A new season

Moderator: Mods

angie

Post by angie »

aww too cute ! so tiny !
angie

Plus Mickey and Mallory (now placed in a new home as a breeder) the wild females, Mickey is now paired with Kai and they are about to be parronts.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

What cuties! Can't wait for more pics...

Dani
kimtoo

question about breeding pairs

Post by kimtoo »

Jeremy--or anyone else that can help!

I need to ask a breeding question that I hope is general to most species because my question is about a pair of Quakers that I just brought in...I think it would apply to ringnecks as well.

The pair has produced noting but clear eggs for several seasons, according to their owner. They have also never had a breeding break and have been on a diet of seed only (3 years of only sunflower seed, last 3 years, cockatiel seed, ~6-7 years old). I have them because the owner is moving out of the country and can not keep them. I am switching them to a mix of zupreem and Harrisons as fast as they will allow but I want to keep them from allocating energy to repruduction for a while. I know that the simple solution is to separate them, BUT, they are so bonded I am afraid that will be as stressful as repro! Will removing the nest box keep them from breeding? I know this may be a stupid question but I have never had breeding birds so I am CLUELESS!

They have bred successfully in the past, I have a 2 year old that they produced--it is very small....
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Take away the nestbox and any nesting material for a few months.
Keep them on a good diet, add calcium to the water. You will need to build them up for breeding condition for a few months before putting their nestbox back in.
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

Thank you Jeremy!
Is there a calcium supplement that is meant to be added to their water? I have already pulled the nest box and they are not exhibiting signs of stress.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I use Calcivet. Not sure if you can get it over there?
It a liquid calcium that you add to the water.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

They're all growing well.
It looks like I have 3 Greys, 1 Blue, 1 Cinnamon Grey, 1 Dominant Dilute Cinnamon Blue, and 2 Cinnamon Blues. The Blue, Cinnamon Grey, and Cinnamon Blues may also be Turquoise.

kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

awwww!!!! A box full of beautiful blue and grey babies! You must be feeling like a proud Papa, that looks like a pretty good season Jeremy :D

How often are you feeding at this point?
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Aw they are cuties...

Dani
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I am feeding at 6am, 10:30am, 3:30pm, and 9pm.
This suits them as their crops are nearly completely empty by the next feed.
O have also caught one of the baby Greys chewing on some millet. I will start to introduce fruit and vegies in a few days.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Jeremy they are so beautiful!
I am new to the board and too IRN in general so any advice anyone wants to give me will be very much appreciated. Where abouts in QLD are you? I'm in little old Hervey Bay 3hrs past Brisbane.
Sorry to barge into your thread but since you are answering questions can I ask you one too lol?
Is it better to get a baby before they fledge or after? The man that I am getting our baby off is pushing at me taking him/her home before fledging, saying it will make us bond better etc. What do you think?
Thanks
Kate
Oh and hi by the way! :oops:
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I personally don't sell unweaned birds under any circumstances, it is illegal to do so anyway.
I also don't believe it makes the bird bond to you. That is just a myth.
Ringnecks can be tricky when they are close to weaning, you would be better off leaving it with the breeder, rather than changing its environment.
I am on the Sunshine Coast. About 2 hours from you :)
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

thanks Jeremy, I thought the same thing too, about it being illegal to sell them unweaned. But then again I see so many breeders advertising unweaned babies that I wasn't sure.
Which makes me ask another question. When weaning babies do you use abundance weaning? How do you know when they are weaned properly? Is it a week of big bird food etc? How long after fledging do IRN wean? Or is it the other way around, they wean first then fledge?
Only two hours hmmm :wink: Not that far at all. I have in laws that live in Buderim so two hours isn't much to travel at all
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

There are ways of selling unweaned birds. You can take an unweaned bird but you're not allowed to pay the breeder until the bird is fully weaned. This would all come down to a trust issue in the end, i doubt anybody would try this.
I introduce millet sprays when they are 3-4 weeks old. They won't touch it at first but as they get older they will start to eat it. Around 5-6 weeks i introduce a bowl of small seeds and fresh fruit and vegies. I let them wean themselves, i continue to feed formula until they refuse it. My Ringnecks usually fledge at 7-8 weeks and are usually fully weaned by 10 weeks.

I am very close to Buderim :wink:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Jeremy,

You are one of the few breeders I will give any credit to...you do a fantastic job with your babies! You must really care deeply for them. They look like they get very spoiled and well taken care of...

Dani
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Buderim hey? My favourite coffee comes from the macadamia factory there!

What sort of prices do your ringnecks sell for Jeremy?

Do you find they respond better to the more humid climate in SE Qld?
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Depending on the mutation, i only get around $80-150.
Its ridiculous how cheap they have become in such a short amount of time. Nobody sticks with the same species or mutations these days, they all go for the latest mutations, flood the market, and then move on :x
My Ringnecks do very well in our climate. It can get a bit hot here but they adjust to it quite well.
ambros1a

omg theyre so cute

Post by ambros1a »

awww what adorable little babies :D the alien comment looks right on haha. they become beautiful fluffballs so quickly.
the prices in bris of ringnecks are nuts. our albino baby was $180 only 1 month ago, and there was still a beautiful lutino there 2 weeks later, and she was being sold at something like $65 or $70. ive also seen other ringnecks ranging from that price up to over $1200 (when i was researching how much albinos usually cost). The price wasnt a factor when we got baby, it was more that i fell in love with her on sight and she seemed so sweet, and ive been pining for some sort of company for nights when my mans at work lol. i wonder if shed been picked on there (as the vet had 2 pull 2 damaged feathers when we took her for her checkup) and she was sitting on the left perch, by herself, the other 3 on the other side.
another few weeks-months (not sure yet) gonna get a friend for baby, would you suggest another ringneck, or mebbe a tiel or something? btw, we DONT want babies lol, and being unsure what our albino is... they dont get frisky without nest boxes right...? lmao
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

A Tiel would be fine, but it depends on what your baby's temperment is. She might be a little too rough for a Tiel.
It would be the same situtation with another Ringneck.
But for some reason, Ringnecks do tend to get along well with Tiels.

They could get a little frisky without a nestbox, but they probably wouldn't go as far as breeding. Just feeding and preening each other.
ringybaby

Post by ringybaby »

Hi Jeremy, lovely babies you have there! Mine havnt performed this year YET! Hopefully they will be at it soon, they have been working the nests and doing heaps of mating but havn't got any eggs yet :( :(

Just a quick question for you, I don't know if you saw my Squeak's pictures on the photo forum but can you please tell me whether you think boy or girl? He/she turned 1 the other day and boy hasn't it been a fun year for me...lol. Squeak started talking 4 days before her hatchday and hasnt stopped since :lol:

Andrea
xx
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

There's still time yet. They might go down.
I can't tell the sex from photos, its totally unreliable.
A video would be better if that is possible?
ringybaby

Post by ringybaby »

Can't get a video as I don't have a video cam :( I can take as many photos as you like though :wink:

:lol:
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

More pictures wouldn't hurt, i know everyone loves to see them :wink:

I wouldn't take much notice of this, but if i had to guess, i would say that Squeak is a Hen.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Jeremy, do you ever hand raise the more exotic mutations? The violets, the lacewings etc? All the hand raised babies I see for sale are always green,blue and lutino and sometimes grey? Don't get me wrong, I love IRN for the bird themselves but as always am curious about the flashy mutations that are available now a days.
Kate
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I don't breed the expensive mutations as it is a waste of money. The prices drop so much that there is no point running out and buying the latest mutations.
But people who do have Violets and Cleartails etc do handraise their babies. But they get thrown into aviaries as soon as they are weaned.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Is that a lacewing in your avatar? So those sort of mutations are mostly kept by breeders? Here is another question for you (lol since you haven't minded any of the other thousands of questions I have plied on you) Do you mostly breed for pets or for your own aviary?
Just tell me when I have asked to many questions btw
Kate
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

The bird in my avatar is a Dominant Dilute TurquoiseBlue Cinnamon (Fallow Pastel Skyblue).
Basically only breeders have the expensive mutations, but if you want one as a pet, the price will lower at the ned of this season or next season. So they will be a lot more affordable.
Violets are only $3000 each. By the end of this season they will be a lot cheaper.
I breed for both pets and breeders. Since Ringnecks can easily revert back to being 'wild', handraised birds will still make good breeders.
The only birds i don't handraise are my Lovebirds, although, i am handraising 5 at the moment. But only because it was absolutely necessary.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Jeremy wrote:.
Violets are only $3000 each. By the end of this season they will be a lot cheaper.

Wow thats a lot of dosh. I wish I had married a rich man lol :lol:
Kate
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Been a long time since I updated so here I am.
The Ringnecks are all doing great, the second oldest Grey bub likes to jump out of the box, he a cutie though. He is so docile I am trying to teach him to lay on his back. He will do it but only for a short amount of time, he'd rather go and explore.
They are 7 weeks old now, they all eat fruit and veg and pick at seed and millet sprays.

The big Grey bub. Yes, he is missing a toenail. I don't know what happened to him, it came off when he was still in the nest.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Jeremy Gorgeous babies! You must be proud :D

Donna
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Awww...they get so big so fast...what cuties

Dani
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

What cuties Jeremy! Are they all spoken for now? I haven't seen a grey IRN before, they are so pretty. Will missing a toenail affect the grey baby at all, or will it just grow back?
Kate
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Oh man it's a good thing you're in Australia and I'm in the USA because I would divorce the hubby and take the whole lot. They are beautiful. And the blue and grey together are really a nice combo.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I haven't sold any of them yet.
The missing nail won't affect him, it also won't grow back. He doesn't really need it anyway. A few of my aviary birds are missing a toenail, they all get around fine.
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Wow all the ringnecks down here in my favourite pet store are at least $200, some of them $450.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Hmmm I wonder if I could 'persuade' hubby to have another baby? Their sooo cute, its not fair to post pictures of them, it gives me a serious case of I want one!
Can I ask how much you are asking for them Jeremy?
Kate
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

3 x Greys. $120 each ONO
1 x Blue. $120 each ONO
1 x Silver. $130 each ONO
1 x Skyblue. $130 each ONO
1 x Pastel Skyblue. $150 ONO
1 x Fallow Pastel Skyblue. $150 ONO
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

damn it, lol i knew i shouldnt have looked at prices... *smax hand* no more babies till after christmas lol, ill hafta *slyly* show my partner those lil darlings...slip the price in.. heh.. dreams can be nice
saw a couple of gorgeous lil conures on the weekend, fell in love with them.. not the $650 each price tag though =\ sigh
but really, those babies are adorable, so fluffy still, and growing so fast
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

:lol: Conures are great birds. I am handraising 2 Green Cheeks at the moment, they are so playful and active for little fella's.

The 2 oldest Grey Ringnecks have discovered the art of flying. I will have to put them in a cage tomorrow and clip their wings in a few more days.
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

mmm yea, i believe these guys were green cheeks too, coz i cant find any other green conures that would be that price lol, they were so cute, licking ur fingers jumpin around the place, i swear they had ADD lmao, and i dunno if i could separate them, but $1300 owwies

how old are they when u first start clippin their wings? or is it just a 'when the time arises' deals
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Really? Green Cheeks are only going for around $100 each these days.
At that price, I would say they would have been Sun or Janday Conures?

I usually clip the wings about a week after they first start flying. Or until they are good at landing.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Maybe they were Maroon-bellied conures?
I had a GCC, they are an absolute blast and I can't belive how cheap they are now a days!
Kate
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

im not too sure.. now i think about it... they may be sun conures.... but i thought they were the bright orange ones, i think i may have to give her a call in the morning..
oh god, i cant resist... u mentioned having conures... do they have homes? lol, or would they by christmas time? lol, i admit, they were adorable. and if i can sucker him into one... :lol: :lol:
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Depending on what sex they are, I might be keeping both Green Cheek babies.
I was hoping for some Sun Conure babies this season but it doesn't look like anything is going to happen until next year.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

omg I am so glad I live here...at that price who could pass up on your babies??? Greys are expensive here...*sighs*

Dani
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

The bubs were out playing on the picnic rug :lol: So i took some photos.

kelly anne

Post by kelly anne »

THEY ARE SO CUTE CAN NOT WAIT TILL MY 3 BABYS GET THAT BIG CO WE CAN PLAY WITH THEM. did you see my babys
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

OMG! I just want to scoop them all up and run away with them. How cute are they?!
Kate
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

ooooh so cute! i want i want i WANT! :lol: lol
ive looked at a few pics as well, and believe the babies ive been eyeing off are green cheeks, not overly sure though, will post in the vids section a short clip i got in the store and forgot about, plz excuse my partners fingers in the way lol, he was tyrna get him to bob his head for the camera lol

those blue and green colours on your babies are amazing, so pretty. they caught my eye immediately.
:wink: i may just have to leave the pics up for my bf to see when he gets home tonight :D hehe
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

That looks like so much fun, it made me laugh.
I know they can probably get into lots of things they shouldn't but
I would be hard pressed not to get them out often and watch
them run around and play.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat