HELP

Moderator: Mods

sonic70

HELP

Post by sonic70 »

hi my mum has a indian ring neck that bites her all the time and she lets im get away with it :roll: by laughing at him i keep on telling h er that he thinks he is top bird bt she wont listen wat should we do about his biting........... evey time he bites her she is like "BE A NICE BOY"

regards Tamara
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

She needs to understand that shes only making the biting worse by reacting in that way. I used to scream 'oooouch!' because I couldnt help it. But Ive trained myself to walk away and not make a fuss. Your mum needs to train herself first then the bird. If she doesnt, she wont have a very pleasant bird to be around. Have to have a 'I am Flock Leader' attitude.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

PsittaculaChick wrote:She needs to understand that shes only making the biting worse by reacting in that way. I used to scream 'oooouch!' because I couldnt help it. But Ive trained myself to walk away and not make a fuss. Your mum needs to train herself first then the bird. If she doesnt, she wont have a very pleasant bird to be around. Have to have a 'I am Flock Leader' attitude.

Couldnt have said it better. Laughing is like saying Good boy! Love when you bite me and put me in my place!

She needs to keep a straight face and turn her back to him EVERY TIME he bites her. She then should turn around twice MAX and offer another change for him to do the right thing.

If he makes poor decisions and bites still. He is left to think about what made his mama sadly turn around and walk away.

I have 4 real kids, 5 fids. All boys :!:

I can measure intelligence fairly well and I know every bird I have is far more manipulative and smart then any three yr old I have ever met.

They know exactly what they are doing. Upside, they are smart enough to learn better. Just have to be taught.
~ Mikaela Sky

sonic70

Post by sonic70 »

yea well try telling her that lol he dousent bite me coz when he did i blew on him and put him ion his cage and coverd ghim up fo r 1 minute but he trys to bite mm he is spoilt rotten coz she reared him from a bald chic so he is her baby.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Thats sad... hand raised as a bald chick and she cant interact with the bird.

Like it... me or not, this is NOT the birds problem. The problem lies completely with the owner. Ringnecks need interaction. This saddens me.

Please print this and show it to her. We know she loves him so lets help her do the right things.

She would NOT think it to be funny to be made to accept the way she handles her bird is extremely contrary/in contrast to, that of bird owners interacting with their tame, trained birds.

She needs help understanding these things. Obviously.
~ Mikaela Sky

avril

Post by avril »

Ask your mum this simple question.

"Mum would you laugh if one of your children bit you all the time?"

Tell her if he is her baby then she must train herself to be responsible in his proper upbringing,
sonic70

Post by sonic70 »

nonono you hav got it all rong lol she interacts with him all the time and he dousent attack her all the timeether i dont wat his problem is but yea when he duz try and bite her he whistles and says hello.to be onest the only thing i can put his biting to is he thinks he is higher up the ladder like above mum but he hasnt bitten me.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I dont think we are saying she treats the bird badly, Im sure he is well loved. :wink: We all make mistakes. When I first got my Jibby I knew nothing about IRNs. I learnt alot.

Your mums bird might think biting is a game, might be telling your mum that he doesnt like something shes doing or asserting himself as flock leader. There are alot of reasons why a bird bites. Its a way of communication in the flock. But he needs to know that biting will not be tolerated. And he is not the leader. Just like if you had a dog that was very dominant and thought it was 'pack leader' you wouldnt tolerate this from a dog. Birds can be hard to handle if they think that biting is ok. Especially if you have small children around. I dont think your mum would like a dominant biting bird after all the hand rearing and raising.
sonic70

Post by sonic70 »

im going to show mum this for sure coz yea its not roight that cosmo bites her and not me. we had a corrella that used to bite her has well but that was after he came home from a holliday coz mum was going threw cemo atm of time and her turned on her we had to rehouse him coz he bit her on the face but that a diffrent story all to gether lol but yea he wasnt happy ether he has gone a realy good home now i saw him a couple of weeks ago and he is soooo happy he is bloody spoilt rotten again that is a diffrent story so yea. back to cosmo and mum im oing to get mum to read this tonight.
sonic70

Post by sonic70 »

dont know what my daughter has been saying to u people but u are all way off track so is my daughter. my bird dosn't bite all the time. and when he does get into one of his moods like now. cause i have been at work all day. i certainly don't let him get away with it. quite the opposite. he does have moments when he is on top of his cage and he will lunge at me and then whistle. and i say to him no!!!!. be a nice boy.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I thought that was the case! The typing says it all. See, always 2 sides of a story. I can't 'see' people here so I just read what is typed. People mostly read facial expressions and body language but its hard to do here. :wink:

Birds lunge and bite, thats a fact, but we can minimise it and teach them good behaviour. Even saying anything is a reaction. Just offering advice here no matter what the case is. :wink:

I know the 'moods' they can get in. My Jibby is a bit hormonal at the moment so hes extra frustrated and likes to attack my feet. :roll: And I do do the wrong thing and run away laughing, I dont know why, maybe I just think its funny that I'm being chased by a rampaging bird.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Welcome PSchick. :lol:

Like I have always said... Im not here to make friends, Im here to teach people about ringnecks.

Cant be 'liked' and say things people dont want to hear at the same time so go ahead and suck that up punkin. *hugs you*

For two yrs I was alone in this... this is such a relief for me :!:
~ Mikaela Sky

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello mom,

Great to have you here! While reading the posts you insisted that while your ringneck is on top of the cage he tends to bite? If so, this is territorial behavior and needs to be corrected.

Start by quickly offering your hand to your ringneck. Your hand should move directly under his chest to make him step up. Do not hold your hand in front of him—that’s an accident waiting to happen (you’ll get a nasty bite). This quick hand movement should force him off balance and make him step up without thinking. By doing this, you’re showing your ringneck that territorial behavior is not tolerated. The moment you acknowledge his territorial behavior, your ringneck has won the battle. Archimedes tried the same shenanigans.

Also, you mentioned that you tell your bird no in a firm voice if he bites. Do not do this. I know we tend to revert to a dog/human companionship; however, with parrots you need to take a different approach. Just ignoring the biting is the key to success! You’ll be amazed at how quickly your ringneck alters its attitude.

Hope this helps & pleas keep us updated, :wink:

Imran Chaudhry
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Imran is exactly right. I've been telling my partner this over and over again. :roll:

Mik, I'm used to being 'misunderstood'. Its my life. :wink: Theres always gonna be someone that twists my words.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Amen and true dat! :lol:

Team work! :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky