tragic accident

Moderator: Mods

Darlene

tragic accident

Post by Darlene »

Last Thursday there was a terrable accident with our baby Luna. My daughter was helping me look for something in the hutch in our dinning room. Luna was out running around playing. My daughter opened the side drawer on the hucth too far and it fell out just as little Luna ran under it, and it fell on him/her. She flew into the next room and collapsed. I could tell instantly she was badly hurt. My husband & I rushed her to the avian vet. He gave her three shots, one for shock, one was an anesthetic and one for pain. He took xrays and the only fracture he could see was her little pevic bone. He said she should heal, but she was going to be in pain until the swelling and bruiseing went away. He said a few to several days. Luna has not made a sound since she was injured and has no use of her legs & feet. It has been four days now and we are keeping her quiet and comfertable as possable. She does move around in the bottom of her cage, but pulls herself with her beek. I have been hand feeding her with baby formula and Harrisons high potency pellets, softened. All of us are just devistated about this. Luna has been a big part of our daily lives for two years. She is the baby of the family. My husband & I have been wipeing away the tears and my daughter is just crushed, becouse she feels responsable.
One other person emailed and said her cockateel had a bad fall and went into shock and had the same symptoms as Luna. Paralisis and no vocalization. But it slowely recovered.
That was helpful to hear that it may be possable for Luna to regain use of her legs & feet and voice. We look every day for the smallest improvement to happen. But it is hard to keep from thinking the worst.
The sadness here is almost unbearable. We are trying to hang onto some hope. We just don't know what we would do without our baby Luna. and we feel so sorry for her.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:cry: Poor lil Luna! So sorry to hear. No matter how much you bird proof your home these things can happen. Your daughter can't blame herself. Accidents happen no matter how much we try to stop them. I hope Luna recovers soon and can get through the pain. Stay positive. She can pull through. Lots of love and hugs for Luna, yourself and your family. :cry:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Darlene:

Im so sorry. Please continue to visit us and give us updates.

*hugs you*

I dont know what to say in times like this. Death and/or serious injury is the only thing I tip toe around. Since Im not good with tip toeing Im at a loss so I'll just hug you. :wink:

As PSchick said... wasnt anyones fault. That drawer was as likely to fall on that Baby as an airplane overhead. Awful things happen. Noones fault.
~ Mikaela Sky

Darlene

Luna update

Post by Darlene »

Hello again,
This is day 5 and there is a couple of slight improvements from yesterday. Luna has made some weak sounds today in reaction to my husband & I. And she can shake and fan her tail when she wants to. We did see her pull her leg back when we touched it. and she opened her little foot. She pulls herself around and manages to pull her legs up under her.
Our avian vet called this morning to check on Luna. He said to give it at least two weeks to heal and to show improvement. and

there could have been some spineal cord trauma, but if the spineal cord is in tact, she could slowely heal and recover.
So we aren't giveing up on her. Luna has always been a determined little thing when she wants something. So we are counting on her to fight her way back. It is just hard for us to see her so helpless.
There are two things I would like your input on that may help when the time comes. First is: My husband is a big guy that is kind of rough around the edges, but a big softy inside. He has become so bonded to our baby Luna, that this has been very painful for him and he shows it. He said if things don't work out so Luna recovers and we loose her, He will never go through this again. Meaning that he wouldn't want to get attached to anouther baby or even give it a chance. This is the way he feels right now.
But as for me, I am trying to stay possitive that Luna will make it with all the love & care we are giveing her. But if it isn't to be, then we have all the Parrot equipment that we have invested in that will just be sitting there empty. I feel it would help us to find anouther IRN to have to turn our attention to, that needs a good home.
Sometimes in pet stores I will see a parrot sitting in a cage alone and just sleeps all the time from boredom. And I feel so sorry for it. But I hope no one thinks I am hard hearted just becouse I would try to find anouther one. Not to replace Luna, but to help us heal from this and to help anouther parrot or IRN that needs love and care. I just hope we don't have to face this.
:) Thank you for your relpy it is much appreciated
Darlene
coz

Post by coz »

It's surprising how much love we have in our hearts!
If and when you need to make that decision, you both, will make the right one together.
Anyway I am sure Luna will be better than ever. It may just take a while.
Stay positive
Coralie :)
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

Darlene, like the others mentioned, it was no one's fault but still it's difficult. I'm glad to hear that Luna is slowly improving. Please keep us updated and i will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

*hug*
~the stubborn one~
Peanut

Post by Peanut »

im so sorry to hear that. i will have luna and you in my thoughts and prayers. i hope she gets well soon!
Darlene

Thank you all

Post by Darlene »

It is surpriseing how many friends are there for support when you think you are the only one with hard luck. Luna's got friends she doesn't know about. And she is in the hands of a higher power. We are just here to help her.
I just have to say that I would highly recommend an IRN to anyone looking for the ideal little companion. From haveing Luna I have learned a lot about parrots especially the IRN. They learn easy, but can have a mind of thier own. Luna has developed a cute little personality to fit us, her flock. Lots of cute mischief and humor. Determination for problem solveing. Affectionate and sweet and so what if they are vocal, it is a really cute little voice. Sometimes Luna's little voice would be muffled sounding, becouse we would find her inside of the book case behind the glass door looking out at us. LOL. We just hope she will again be up to her usual mischief. I promise! I will never ever complain to her about her mischief or messes she makes.
Thank you all for the positive support. I'm glad there is a place like this.
Darlene
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thats so sweet Darlene. :wink: A true lover of IRNs.

Group hugs for lil Luna. :wink:
Pounamu

Post by Pounamu »

poor lil Luna, my heart sank when i read it, but it sounds like she is making good progress. Stay positive.

When my IRN flew out the window (my mum left it open when she took the bird out) never to be seen again I found it helped getting another IRN, although i had trouble switching to the new name, the new IRN gave me something to take my mind off what had happened.

But I do hope Luna makes a full recovery.
Darlene

some good news !

Post by Darlene »

:) Guess what ! tonight Luna made a sound for the first time since the accident/injury. Weak, but her usual little call when she wants attention. And she ate by herself for the first time. :D There has been improvements today. All we are waiting for now is signs that she can use her legs & feet. If she can grab a pencil with her foot or feet, then we will know she will walk again. But one thing at a time. Just wanted to tell you all the good news. OH YES ! Our Lunas little personality is comming back. She bit me on my finger. LOL :lol:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

That is so good to hear! Go Luna! Stay positive. Keep us updated :wink:
Darlene

Hope for Luna fadeing

Post by Darlene »

:cry: It has been a week since Luna was injured, Two days ago we started hearing vocal sounds and calls from Luna. And we were thinking this is the beginning of recovery. But today we have seen no improvements in Luna being able to move his legs or feet. There is little or no response when we touch his legs or feet. He is still pulling his self with his beek. God! that is hard to watch. We are beginning to think by now, that there will be no recovery of the paralisis in his legs & feet. There must be spineal cord damage . We don't know if his little pelvic bone has healed enough to stand. But the paralisis has something to do with his back. No broken bones in his back, but could be spineal cord trauma. We will have to make a decision in the next few days, about putting Luna to sleep, if we don't see any improvement. I don't want Luna to suffer if it means he won't walk again. He doesn't understand why he can't get around and do the things he used to do. It is so sad. So we may have to love him enough to let him go, if there is no signs of movement in the next several days. This is killing us :cry:
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Hang tough. Spinal cord trauma can take a really long time to heal (or for the swelling to just go down). I know this is incredibly hard for you and your family, but trust your vet would tell you if Luna was in any pain. That being the case, he is already in a better place, or taking a nice rest. Don't blame yourselves! Our thoughts and warm wishes are with you.
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Catschair is right. Hang in there and stay positive. Might not happen soon. But Luna is in the best environment he can be in right now. I can't imagine how heart breaking this is for you and your family. If my fids ever were hurt I know I would do everything in my power to help them and wouldnt give up hope too soon. Its a hard decision.

Sending my love to you, your family and Luna.
fiona

Post by fiona »

:cry: I am so so sorry. I would die if anything happened to fiona. I hope he's doing better. Don't feel bad if you have to put him down. It is a very selfless act ....thinking more of him and his happiness than your own. Honestly I don't know if I could be that strong. Accidents happen. Atleast it was a freak accident. I once killed two lizards and one of my favorite frogs that are kind of rare because I forgot to turn the heat down. I literally killed my animals. I felt horrible and cried for a long time. So, it could be worse. I hope your daughter is feeling better about the situation, she shouldn't blame herself.
Darlene

Giveing it more time

Post by Darlene »

Thank You all for your support. If we ever needed some help to stay possitive, this is it. Today I sat Luna down in some mildly warm water for his bath. He can't stand so he needs to be cleaned up frequantly. It is a good way to let him have some excersise. The splashing is fun time and good for his circulation. I had my hand under him for support and also to feel if he was trying to move his little legs. I wrapped him in a towel and held him and he went to sleep. Before he was injured, he was too much in a hurry to get down and go play, to take time for cuddling. If Luna recovers by some miracle, he can be as bratty as he wants. I won't complain. We all know that IRNs can be little brats sometimes. But when you are that cute, you can get away with it. He can chew all the remotes he wants if he just can heal and get back to normal. Thanks for the help to stay possative.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:wink: Keep us updated, we all have our fingers crossed for Luna. :wink:
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Oh hun, you are doing the best you can and from what you say plus what we all know about ringnecks he's not ready to give up and nor should you. You will know if it ever gets to a stage where he is suffering. But being a determined little brat that we know all ringnecks are I am sure he can give this all he's got. Even the smallest improvement is a huge accomplishment, give it time and know we are all sending positive thoughts your way.

Oh and did you tell him about the remotes? Coz thats a good bribe!! :lol:

((Luna)) ((Darlene))
-Chamon-

Darlene

Day 9 update

Post by Darlene »

Well here I am again, on an emotional roller coaster. When we got up this morning and saw there was no change with Luna, we were both quiet and had a heavy feeling of sadness and dred of how this will turn out. So my husband held him for a while and stroked his little legs and back while I fixed his feeding for him. He wouldn't eat and took his little tongue and spit the food out. As sad as I felt for him, his useing that little tongue to spit his food out made me laugh at him. I changed his bed and gave him a warm bath. And while I was holding him, I was strokeing his back and moveing his legs for circulation and to relax his muscles.
I put my finger under his little toes and I felt his toes curl around my finger. I looked down and he had those little toes bent around my finger. I couldn't believe it! I pulled his leg out a bit and felt some resistance like he was trying to pull his leg back. Then I put my finger under his toes again and this time he not only curled his toes around my finger but he sqeezed down and tightened his grip. kind of weak, but definatly where he had a grip on my finger. THANK YOU GOD ! he had movement in his leg and foot. That heavy sad feeling started to lift and we have new hope now, that baby Luna may recover.
Lunas little cute voice is sounding a little stronger, but he still isn't talking. Even if he never talks again, as long as he heals and won't be paralized.
Mabey the trauma he has been through has made him forget he used to talk. We will help him through that too.
I will keep updateing lunas condition. We will do what all of you said and try to keep believeing in Luna that he will keep trying to beat this.
Thank you all for being here when we have really needed other people who have IRNs, that know what beautiful elegant and awsome loveing pets they are.
Darlene & Jim
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

That is wonderful. It is good to know that Luna is hanging in there. You all keep fighting as long as it is right; we are in the trenches with you!
MCS
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

yes, please keep us updated! Poor little ringneck. It's going to take time to heal...keep doing what you are doing and keep us updated...we are here for you! :wink:

Best Wishes,

Imran
Pounamu

Post by Pounamu »

Thats great news.
fiona

Post by fiona »

YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY :lol:
I was so worried, I told my bf about it, and we were both pulling for Luna!
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

oooooh wow, congrats on the progress!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats fantastic, i dont know how id act if something happened to my fids, i dont have kids lol, they are my kids as i tell ppl.
Please keep us posted on any more news.
*gives luna some corn kernels and scratches*
and hugss Darlene, you must be feeling so relieved, keep up the good work and his physio lol and hopefully he will be at those remotes soon :D
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Keeping Luna in my prayers. God bless you for the wonderful work you are doing to rehabilitate him, I know Luna knows how much you love him, just by the way you are caring for him. Just know how much you are learning, you will have so much to share with others that may go through this. Luna is one special bird, and when he pulls through the bond you will have will be incredible.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Darlene

Luna's vet visit

Post by Darlene »

Hello everyone, thank you for just being here to listen and help us stay possitive. WOW! it has been a tough two weeks since Luna was hurt. We here have days that we can't see the end of the sadness for little Luna and we wipe away the tears, becouse we see his playstand without him on it and other favorite hangouts around the house. And we wander if Luna will ever be able to stand and walk again. But we try to sound cheerful around Luna, becouse parrots are very much in tune to our emotions. Sometimes when they are bratty it is becouse they feel our anger or frustrations we are haveing that day.
We took Luna to see the vet today and he said Luna does have some nerve damage and that it is a good thing that we are doing theropy and range of motion excersises on him. And it is a good sign that Luna has moved his legs & feet a little. It has only been two weeks and this type of injury may take monthes to mend. He weighed him and he is 120 grams, so that isn't too bad for the kind of shock & trauma he has been through. I am hand feeding him the Harrisons pellets , the high potency formula, to make sure he is getting extra nutrition to help recovery. We are doing the range of motion theropy with his legs & feet, and I put him in some warm water sometimes. And we just take turns holding him and keeping him relaxed and stress free.
If it takes monthes or a year or whatever it takes we will continue treatment untill Luna is healed and strong again. He is already acting like he wants to play more now. So he is not acting like he is haveing pain.
I will see you here for updates as they happen. I hope it will all be good news.
:) Darlene
kyria
Site Admin

Re: Luna's vet visit

Post by kyria »

I will see you here for updates as they happen. I hope it will all be good news.
:) Darlene

Amen to that *Hugz*
Last edited by kyria on Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Darlene

Progress happening with Luna !

Post by Darlene »

:D Hey everyone!
I think things are happening with Luna. My husband & I have both been working with Luna for care and theropy. We have been sitting Luna in some warm water and doing range of motion theropy and massages to his legs and feet. There was just very weak slight movement sometimes before. But today there is suddenly some strong movement in his legs and opening his toes. During thropy today, I tried to pull his leg foreward and he strongly resisted and pulled his leg back several times. and he opened his toes when I touched his foot. It is the strongest movement we have seen. His other leg on the side of the injury is moveing but not strong yet. YES! and he is showing that he can feel something cold on his foot. He pulls it back when I touch his foot with a Q tip dipped in cold water. When he gets so he can grasp something in his feet, we will try standing him up. If he feels his feet touching a surface, then mabey he will start trying to stand. But we have to get the other little leg stronger yet.
There is anouther sign that feeling is comming back in his feet. Or that he may be feeling a little discomfort from feeling comming back. I found blood on his towel from chewing his toe nails until they bleed. Becouse now he can get his foot up to his beek. I put aloe vera on his toes and feet but we don't know why he is doing this. Luna has never been a feather biter or feather plucker.
So in one way this is a good sign, but not good for him to chew his toenails until they bleed. Could this be some kind of anxiety? becouse he is getting feeling back ? Do your IRNs ever make a little growely noise when they get cranky? This little mini growel is what he did today when I touched his foot with something cold.
You all have said to stay possitive. It has been hard sometimes and we are not through it yet. But Luna isn't going to give up, and Luna doesn't know how many friends he has. And we are seeing some real hope that he just might get through this.
Thanks to all of you.
Darlene & Jim
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:wink: Thats great news! Not long now before Lunas up and about causing mischief again! I can see it!

I'd be watchful of this 'toe chewing'. Might be a sign, Luna is not happy right now. But I'd be very unhappy in poor Lunas situation too. Could be anxiety, discomfort.. I'm guessing Luna gets regular vet visits. Maybe your vet could help you out with stopping this.

The growling is normal. My 2 fids both growl when they don't like something. Lunas just saying, 'I don't like that!' even though he can't get around like he used to he's still got a big attidude! hehe. :lol:

Can't wait to see the videos of Luna up and about! :wink: Remember to keep positive. Wishing you all a happy recovery.
Darlene

toenail chewing

Post by Darlene »

Yes we have an avian vet that we take Luna to for maintanance and check ups. We just had Luna there last Tuesday for a follow up after his injury. The vet said the paralisis in his legs could mean some nerve damage that may be temporary and can a long time to heal. But the toenail chewing didn't start until after we had Luna to see the vet. The toenail chewing just started after he is reacting to touch on his feet and is haveing stronger movement in his legs. The Paralisis could also be from shock that he is beginning to come out of. In iether case I am guessing that as feeling comes back it may a little stressful becouse he may have some uncomfortable feelings or even some pain until the muscels are back working good again. I can get some calming medication for him from www.petmedicinechest.com They are very helpful with all kinds of health issues with pets & birds. Mabey for now, it would help to give Luna something natural to calm him while he is in this part of healing and getting movement back. And we can contact our avian vet. I will let you know what we find out on this. Right now I am putting an anti chewing aid on his toes. It is called " Birdie Bitters " it is for feather plucking and chewing. It tastes really bitter. and helps discourage this kind of behavior. I am hopeing this is just a temporary side effect.
Janice L Parks

Post by Janice L Parks »

:cry: Oh Darlene I have just been reading through your heartbreaking story. I think what you and your husband are doing show's true love of your baby. I don't know of any advise to give you except that I read in my parott book that like humans birds need sunlight. If you have a window where the sun shines in a little warm rays might help. I'm pulling for Luna and I pray that your daughter doesn't beat her self up about the accident, because that's what it was, an accident. Maybe the chewing on Luna's toes is kinda like when your foot or arm goes to sleep and how it aches when the feeling comes back. I'll be glued to the computer to hear about your babies progress. Huggs to all of you. We will turn our frowns upside down. :( :D
Janice & Prettygirl
FGM

Post by FGM »

Hi Darlene,I am new to this forum and just read your post about this stressfull part of your lives.My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family,including Luna of course.
It sounds like you are taking wonderful care of your precious Luna and I hope Luna has a speedy recovery.
Could Luna be chewing because he has not as much to do now because loss of movement?I hope it doesn't last.Sending you ((((((((hugs))))))))
fiona

Post by fiona »

Janice, You can also get reptiles lights that put out uva and uvb rays. People can use these too when they are depressed. :wink:
Janice L Parks

Post by Janice L Parks »

I knew they had big expensive lights people used up north, but I never thought about reptile lights. Thanks for the hint. :o I grew up in Oregon which can be very depressing with all the rain so that's why I moved to Texas. My husband grew up here. I'm waiting to hear an update on Luna's progress.
Janice & Prettygirl
Darlene

Luna saw vet

Post by Darlene »

Hello
Today Luna saw two avian vets. Our primary avian vet, had anouther vet meet us there when we brought Luna in. Both were very interested in Luna's injury and the spineal trauma and the reaction to shock syndrom. Our primary vet knows how Luna had paralisis of his legs and feet when the injury occured. At two weeks after the injury, we took Luna back to get his oppinion of the paralisis and to check Luna over for weight loss and any healing and to see if Luna was haveing a lot of pain etc. At that time he was suprised that Luna was not seriously under weight do to shock and trauma. One of the risks of that kind of shock and stress is the immune system weakens and the bird becomes ill on top of the injury and they do die. In Lunas case there wasn't even any seriouse weight loss. And the vet said there was some nerve damage and can take a long time to heal. I was hand feeding Luna on high potency pellet food and puried fruit a mixture of herbs added to the formula. And was offering an organic parrot food mix that I order from ( www.greyfeathertoys.com) I also get the dried herb mix from them. We are doing range of motion theropy on Lunas legs and massages about five times a day. We are putting Luna down on the floor surrounded by his toys and paper to shred, just to keep him from getting depressed and for excersise. We pick him up and cuddle and love him and he takes his naps on us. He gets lowered in warm water to splash as part of his theropy. Now Luna has been moveing his legs and pulling back when we straighten his legs out and a very strong resistance with his legs now. And opening his toes. The vets are very incouraged about Luna recovering now that they have seen this improvement over the last few days. They think the reason Luna is chewing his toe nails is becouse feeling is returning in his toes and it may be temporary. But the vet said if he keeps up the chewing he will make a small collar for Luna so he can't reach his toes. About a UV lamp. We have a avian UV lamp that we keep over his cage. Also I have a humidifier and an air purifier for a healthy environment. We live in western Washington state, So we use pellet stoves for heat, which can dry the air too much, and we do need the UV lamp becouse there is a lot of cloudy weather here. We have wind storms here from fall through spring. So we have a generator becouse there are power outages here during some high winds. Sorry this is so long, but I had a lot to tell you all. I guess I could have just said " We have good news, there is progress with Luna. " :D But I wanted to tell you what we are doing to help Luna survive and recover so he can be a happy little fid again. Thank you all for your encouragement in this hard time. I'll keep the reports going and please pray we don't have any set backs and that progress will continue. We are working on getting his ammune system strong again also. There is so much to think of when you are trying to pull a small fragile bird back from possable death to live a normal life again. Some people have said " it's just a bird, why go to all this bother ? " That is when I have some very evil thoughts, and feel like I will loose it. :evil:
kyria
Site Admin

Re: Luna saw vet

Post by kyria »

Darlene wrote:We are putting Luna down on the floor surrounded by his toys and paper to shred

I got a rush of fear when I began this sentence :shock: don't scare me like that.

I am keeping you and Luna in my prayers, you are doing an amazing Job and I am sure the vets are impressed and learning from this themselves, well done ! God Bless you !
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

FGM

Post by FGM »

You are doing a wonderful job at looking after Luna.I sure hope that the improvements keep coming.It makes me so angry when people say stupid comments like "its just a bird".They are "just a homosapien" lets put them down when they have a injury.We are all animals and all have a soul and spirit.Luna couldn't ask for a better owner.Don't ever think your post is too long,its good to know what you are doing so we can learn from it aswell.Thoughts and prayers are still with you and Luna.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

You are doing such a great job! I hope to have someone like you around if I ever need to get better -- you are an inspiration.
MCS
Janice L Parks

Post by Janice L Parks »

:D Oh thank God for Luna's progress. I would do anything to save an injured animal. And they are not "Just Birds" they are family members. Keep up the good work and know that we are all pulling for Luna and family. :)
Janice & Prettygirl
Darlene

Luna on herbal program

Post by Darlene »

(Hi Janice & everyone
I want to let you know that Luna is presantly about the same, but no set backs. I have known about an all natural and herbal medical treatment web-site for a long time now. It is called ( pet medicine chest ) the web address for birds is; ( www.avianmedicinechest.com) They treat all kinds of seriouse illnesses and are successful in cases where they were told to give up and put there suffering bird to sleep. They turned to avian medicine chest for last resort help, and today there bird has not only recovered but is in robust health. They treat for trauma and shock after injuries, surgery and broken bones.
I contacted them and told them what kind of parrot I have and how old and about the injury and affects from shock. They replied right away and recommended that we treat luna for low ammune system, that happens from shock, and for strenghtening his whole body with a program several herbal treatments. and for helping rebuild cell damage and getting toxins out of his system that can be responsable for slow recovery.
I ordered the medications, becouse what they say makes sense to me. I got the shipment today and have started Luna on several herbal medications that can all work togather for raiseing his ammune system and removeing toxins that the body produces during shock. and other things.
We have nothing to loose, and will try this if it means it can speed up recovery. It is all natural and you can't overdose. In fact to start with the more often the bird is treated, the better start they get off to.
I am very interested in what you all think about this and especially if it works and helps Luna, then I want you all to know about this. You might need it some time and it also is good to maintain good strong ammune systems and good health for your bird.
Your advice is important to us here. Thank you for just being here when we have needed other bird owners who are as bonded to there babies as we are. If I have anything helpful to you to pass on, I'm happy to do it.

Darlene
Donna

Post by Donna »

Darlene I have used avian medicine chest for a few years now and every product I've used give me satisfactory results. You won't be disappointed.

Good luck and big HUGS to Luna

Donna :D
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi Donna
Thanks for your reply, I wanted to hear from other parrot owners who have used the avian medicine chest.
Question: what products have you used and for what purpose ?

Darlene
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

aw, thanks for the update. I kept thinking about luna all day. keep doing what your doing and let us know how the meds work out. I know she'll get better, you are doing everything you can -- please keep us updated! We are all thinking about your Luna and wishing for the best! :wink:

Best Wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
Donna

Post by Donna »

Darlene I've been useing the systemajuv for my babies in their formula.

Donna :D
Janice L Parks

Post by Janice L Parks »

Hi everyone especially Luna and family. I haven't turned my computer on since last Friday because I have been really sick. :cry: Finally got to the doctor yesterday so I think I will make it. So many viruses going around down here in Texas, but I don't know why I have to get all of them. I will make a note of the web site in case I may need it sometime. I like natural cures. I have heard that your dog can get a cold from you and I was wondering if our birds can get sick from us. I hope not because Prettygirl is by me all the time.
Janice & Prettygirl
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

:( sad to hear you have been sick, hope you pick up 100% really soon Janice.

*Still praying for Luna and family
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Not many viruses that pass between humans and birds (with a few really bad examples), so I suspect your baby will be fine. Hope you feel better, there are some nasties going around Cali too!
MCS
Darlene

Just checking in

Post by Darlene »

Hello everyone
I am just letting you all know that Luna is well and isn't up on his feet yet, but the vet said it is encourageing that Luna has feeling and movement in his legs. and this paralisis could be from nerve damage and effects of shock that can take monthes to heal or longer. So far I am giveing Luna the medications and vitamins and Pre-post heal from avian medicine chest. His energy is picking up and he is acting stronger. And Luna isn't about to let a little thing like his legs not working stop him from getting around. We put him on the carpet to get some excersise and he pulls his self around with his beek. Unties shoe laces, gets into the news paper and shreds it, chewed the nose off his teddy bear, and anything else he can do. he is eating better and when he is tired, he will call for one of us to come and pick him up, so he can take his nap while we are holding him. It is so sweet.
At least luna is healthy and there is movement in his legs and strong resistance in his legs. We are just waiting for those little toes to start moveing so he can hold a foot toy or perch. Then we will stand him in warm water to get him used to standing, the water will take any weight off his legs at first. and help him to learn that it doesn't hurt to stand and that he can stand. So as soon as we get to the next level of progress, we can start the water theopy.
I want to thank all of you for helping us as we go through the theropy and try to help Luna walk again. The little guy just isn't going to give up. So we are here for him. I think our pets can teach us a lot about courage, love and not quiting just becouse things are tough. We just have to admire what we see in Luna. I am trusting him that he knows he will get better and will not give up. :)
Darlene
Darlene

reply for Janice

Post by Darlene »

Hi Janice
I'm sorry to hear you have been sick. The flu in the form of a bad respiratory thing has been going around here in my area in western Washington. I was wandering the same thing, if your birds can catch a cold or virus from us. I am glad to hear that it isn't likely.
We hope you are feeling better.
Darlene