (i feed him every 5 hrs) and he is growing very fast.
and one more thing.....he is chubby and healthy too....he sneezes sumtimes during handfeeding only....why isn't he interested in eating like other chicks i've seen? i've seen chicks running after syringes
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

you have the same question posted in three different area's which is going to make it hard for others to follow the advice others give you, best to keep one question in one area :wink:

Anyway .. in my HO , even though I only have had one season of hand raising babies, there is usually a picky eater amongst them, if your baby is putting on weight and still taking the formula, I wouldn't be concerned.

Maybe try feeding him from a bent spoon, it could feel more like a beak for the little tacker :wink:

The sneezing may just be a normal reaction to taking in the formula ?

Depois should be along shortly he is our breeding/genetic expert :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Boxy, I've told you before to only ask ONCE. Your other posts will be deleted. I hope someone helps you soon.

Remember ask ONCE. Someone will see it.

Thankyou.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Donna

Post by Donna »

IRN's eat very well from a spoon. But what concerns me is that a breeder sold a 27 day old baby to an inexperienced hand feeder :(

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Jay

Post by Jay »

boxy003 wrote:my 27 day old rn sometimes sneezes when i'm handfeeding him......what is the explanation for this?

Food is getting into the trachea or windpipe. Feed slowly and hold their head and beak gently while imbibing formula. 15 ml/feeding should be sufficient for 4-wk old chick. Didn't the breeder at least teach you this? I hope you're feeding formula at around 105 deg F. This is very critical.

Some chicks at this age won't chase down the syringe, but they will once they get a little older. At 6-7 weeks, they will start losing appetite again to get their weight down in time for fledging.
Donna

Post by Donna »

[quote]I hope you're feeding formula at around 105 deg F. This is very critical.

Any hotter then 108F is to hot you will burn the crop. Feed to cold the crop will not empty properly and then you have a sour crop and baby may get sick. I put a couple of small drops of apple cider viniger in the formula once a day to help empty the crop.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
boxy003

Post by boxy003 »

hey i'm not an inexperienced handfeeder.....i have handfed and raised
6 budgies
3 lovebirds
3 cockatiels
and also i'm feeding Kaytee formula therefore apple cider is not necessary.......he/she started to feed properly today...i'm giving 15cc only.....i repeatedly say "Tessie" over and over and my baby makes very cute baby noises each time i say it when i'm handfeeding(Tessie is the name i chose.....isn't it cute?)...I think he/she is trying to copy......he/she is abt 4inches tall,very stocky and cute
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I think by experienced they mean that you have been shown properly how to do this, and are aware and able to handle any situation which may occur during the process. There are so many things that can go wrong. And there are so many techniques to learn when they do go wrong.

Like me (I have only having had one season of baby ringnecks and one clutch) you have experience, but are not yet experienced.

I have a breeder friend, Erik that comes over and helps me, and has again agreed to help me this season with my handraising so that with his expert help I can get more experience. I will be doing IRN and Quakers, but for me its not for sale reasons, I have family and friends and Erik that are going to take the babies off my hands, bar the tame one I keep for myself :wink:. So I know I have places for the babies.

Even after this season, I still would not say I am experienced, but I would be well capable .. Erik is experienced though :wink: and once he has helped me through some rough experiences over the next seasons I might add experienced to my title.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

he he :wink: All I can say, from what I know that when they sneeze it means your feeding 2 quickly and its getting in the wind pipe.. I hope he's doing well, just remember hand feeding mite be tiring now but once it's over you’ll want to do it again ASAP so take your time and enjoy it :wink:
Always thinking of you Beau!

Zack& Joey Were ever you may be!

Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

Ohhh that is so true. I got 3 green ringnecks last year to hand feed and it was awsome. I got them when they where like 5 weeks. I was doing it for a friend they did not know how so I told her I would do it. I used to work for a pet shop and that was my job feeding the babies. My fav was a sarlett Macaw the bird just loved me and went crazy every time he saw me. If he wasn't like $2,300 I would have took him home. I so miss baby stage now it was fun. Enjoy it.