dairy products

Moderator: Mods

selma

dairy products

Post by selma »

my post seems to have disappeared into thin air so i'll ask again. is it ok to feed porridge (weetabix) with milk? i've read that parrots do not digest dairy very well. If i give him about a tablespoon of porridge with just a bit of milk to make it mushy can this harm him?
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

I would use water instead. Milk cant really be digested by birds. If you want to give your baby dairy only the tiniest piece of cheese or a drop of milk.

My birds do not get milk but veryrarely they get a little cheese, however they dont seem to really like it... just limit it, but I think they will enjoy it with water just as much!
-Chamon-

selma

Post by selma »

thanks datsun and fam. tomorrow i will give it to him with water. he just laps it up like a kitten. what about oats? do you know if they can eat it raw or does it have to be cooked?
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Dairy is a no-no but Peek-a-Boo tries to steal shredded cheese out of my mouth so I give her a little now and then but try really hard not to.

Some of us love alcohol, doesnt mean its good for us, that kinda thing.

I second Datsuns advice... water.
~ Mikaela Sky

colettec2000

dairy products

Post by colettec2000 »

Hi Selma,
Birds can eat oats either cooked or raw. My birds eat them both ways. My IRN prefers them raw, and my CAG likes them cooked.
I think it just depends on the bird.

Hope this helps, :wink:
COLETTE
Melika

Post by Melika »

Just if you do feed raw, cut the ammount by at least half. Since it will expand in their body. And if they're piggish they won't notice their full until too late. 0_o
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I swear Melika... sometimes I think you and I are USB'ed together :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

selma

Post by selma »

thanks everyone for the replies. Well, datsun we tried water instead of milk today. He gave one little lick and scampered off. Came back a few minutes later and turned his plate right over as if to say: that's what i think of porridge made with water. Fussy little bugger :D
So it was back to toast and peanut butter...tomorrow we'll try oats.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

bwahaha Welp Dats, looks like we have been foiled again! These things will make a liar out of ya everytime :lol:

*perk* Just had a thought. I dont drink milk but/and this may be a completely stupid question but could she use baby formula like that carnation first starts. It is supposibly alot easier digested by what they call 'comfort proteins'. Just a thought.
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Mikaela wrote:I swear Melika... sometimes I think you and I are USB'ed together :lol:

What's funny is when you changed your sig to what it is now it sorta freaked me out. It's similar to what I tell my sister when she's yelling at me about something, "You know, you don't have to yell. I'm standing right here, and I don't see how I'm 'making' you yell. You choose to yell at me... You decide how you react to things I say..." and ect. hehe. At least that's what I use when I'm irritated with her. ;)

I feel like I'm spamming, so I must include something relevant to this topic:

If you're only using a little milk, I don't see the problem with it in porraige. Just remember a little to you is a lot to a small parrot, lol. So think in bird sizes. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay