same subject different problem - bluffing?

Moderator: Mods

Topaz

same subject different problem - bluffing?

Post by Topaz »

Jade still won't let me near it in the cage, this is what happens when I step up near the cage, or put my hand in gently on one of the perches (also did the smae with hubby when he was close to the cage) - my question is

is Jade bluffing, or is this more serious?

The video was taken from outside the cage, sorry about the bars across the picture.
Anne
controlled by:
2 Poodles, 1 Maltese, 1 tiel, 3 INR's
Oh & a hubby
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

How old is she? She may be just possesive of her cage. Have you tried picking her up when shes out of the cage? Try an arm instead of a finger or hand? Could be bluffing but then some birds are very possesive of their belongings.
I never try to pick Gilbert up when hes in his cage. If I have his bell he comes out and steps up. I use it as a step up tool as well as saying 'up up up'. Any toys she adores?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Topaz

Post by Topaz »

Interesting you call Jade "she" - I have a feeling that "she" is a female. Only 5 months old, and so far haven't been able to get anywhere near enough to try and teach step up, let alone out of the cage - oh my I've got a long way to go methinks!!

There don't seem to be any toys in particular that Jade likes, plays with most of them equally, can't find anything special in the way of food either to use as treats!!
Anne
controlled by:
Oh & a hubby
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Try sitting and talking softly with Jade. Or hold your hand in the cage for a few minutes a day even if she bites or try just sitting near the cage without touching.

Jade is about the same age as Yoda. The first few weeks he would hide from me anywhere he could. So I didnt try to make him step up. I would just sit in the room with him untill he'd poke his head out from his hiding spot. Then I tried to put my finger in his cage and he automatically stepped onto my finger!
Yoda is now comfortable with me around untill I say 'up up up!' then he flys away, when I do have Yoda on my hand its only for a few seconds while he figures out where to escape to. So I have a long way to go too! :roll:

Maybe just try a few weeks of not touching?
Topaz

Post by Topaz »

WEll I took Jade out of the cage for the first time this morning, well more like allowed J to find its own way out, used one of the toys on the ramp to encourage. It worked!!

I found out though that we can fly a little better than I would like, so I may have to take another couple of flight feathers off - have already done 5, ideas?

Long story shortened, managed (with a glove on) to do a couple of step ups (plus a few good bites - no I didn't react!! :lol: :lol: ) and then back in the cage - sooooooooooooo maybe I have a little progress - will try again this afternoon out of the cage. :D
Anne
controlled by:
Oh & a hubby
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Wonderful! Thats some progress! :D Gotta take some earned bites every now and then.

Id only take one more flight feather off each wing. Yoda has 5 on each and can still fly. So I may have to take another off.

Goodluck with the step ups! :D
Donna

Post by Donna »

Jade has no other way besides biting to tell you she does not like what your doing. If you can't reach in and get her it's perfectly fine to let her come out on her own. Gloves won't teach her anything but to fear them. After she is out of the cage on her own. Try using a perch for her to step up on. If she will not step up on perch let her wonder around on her own for a while. If she should fly to the floor try doing the step up from the floor. A T-stand is also good to use when teaching the step up. Take the bird and T-stand to a place where she can't see her cage. Use good hand bad hand technique placing one hand behind her and the other hand for her to step up on pushing on her breast bone and saying step up. If she does then go to stepping up ladder techique where you take your hands and move them up on one hand to the other the whole time saying step up. Reward her with treat or a kind voice.

Donna
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Baby has been acting stupid for two weeks, no reason. :roll:
~ Mikaela Sky

Donna

Post by Donna »

Hormones :roll:

Donna
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Donna wrote:Jade has no other way besides biting to tell you she does not like what your doing. If you can't reach in and get her it's perfectly fine to let her come out on her own. Gloves won't teach her anything but to fear them. After she is out of the cage on her own. Try using a perch for her to step up on. If she will not step up on perch let her wonder around on her own for a while. If she should fly to the floor try doing the step up from the floor. A T-stand is also good to use when teaching the step up. Take the bird and T-stand to a place where she can't see her cage. Use good hand bad hand technique placing one hand behind her and the other hand for her to step up on pushing on her breast bone and saying step up. If she does then go to stepping up ladder techique where you take your hands and move them up on one hand to the other the whole time saying step up. Reward her with treat or a kind voice. Donna

God as my witness... this is too my technique and it has worked with every, not most, every bird.

That baby is far too young to bluff. Wouldnt even give that anymore thought.

Proof? Alrighty. :lol:

Mean Baby bird!

*strike*

When a bird outsmarts me, Im opening a vain dude... for real. :wink:

Once on the stick, give the step up command. They will comply. Promise. Result...

~ Mikaela Sky

ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

we have had the same probs with archimides lately, today i took him into the bedroom, sat down on the bed, managed to hold him for a few mins, petting and talking to him softly b4 he flapped off kept pickin him up, he kept going 'squack!!' and jumping off again, thats his angry noise he makes now he cant fly ill get a vid of it sometime haha, i took that as my ok, lets try stepping up. Held my hand out 'come on archimedes' i use come on instead of step up. he did it a few times, got kisses and good boy and pets, after a few times i went to get the sunflower seeds for treats, but he didnt want em, just kept flying off, i took that as ok, sessions over for today, lets see how 2morrow goes....
(btw sidetrack, lol ur ring is very pretty mik whatta rock!!! hehe reminds me of my engagement ring lmao i finally got it last weekend, just need to get it resized to my tiny finger now haha)
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

And I just upgraded the stone :lol: :oops:

INVESTMENT! And I have a carat in every ear, 5 carats on my wrist. Im a survivalist... if anything ever happens to me I want to have enough white **** hanging off of me to feed my youngens :!:

SI-1 or above or dun even think abaaaaad it. -giggle-

Thank you so much for noticing it... I designed it myself... would *love* to share pics. I just got it upgraded so Im pretty stoked about it. Iffin you want pics let me know! Then it wouldnt be pretentious of me, otherwise, I havent mentioned it.

I Dont get to personal anymore. I use to share my trips to and from the restroom... now, Im a robot. And thats not always a good thing.
~ Mikaela Sky

ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

sure, id love to see pics of it. ive taken so many of mine since i got it and only like about 2 of them haha. i just wish i could wear it yet lol its waaaay too big i need the time to go get it resized =\ luckily we brought a videocam last weekend so i could get better pics, i also set it on the fids when we came to bed (at 5 am this morning lmao) and left it recording, gonna copy it over to my hdd later and see what they got up to lmao. atm baby is gettin cranky coz she cant get the peanuts outta the bulletproof case thing we got her lol poor darlin :D evil mummy just sittin her laughin at her, so daddy went over taking pity on her, placed on so it was 1/2 poking out and easier to reach lol
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yay! I get to share! I have my husband and kids but no other family so my sharing is little to none :lol:

I'll take pics today... dying to see yours too! If people think we are catty its because they dont have one... yet

*looks over at qwennie and smiles*
~ Mikaela Sky