Hello from Michigan!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

faust1200

Hello from Michigan!

Post by faust1200 »

Hi all! I recently acquired my first IRN only 3 days ago! I have had other smaller birds in the past and also currently have a 6 yr old tiel. Naturally, I was digging around the net for info and stumbled upon your site. My IRN is named Bailey and he(?) is only 2.5 months old. Everything is going very well so far. He makes progress every day. I can tell he is very sweet and curious and especially HUNGRY. He is already comfortable in his new cage and feels safe in it. In fact he doesn't like to leave it. He will step up to me always but within a few moments he will jump (nevermind his clipped wings he doesnt care about that) back toward his cage. So I have been taking some time to let him perch on my finger in a different room so his cage isn't calling him. Considering it's only been a few days I am very proud of him. His breeder did an awesome job. He hasn't bit me once!(yet??) Here are a few pics. -Jay
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Welcome to the flock! What a cutie he is; they all LOVE to eat. We will look forward to more pics & stories.
MCS
julie

Post by julie »

aww how cute. Welcome to the board :D
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Aww s/he is lovely ! and welcome both of you to the family.

Remember to handle him often, keep him use to even being picked up by the body sometimes (ie: your hands around him) :D And plenty of fresh fruit and vegi's every day, and left overs like eggs, rice, pasta and chicken may help him with his hunger :wink:

I hope you read about the IRN no no's with food

Sorry being an over protective new member guardian aren't I ? :roll:

Glad to have you here darlin :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Welcome to the flock!

Very cute lil Bailey is! Yep, a way to a birds heart is through its belly. They love food. Just have to make it healthy for them. Sounds like he/shes settled in well.

Any questions or queries just ask away and we'll try to answer. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Donna

Post by Donna »

Welcome to the board!! Your baby is addorable :D

Michigan you say? Me too!

Donna :D
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
faust1200

Post by faust1200 »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I have been trying to handle him a few minutes at a time because he really doesn't seem to like it. He doesn't bite me but he tries to wrestle out of my hand in every instance. He tolerates sitting on my finger for a little while and sometimes my shoulder and like I said he always steps up. He doesn't like being away from the cage. I have tried to feed him some seed away from his cage and I have had some limited success with that. I'd like him to feel safe away from the cage but I guess it may take some time. Any advice on how I should approach this? Keep in mind I've only had him since Thursday. Thanks! -Jay
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hi Jay It sounds like your doing all the right things :D It's all new to him so it will take some time and before you know it you will have a velcro bird.LOL

Where in Michigan did you find this breeder? I know a few. You can PM me with the information if you like.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
faust1200

Post by faust1200 »

Donna check your PM -;)
jobo2mi

Post by jobo2mi »

Hey I'm a Michigander also....Kalamazoo

My IRN just laid me four eggs this spring....so I know she has grown up!! :)

Faust, it will take patience and lots of work to get your IRN baby to take to you, but once s/he does, they are right, s/he can be a velcro bird, almost like a 'too!! I got my Nala in February of last year, and I worked with her nearly every day for 15 to 20 minutes at a time, 2 or 3 times a day, taking LOTS of hard bites, I will carry one of the scars to my grave!! YIKES! But in October (6 months later) one night she decided she was in love with me, she flew to me for the first time (scared the crap outta me actually) and has been my baby ever since!

She does the neck bend and mewling thing at me now all the time!! LOL She doesn't talk, but she sure tells me she loves me!! Just be patient, and work with her as much as you can...you'll have yourself a wonderful little companion.

btw - your IRN is such a cutie....congrats on getting him/her!!
Joanne

and the fids -
Parakeets - Emma (RIP Bonnie & Clyde)
Tiels - Rosie, Howie
QP - Isis
Sun Conure - Precious
IRN - Nala
Caique - Timber
and the cat - BK
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yep they struggle and don't seem to like it, because its not usual and its very new to them. Mine started out that way but the more I did it the more they got use to it.

Now if I need to I can grab Jordan or Pickle, I can check them for mites, sores all kinds of things and if I need to ever again clip their wings and they won't be scared of my holding them that way. Just keep doing it. I often pick Jordan up by the whole body and kiss him all over his head, he use to struggle but now he makes kissy noises back at me and just waits for me to put him back down again.

Alot of people make that mistake, they don't like it, so I won't do it. They only like what they are use to :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Wow your baby is the same age as mine! And he looks beautiful too!
conurelover2007

Post by conurelover2007 »

Bailey is a cutie. Can't wait for more updates.