Seeing Red

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Seeing Red

Post by Lauren »

Anyones IRNs really hate a specific color?

I was re arranging Yodas cage the other day and as I was taking out the red concrete/sand perch, Jibby flew straight to my arm and attacked the perch, full force! He was growling something shocking too. Sounded like he was going to explode or something.. it was soo loud!

Ive never seen Jibby hate something so much before. I actually bought it for him because his nails need trimming. Vet wont do it. I'm sick of him sticking to the carpet and me like velcro. Might have to try buying a non color perch for him.

He hasn't gone near it since I bought it over a month ago. Yoda doesn't seem too fussed and sometimes sleeps on it. So its now Yoda's.

I was thinking about this reading another post, but didn't want to hijack a thread. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

We cant think of any colour that Toby or Amazon hate i guess they are fine with most colour when we find one they hate will let you know.
Adam and Dude
FGM

Post by FGM »

My Jangles doesn't like red,he will only eat tomato,capsicum or chillies if he sees you doing it.He will eat green chillies and capsicum though no problem.He also doesn't like any toys to be red either.I sometimes wonder how he copes with a red beak..lol :lol: :lol: :lol: [/img]
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Wonder what it is about the color red that makes them so angry? Funny how their lil brains work.
Yep, Jibs eats green stuff no problems. Good boy. He eats more greens than I do thats for sure. :roll:
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

With the IRN its probably (and this is just my assumption) because its the same colour of another IRN's beak, so its either attack or mate ? ..lol

Try getting a nice blue or yellow calcium perch, my babies love theirs. Its rough, chewable, lasts forever and as they climb and chew it keeps their nails and beaks in tip top shape, aswell as them ingesting needed calcium. You can get them in different sizes too.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I dont know why I picked up the red one. I first picked up a purple one. Came home with red. Bad choice. But atleast Yodas getting some use out of it. :roll: I think they are great perches. Lots of goodness. :wink:
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

o_0 they chew on the perches?? thats news to me lmao, they dont even like cuttlefish =\ hence beaks and claws SHARP lol.

I have a large light purple one, they both LOVE, i got a pinkish one, theyre not too keen on it, but for those that remember, i brought baby a playset off ebay when we first got her, and it had several red parts on it, and omg, she was freaked out by it every time u tried to put her on it, or when near it, as though it was gonna hurt us all.
Ive since sold it to a friend at work, who tells me her tiel didnt end up usin it, so shes sold it on to another friend, who she says actually gets some use out of it. So yea... red is a problem here, not so much for food though, but not too often i give the fids tomato, and since we dont eat capsicums.. i rarely buy them, just for the fids,as most goes to waste.
Hestia

Post by Hestia »

I read some where that IRN are afraid of the color red, the only will or can become tolerant of the color but it takes time.
I really wondered why this was, so I kept doing research and the only thing I could find on the subject was that it represents fear, & danger. I don't know why, but it is very very true.
My brother-in-law came over the other day wearing a red shirt, and Indie was squawking and yelling at him, and freaking out. I told him to get out, because he was upsetting my bird. its made me be very aware of what I am wearing around him.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Ha ha, I'd tell a guest to get out as well if they were upsetting my fids. :lol:

I'd agree with the color red being a danger sign. Guess you gotta teach them that red is o.k when they are young. Yoda doesn't seem to be scared of anything. Always 'beaking' everything and climbing on anything he can find. Ahh, 6 month olds. :roll:
FGM

Post by FGM »

When you think about it the only time in the wild they will see red is probably another bird as previous post in this topic or if a bird is hurt and bleeding.
I know a lot of birds don't like red.My mum wears a lot of red and Jangles always does this ear splitting high squawk when she comes near him.I have to cover him up or put him outside if she comes.I knew a peach face that was hand reared and it would attack anything red.
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

I wear red quite often maybe that is why our fids dont mind it, i cant seem to put my finger on what colour they dont like maybe they dont really care. lol.
Adam and Dude
sakib

Post by sakib »

Hi

this might help apparently and i quote

"Ringnecks recognize color. Beware, they are terrified of RED, especially as a baby. Do not try to handle them while wearing red nail polish. The bird's eyes will flash and he will lunge and bite at your nails. Don't hang red toys in or near the cage. Avoid wearing red when handling your baby. As your bird matures he should slowly learn to tolerate red. By a year old my own pets no longer reacted to the color red"

http://www.mresource.com/Birds/PERPET.HTM
see under behavior and discipline hope this helps at all
It doesn't matter what brings a person its what they leave with that counts
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Weird. Because my 6 year old, Jibby, only recently hates red. :shock: My 6 month old Yoda 'aint scared of nuttin!' Hehe.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Hey Sakib, your avatar sure did grow up in the last couple of days! What a cutie!
MCS
Occy

Post by Occy »

I got the purple one - he used to hate it - now uses it a lot.

His big bath is red - doesnt seem to stress about it
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

And then there are peaked caps :shock: lmao .. made that mistake only once .. Must be like a huge beak or something.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

ohhhh yes! caps definately. when i first got my hat, baby was so freaked out whenever id come near, however my partner, who practically lives in either his day hat or work hat, had no problems whatsoever.
Other than that - anything new is to be feared and avoided at all costs.
The shower perch is acceptable now, as long as they dont see it moving, or coming towards them haha