ackkk shes becoming a nasty little irn

Moderator: Mods

ambros1a

ackkk shes becoming a nasty little irn

Post by ambros1a »

i dont know whats going on, tomorrow will be 2 weeks havin our new baby, and now, shes actin like she hates us!
only time she wants anything to do with me, is when im puttin food in her cage, if theres just a finger, out for an attempted pat (shes only let me pat her properly twice, and only for about 5 seconds) she will just bite it, and not nibble, turn her beak sideways, nibble a few secs, then CHOMP. this has only started the last 2-3 days really, she has stopped comin outta the cage by herself too, even if we leave the doors to her food/water open, and i dont wanna stress her by makin her come out.
Step up just isnt happenin either... u put ur finger in there, and watch out, ur gonna lose some flesh if shes on the right angle. gettin her back in the cage when she does come out, isnt an easy job either, eventually gettin her back on the spare perch (get too close with ur hand and shes outta there) slowly movin it to her cage, she jumps off, get her back on, try again, get near the cage, she lands on it, sometimes wanders around on it more, sometimes goes straight back in.. what an effort, were trying, shes not compromising. lol, typical child!
Last night i tried to bribe her out with a piece of apple, but she was smarter than that, and acted really absorbed in her seed, watchin me outta the corner of her eye, then pickin up a dropped piece of grape and eatin that as if to say - HA! i dont need to come out for sweets - cheeky lil irn

occasionally, u might go to to talk to her, she turns her back on us!! rudeness! lol so i go round that side, talk to her, keep makin her look at me eventually she stops, and just stares at you :shock: :cry: ... almost glaring, we spend as much time with her as we can, and spoil her a fair bit, but make sure she gets lots of fruits (not so many vegies yet, not sure whether to do cooked or raw)
some1 one help me plz, lol shes our only 'child' and already bein a brat haha, any tips, muchly appreciated, now i go back to try talk to her some more... wish me luck
ambros1a

added note and question on bedtime

Post by ambros1a »

shes, right now, sitting on the outside of her cage, hanging above the corn cob i introduced tonight, and am bribing her out with :D works better than a single kernal she can run back to her perch with YAY! shes on top of the cage now, im happy to leave her out a while, not often she comes out willingly.

also, do any of u guys have set bedtimes for ur babies, or do they goto sleep when they like? coz im pretty sure if i let her, shed be up till 11pm some nights.

we kind of have a routine for her, i get up about 6:30, bring her cage from spare room to lounge, talk to her while i get ready, open the curtains and turn the tv on for her when i leave, my partner gets up around 10-11 and talks to her (same deal as me) and comes to work at 1, i get home about 5pm, talk to her feed play if i can etc, and put her to bed about 7:30, my partner doesnt see her again till the next morning, but opens the door to the room, b4 he comes to bed... what do u guys think about this as a routine for her anyhting i should change? can she be up later? is it too late?
thanks again :D
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

:lol:

I think you are getting a small taste of what it is like to be owned by a ringneck. Sounds like you have a baby with a 'tude. Me too but now I love it :!: (Its those that are characters as adults)

As a baby though, it hurt my feelings alot. I even cried once and came here and everyone was like 'awww baby, its a ringeck... better get use to getting a back to your face. :(

Everything sounds on target hun, just keep working with her. Proud of you.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Exactly what Mik said...the joys of owning an IRN...this is the reason most people look at me funny when I say I own a ringneck. They go on to tell me how mean they are and they are only to look at. I then get into their faces and force them to see that it's an owner's job, not the birds, to have that baby stay nice. You have to start 'em when they are young and keep them that way. I have heard so many people try to say how you should never ever own an IRN...I just shake my head...look at ours!

Dani
Shelby

Post by Shelby »

Wow does that sound like Shelby made over again :shock:

It took me months, of nothing but not forcing the issue, feeding her, not running away when she'd strike and try to bite.. giving treats, talking to her and just generally ignoring her bad mood for her to finally decide we were pretty ok and she kind of liked us.

Now I can't get away from her :? If I'm on the couch she's there with me, if I go into another room she will fly around looking for me and then when I walk up to her wherever she is, it's flutter the wings, hunker down and cluck and coo until I pick her up.. usually she's so into the cooing and being a tart thing that I have to pry her little toes off of whatever she's latched onto and I ccan very nearly put her on her back for a tummy scratch now as well.. complete and total turn around.. though it was a trying few months until she settled in and decided to be good birdy.

And sometimes.. you still get the snotty pissy brat child, usually when I'm covering her cage so we can go to bed lol But otherwise, she's a doll baby and very sweet... now if I could only get her to talk :? :roll:
~*~Donna~*~

Owned by:
Shelby - 16 year old IRN Girly
Rafael - 2 year old Sun Conure Dude

and more Arabian horses and cats than I wanna count!
fiona

Post by fiona »

That sounds like Fiona too :roll:
Just be patient. Fiona is scared of fingers too (unless they belong to my boyfriend). I have her step-up on my arm. She didn't seem as afraid of the arm as fingers. Also, bites hurt a lot less on the arm.

You can feed veggies raw (rinse first)
Is her main diet seed?
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

True dat lol

Finger bites SUCK. Finally, Baby will just hit me with his beak, no bite... unless he sees Im aggravating intentionally, then he'll give a hard hit and small nipple.

I say real sweet: Nooo bite Baby, dats a baaaaad boy. And he lowers his head as if in shame. Possible they can feel shame? They are suppose to have the mentality of a 2-5 yr old. They miss, THAT emotion I know they feel
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Oy yeah finger bites hurt...but I bet nipple bites hurt WAY more huh Mik? :P

Dani
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Sounds like a typical teenager. Boy, am I ever glad that I got through that stage (me, not the birds)....she will come around!
MCS