A new season

Moderator: Mods

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

A new season

Post by Jeremy »

The breeding season has started very early for my birds, its only the end of July and all the Ringnecks are going down.
So far one pair have 4 eggs, at this stage, 3 are definitely fertile. I would say the 4th egg will also be fertile. These eggs will hatch in 2 weeks.

I have another pair that laid their first egg today.

And my other pair are working the nest box :D

How is everyone else's breeding season going?
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yay! You better share those babies with us!

Do you think it may be because it has been so hot this year?

Jeremy: I am getting a gray. What will the grays Mama and Daddy be?

What should I look for/avoid in a gray... ringneck that is?

Thanks sexy.

Mmm love me a smart man! Or is that a rich man? Oh well *tickles Jeremy*
~ Mikaela Sky

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Don't worry, Mik. There will be plenty of pics when they hatch :D
Over here it is Winter :D And actually pretty cold at the moment, but this sudden burst of rain is probably what did the trick.

The parents of a Grey could be anything really. Both parents will need to be carrying the blue gene and at least one will need to be carrying the Grey Green gene.
So: Grey x Grey, Grey x Blue, Grey Green/Blue x Grey, Grey Green/Blue x Blue etc

Not much to look for, just check that the bird is healthy and active. Glassy eyes and plenty of meat on either side of the breastbone :D
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I wish I could have one of your babies.

My breeder has the hots for me and he is uhm... creepy? But he gives me lots of stuff and all clips and trims are free so I put up with it.

Odd thing is: his wife watches the whole thing. My son say they are swingers. They had better swing their asses away from me before I break um down like a shot gun.

I dont want that man, hell often I dont want the one I got! :twisted:

Der, in the cloudy and dusty recesses of my mind I knew it was winter over there. Promise lol
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Mik did you see the pic of the grey at the local pet store here. He/she is really pretty.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My lord yes, and was like grrrr I WANT!

I am fid and kided out. So, I wait for a bird to pick me so I dont feel bad. ha!

I have four boys... 6, 13, 15 and 18 and trying desperately for the 5th. Yes, in hopes of having a girl... I'll admit it. I know the chances are not good but after you have 2 3 4 5 kids, wants another peanut butter sandwich to make? It gets to where it doesnt even matter lol. 2 or 20.

My husband is addicted to babies. Loves them and we hope to keep one in the family for as long as we can have children safely. I have some years left so 7 at most and we'll stop. My granny did it, I can too! In other words, when his baby turns about 5 or 6 its time for him to have another baby. -shrug-

I do natural childbirth so I assure him HE ISNT DOING ****. He actually thinks birth isnt that big of a deal. He obviously hasnt ever given it!
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Hope the next one's a girl for you. Lots of kids, lots of pets it's a great life and really what it's all about. Giving love and receiving love. Kids or pets it's a great feeling.

So I can't tempt you to bite on this grey. We're close enough it's not that far of a ride from the Tampa area.

I'm not going to get a chance to see this birdie today, too much to do but tomorrow I have on my list to go back and visit it.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Snap a shot on your camera phone.
~ Mikaela Sky

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Wow, that went quick!

1 pair had 4/4 fertile eggs, they all hatched but one baby died. The other 3 babies are doing really well, only a few days old.

My other 2 pairs both have 4/4 fertile eggs each, due to start hatching any day now :D

In 2 weeks the fun begins, handraising the bubs :shock: :lol:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

You'd better get us some pics mister! I want to see those babies... :D

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yeah! Pictures Mister!

Thats one thing that would suck about breeding... the babies that dont make it but Im sure thats common and you expect/get use to it.
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Congrats

Post by Bird crazy »

Boy I wish you were closer too, I'd love to see your set up and those new babies.
No new birdies for me either. I'm waiting to see if I can maneuver my male eclectus Rowdy back into my home.

But Mik the little grey is still at the pet store, growing up and still sweet. I saw him yesterday and took him some nutriberries and got him to take it from my hand. I carried him around the store on my shoulder and he was like "cool, I like it up here".

Sue and Nila
Sue
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Ahhh Ya killin me :!:

What they want for it :?:
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Grey

Post by Bird crazy »

$399.00 if I remember correctly. Pretty sure that's it.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Dayum! They want 499.00 for a green here. S/he is a baby still.

How old is the gray? OMG, this could be it. :cry:

I'd like to get a baby-in-a-box... literally that young. Think a breeder would let me do that? I want it as very early as possible.

Bird Crazy:

OH YEAH! Those balls for kittys you and I are letting our fids play with... in the garbage ASAP. Like, hop up and do it now.

Baby snapped the plastic to get the balls out. A very natural response as they like to foriage. Thank God I caught him before it went in his mouth.

He loves them too... Not fair :!: :cry:
~ Mikaela Sky

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Ok, here are the pics.
They will either be Blue or Grey.

Mik, we only pay AU$80 for a Grey. Its a shame for breeders because they are definitely beautiful birds and should be worth more.
Bird crazy

Grey

Post by Bird crazy »

Mik: the grey is about 4 months old, the pet store doesn't have a hatch date but the grey is banded so should be able to find out. He's really really pretty. (trying to tempt someone who will give it a great home)

And Jeremy

Isn't amazing how quickly they go from that naked martian look to feathered baby birdies? Thanks for sharing.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Precious!!!!!

Jeremy, I want a gray and Im ready to make the jump but I want to make a good decision. After being baby's mama, it breaks my heart to think I could turn out with a meanie bird.

Anyway, I got Baby at 8 weeks. I hand-fed him... it was awesome. Amazing. I was in aw and love.

My question is:

What is the very youngest a breeder would let me have a baby. Knowing I know what Im doing and Im not some doof off the street ?
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Awww...Jeremy they are adorable! Keep them coming!

Dani
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Personally, i don't sell birds until they are weaned, i don't care how experienced a person is. Plus, it is illegal to sell unweaned birds here.

But there are people who will sell 1 day old chicks for a bit of cash, or just out of pure laziness.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

*If* I can find a breeder willing to let me get a baby early, whats the soonest you recommend?

I understand the many reasons breeders wont. I wouldnt. I just want a baby... lil bitty baby in a box! -giggle -
Last edited by Mikaela on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Mikaela Sky

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I would say 2-3 weeks would be ideal.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Hey, while you are here... how cold is the cooldest a ringneck can live outside comfortablely? Under Shelter and I live in Florida.
~ Mikaela Sky

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Not too sure really. As long as it doesn't get below freezing it should be fine.
My aviary birds survive the Winter, but it usually only gets as low as 6 degrees Celsius.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

The coldest it ever gets in the dead of winter, at night here is 50 degrees F. On the cold nights I will bring my babies in, otherwise they are staying outside.

Clean freak :cry:
~ Mikaela Sky

Mattls

Post by Mattls »

MAN! $399US? That's huge! I'm mates with a breeder, he sold me Sunni for about $60AUD ($45US). He said all his ringnecks are starting to go down this season, I wonder if he'll have any grays?

I'm about to start hand raising a cockatiel for a christmas present for my cousin, but I'd love to get a gray at the beginning of next year...

Oh and Jeremy, I was doing some searching on plum heads as they're in the IRN family, however I read an article that said they can't talk. I know IRNs can, in your experience can plumheads?

One more thing, you said 6 degrees celcius in winter? Are you in Victoria?
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I'm not too sure if Plumheads can talk, i would say they probably can.
I am in SE QLD.
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

ahhh SE Qld, my dream location. I honeymooned in Coolum last year.

I like your sun conures, very inquisitive and beautiful.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Plumheads look cool.
~ Mikaela Sky

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

1 pair have 3 big babies and another pair have 4 babies.
My 3rd pair have 2 fertile eggs ready to hatch any day now.

It looks like i will be taking the first lot of babies for handraising in a few days :D
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Oh Jeremy... so precious. Mommie keeping an eye on those babies.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your breeding with us. If not, alot of us would never get to see an egg become a loving pet.

You kick **** man.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Oh they are so precious...great job Jeremy!

Dani
Bird crazy

Age please

Post by Bird crazy »

How old are the three babies by themselves? When do they get the feathers? And how old will they be when you take them? Does the mom and dad get sad over it?

Sue and Nila
Sue
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I think its just Jeremys thing (not speaking for him) but I dont think his parents get too involved.

I may be wrong but thats how I remember it. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Just wondering about the parents missing the babies. I prefer for a pet bird to be hand raised. May be selfish on my part but I think it stands to reason they would respond to humans easier that way. I was just wondering if the parents try to find them, or get upset in some way when the babies just disappear.

I had a nest of mocking birds in my front yard, 3 eggs and one morning all eggs were gone and no babies. I saw the parents come to the nest for a day or two and that was that. Wondered if parrots were the same.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

The 3 babies in the first pic are about 10 days old. They won't start getting pin feathers until about 3 weeks.
The parents of these babies are very protective of their nests, the fact that they were handraised doesn't help too much as they aren't scared of me.
Once i take the babies for handraising at 2 weeks old, the parents will be a little confused for a few days, then they will get over it.
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Thanks Jeremy.

:)

Sue and Nila
Sue
angie

Post by angie »

:shock: My story. I have a blue cock and a lutino cock pet, very tame birds. Kai and JOrdan love them to death.

I had to rescue a breeding pair from being set free, a few days they both presented female behaviour :shock: but my blue male Kai found his way to their cage and would not leave them alone, particularly the luntino hen (the other wild female is a blue).

So I got a nesting box and threw, Kai the lutino hen (now named Mickey) and the box into Kai's cage. 30 minutes later they are mating and she is working the box. 17 days later an EGG :D

Now -

waiting to see how many she will lay, and reading up madly on how to hand raise. I don't have an incubator or such, so I believe I need to wait till about 4 weeks when the babies have feathers starting before I can take them into a small box together.

I've been kinda thrown into this at the deep end, but then God knows thats how I like it :wink:
angie

Plus Mickey and Mallory (now placed in a new home as a breeder) the wild females, Mickey is now paired with Kai and they are about to be parronts.
Bird crazy

Eggs

Post by Bird crazy »

That's really neat Angie. I'm hoping that one day soon my husband and I can get a place out of town further where I can put an outdoor flight cage/aviary. Where we are now I'm sure the neighbors would have the homeowners association knocking on our door before we got the first board up. I love my quiet little house and safe neighborhood, but I'd rather live in the country, where I could go get the mail in my nightie and no one but my husband would know or care, and I could have an aviary and no one would know or care (that would include my husband).
So thanks for letting us live vicariously through your Mickey and Kai.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Bird crazy

info gathering, Jeremy

Post by Bird crazy »

So Jeremy you're probably going to be hand raising 9-12 if I counted correctly baby birds at the same time.
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. How often do you feed them, I'm thinking every 2 hours to start. Seems like you wouldn't get the lot fed and you'd have to start over.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

At the moment there is definitely 8 Ringnecks. Still 1 egg to hatch but it doesn't look like it will.
I will probably take the first lot out on Wednesday. They will be fed every 4 hours. I feed at 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, and 10pm.
I will also be handraising 2 Green Cheek Conures. They will hatch in about a week and when they are 2 weeks old i will take them out :D
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Angie
You may still get more eggs, do you know when the last egg was laid?
I pull my babies out for handraising when the youngest is 2 weeks old, so the oldest baby is usually around 3 weeks.
I don't use a brooder, i don't feel the need to as Ringnecks breed through the warmer months of the year. I put them in a large nestbox with wood shavings, to replicate what it was like when they were with their real parents. All the babies will snuggle together for warmth.
At 2-3 weeks they need to be fed every 4 hours. My feeding schedule is on the previous post.
angie

Post by angie »

yes she laid her last egg yesterday morning so I am checking again tomorrow morning, as they lay ever other day. Any hints or tricks or handraising would be wonderful as I am totally new at this. Spoon is ok at that age ? food mixes etc. ? thanks in advance for any help.

Sue Kai and Mickey are in a extremely large cage inside my house, in our birdroom, not an outside aviary. I don't have one, so we will see how things go.

When I took the two new birds, the guy not only told me they were a breeding pair but i could take the aviary for them. I was left with two females and a cage that I would hardly class as a cage. So Kai and Mickey are in Kai's wooden mansion, which is the length of a bedroom wall and as High as I am tall (5 foot 10) :wink:
angie

Plus Mickey and Mallory (now placed in a new home as a breeder) the wild females, Mickey is now paired with Kai and they are about to be parronts.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Try not to check too often. I would have another look in about a week or so, and then you can also candle the eggs.

I use a syringe, the Ringnecks suck at eating from a spoon :lol:
Just enter the syringe into the birds left side of its beak. So it will be your right side if the bird is facing you. Put a gentle flow in its mouth until its mouth is full, then let it swallow the food.
Some babies have a good feeding response, others don't.

I use Vetafarm Handraising Mix. Its the only h/r mix i know of that doesn't contain soy products.
Mix it fairly thick but still able to fall through the prongs of a fork.
angie

Post by angie »

Thanks Jeremy :D

Sue this is the cage my breeding pair are in now

Probably not ideal but its all i Have right now. The nesting box is in the top left hand corner now. Don't have a recent pic of the cage with the box in place.
angie

Bird crazy

Thanks

Post by Bird crazy »

Hey guys thanks for the info. I love learning all about these guys. I really can't imagine sharing my Nila with a female bird. I think I'd be jealous. :oops: I love him interacting with me. But I think too that they are God's creatures and meant to have a family life just as humans are and I may at some point feel the need to provide Nila with a companion.

Angie: that cage looks great. What a home. I hope they raise their brood and you have healthy happy grandfids.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Birdjunkie

When to breed...........

Post by Birdjunkie »

Hope this isn't a dump question it's just that I have read .heard ...different things about WHEN to breed.
Ok..I have a PET yellow female IRN and adult blue IRN when can I put them together?
Also why does one not allow them to raise their own babies. I realize they will be more tame by hand feeding them yourself.
Cathe'<><
Solomon C2.
IRN's: Romeo/Juliet you let me know (lol), Pebbles (female)
Eclectus: Rusty
Joseph: Peace white dove
Cowboy:Green Quaker
Cocktiel: Sunshine
About 10 Society Finches. )
angie

Post by angie »

kai is still very tame, he just prefers to be with mickey. He still steps up, he still takes kisses and treats. But kai was never 100% tame, he had a flighty side to him, I had tamed him from flighted aviary at 11 months old. If they were in an outside aviary I would say that kai would change a great deal, but he is in the bird room with all the traffic and familiarity of us and his domestic home.

Our Jordan on the other hand I would have great reservations about giving up to a female.

Truly I had no idea this was going to happen with kai. When I rescued the wild females from the man thinking they were a breeding pair, I was going to have my hand at breeding with a wild pair. When they both turned out to be female and the so called aviary they came with turned out to be just a cage and was not appropriate to house them outside I kept them inside and Kai just found his was to the cage, the two just fell for each other, nothing I could do. Kai was smitten and couldn't think of anything else but her. I watched them for a week kissing and displaying through the wire (which is a great and safe way to introduce two birds to each other). Once I knew for sure that he was lost to her they went in together.

Cathe its not that we don't allow, but we prefer to have tame babies, if you let the parents raise them, you are not going to have a tame pet for someone. Most breeders want to sell these babies as it's their living. Hand raised babies is the way to go for selling as pets. I am not a breeder in that respect I simply have a pair suddenly on eggs, I know very little about it all, but am learning. I will probably leave a baby for the parents to raise, especially if its a green one, and take a few to hand raise for the experience and to give to family members.

Anyway Jeremy can answer your questions properly about breeding, introducing birds, when and how and why handraising is done and if its a better option than parent raised etc.
angie

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

You can intoduce them a few weeks or months before the breeding season begins.
I handraise my Ringecks because if they are parent raised, they are just too flighty. I have seen parent raised Ringnecks in huge aviaries and they fly at high speeds and crash into the wire. There would be too many deaths.
Plus, they make good breeders if they are handraised because they are a lot calmer and will allow you to inspect the nestbox etc.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

The babies are growing really well, they are so vocal. I can hear them from a few metres away. Looks like i will be pulling them for handraising at the end of the week.