Do I leave food in the cage all day?

Moderator: Mods

TropicalAussie

Do I leave food in the cage all day?

Post by TropicalAussie »

Hi guys, just wondering if you should leave some sort of food (such as a seed mix) in the cage all day? I give Iago some veggie's and grains in the morning and fruit when I get home from work at about 5 but I also leave his seed bowl in there all the time incase he gets hungry during the day. There's usually some of his morning food left when I get home from work.
Should I be leaving endless seeds for him or give him a little bit with his grains and veggies in the morning? I don't want him to go hungry if he doesn't like what I've given him or he throws too much out of the cage but I don't want him eating too many seeds, which I know is unhealthy.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I'd find out what your birds daily intake of seed or pellets is and only leave that much in the bowl.

My 2 only really eat in the morning and at bedtime. I change the pellets/seed every morning and put their daily consumption of food in the bowl, no more.

I think that wild birds wouldnt eat as much as pet birds. Pet birds are fed so much and my avian vet told most of the birds he sees are overweight. As long as we feed them a good diet everyday they shouldn't go hungry. More vegies than seed or pellets. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
TropicalAussie

Post by TropicalAussie »

Thanks, but do you mix their veggies and grains in with the pellets/seed or put it in a separate bowl?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I leave the seed/pellets in the cage and usually put some vegies on a plate out of the cage in the morning for both of them. But if I had to go out (work etc..) I'd put the vegies in a separate bowl in the cage. I don't like puting vegies in the pellets because they leave bits that mix in with the pellets and I have to pick em out.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
TropicalAussie

Post by TropicalAussie »

Great. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
nichole123

Post by nichole123 »

I bought a kabob for the fruits and veggies for my bird and I come home on my lunch break to take the fresh stuff out. I admit to leaving pellets in the cage all day but I leave not even enough to cover the bottom of the bowl.
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

Amazon and our avairy birds only get feed seed once a week on a sunday, Amaozn will sometimes get a top up, but because he eats food during the day which isnt seed we dont worry bout him not having seed all the time, so with seed in their cages its up to you really and what else they get.

Amazon lets us know when he is hungry he knows where the kitchen is and will make his way there and tell us so by letting out a noise, or if we have something to eat he will come sit with us and eat it too.
Adam and Dude