Best cage?

Moderator: Mods

xo Missi

Best cage?

Post by xo Missi »

Okay so this week I am getting Baby a large cage. This will hopefully be his forever cage that I won't have to upgrade ever again.

I'm pretty sure I want a playtop cage. I'm also pretty sure I want a cage that is at LEAST 36" tall (or maybe 30" is okay?) but I don't know much more.

I can't afford a stainless steel cage (why are they so darn expensive?!!)

So keeping in mind that stainless steel is too expensive, what is the next best material? Powder coated, white coated, or the vein metal or whatever? Anyone have any problems with any of these?

And what is the largest bar spacing safe for the irn? Thanks again!
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Another important question is, for the irn is it more important to have a tall cage or a wide cage? Does it matter?
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Wider is better than taller (they aren't helicopters :wink: ) Powder coated is better...though stainless is the top...get the biggest you can afford is the best answer

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Type in cage into the seach engine to see all of ours.

The only *real* thing you MUST remember:

THE BARS CAN NOT BE ANY FURTHER APART THEN .5 INCHES... HALF AN INCH A PART. ANYTHING BIGGER IS UNACCEPTABLE. This is not negotiable.

Every picture I look at here, I look for bent bars they can break their necks in. Im complusive about that, ask Dani. Many times Im like... fix that bar! Your baby will break its neck! So, you have to look the cage over often. Baby stretches his bars all the time. Owners may not notice.
~ Mikaela Sky

xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Hmm...it's almost impossible to find a big cage, let alone play top, with bar spacing under 5/8". The man at birdcages4less told me max of 5/8"???
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

5/8s is the MAX but I still wouldn't risk it...it's hard finding a larger cage with smaller bards but I'm sure they are out there...

Yes Mik...you are compulsive but we love you anyway :wink:

Dani
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

So Baby's new cage has 5/8" bar spacing and there's NO WAY he could stick his big ol' head through though bars :lol: We call him "our lil T-Rex" Don't you just love the way they walk around when they're on a flat surface! Like a mini dinosaur!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Never say never.

You MUST check those bars every single solitary day for stretch since the bars are already too far apart.. They bend the bars like paper clips so a .5 inch space can easlily become an inch space causing death or otherwise.

I wouldnt risk it but its your baby. Not mine. And we dont judge here. But since you are going with that cage... You have GOT TO CHECK THE BARS EVERY SINGLE DAY. MADANTORY!

I found my last ringneck dead in her water dish after being gone an hr and her acting perfectly fine. Never know. :cry:
~ Mikaela Sky

xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Will do. I mean we had to lug the thing in by pulling it up and over by the bars and they didn't bend or budge (I didn't want to roll it through the apartment parking lot and walk way because they're doing filthy construction). We even had to put some hardcore force on them due to the big old wood perch at the tip top up there (you know, the ones with the slots sawed in them to hook to the cage bars horizontally) and they still didn't bend, but I will religiously check as you know how overly thorough I am :lol:
Nez

Post by Nez »

Can anyone in Australia tell me where they got their cage from? I am having trouble finding one that is big enough but has small bar spacing
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Ebay for the win. Paid $90 got a decent sized play top stainless steel cage with stand. Bars 5/8th of an inch, no stretching so far!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Kick **** price, post a pic for us.

And of course of your birdie :!:

Welcome to ringneck.com. You'll make alot of friends. :D
~ Mikaela Sky

Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Will take a few more pics tonight when I get home from work. There's a pic in my introduction thread. In the meantime, here's a pic that's a few months old of Sunni soaking wet, which gives a reasonable indication of cage size.

Cheers

Matt

Bird crazy

great cage

Post by Bird crazy »

Looks like a great cage and what a deal.

Sunny is really cute, always love the wet bird pics.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Ahhh those bars arent too bad, just keep a check on them for stretch and you outta be ok. :D

Nice cage
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Here are the cages Hane and Tsume have:

http://demsondpetdepot.com/Merchant2/me ... ry_Code=PC

There is also a playtop version. Pity the macaw sized one has bars too wide.

A good deal, free shipping, and a good cage.

I reccomended the cage to some clients of ours for whom I hand-fed three babies (they gave us our IRNs) and they're happy with them too. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Ok so I know where I can purchase a new cage for Aggie at...at 199.99 for a macaw sized cage...can't pass that up!

Dani