first baby

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

ambros1a

first baby

Post by ambros1a »

Hiys, came across ur site while doing some research on my new albino indian ringneck parrot.
Ive never owned a bird before (unless u count the few weeks we had an injured crow at home lol) and not overly confident with him yet, that big, red, pointy beak looks a little intimidating haha, but im workin on gettin over that for now, it hasnt even been a week yet.
Lookin around i can find heaps of stuff on how to teach him to step up, the only problem is, lol, we cant even get a hand into the cage without him starting to freak out, and running away. Everyone says patience, and i know itll take time, i talk to him daily, we give him treats he loves sultanas and oranges, doing all we can to earn that much needed respect and trust from him, until then haha, my poor partner has a couple of chunks missing, from trying to swap him between cages, adn all ive gotten was a good beaking, left a mark there a good 5mins, and boy did it throb lol, i managed not to 'squawk' at least :)
if anyone has any tips or advice on gettin him to feel more comfortable around us sooner, it would be very much appreciated, till then, i think imma go play him a few of the bird calls i found on here, see what he thanks
:)
http://ilive.thruhere.net/bitchez/bird.jpg
http://ilive.thruhere.net/bitchez/bird2.jpg
http://ilive.thruhere.net/bitchez/bird3.jpg
p.s he still hasnt got a name, any suggestions? lol
Last edited by ambros1a on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

You found the right home! Perch awhile and read old posts. See 'search' at the top of the page? Use it! You'll know more that I by the end of the day!

Hey and welcome. Glad to have you, post pics of that baby.
~ Mikaela Sky

ambros1a

thanks

Post by ambros1a »

thanks a lot for the welcome :) great site, heaps of info. For an update, we decided on a name lol.
Meet Loki :D
mischevious lil such and such hehe, hell get used to us (or we'll adapt to HIM lol)
but even if heh is still untouchable inside teh cage, the kisses through the bars are so sweet, and i melt, haha, not bad for being a cat person, and his coming home from the shop with us being made withis 10mins of seeing him, all white and standing out from the 2 green and 1 yellow ringnecks with him, im smitten already ;)
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Loki... very cute.

Does it have a meaning?

My lil boy is Baby
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Welcome

Post by Bird crazy »

I saw the pics in your post. He's a pretty bird.
How old is Loki?

I took all the sunflower seeds out of Nila's seed mix, and he's crazy for them. Then I used them to get him to do the things I want him to do. It might work with Loki if you take all the sunflower seeds out and feed them to him through the bars and then when he's comfortable with that try them on an open palm inside the door to the cage and let him come to your hand, just keep your hand steady and where he has to come to you, don't reach for him at first.

Hope that works for you.

Welcome aboard.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Aww...what a cute little fid! Welcome! Finally more albino's around here hehehe

Dani
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

thanks for all the help guys, muchly appreciated, ill definately run the sunflower seed idea past my partner, see what he thinks too, but in the meantime, ive found that sultanas work great! he LOVES them!!!
He already takes food through the bars from us, its more so when the hand enters the cage he worries. Adam, my hubby, told me today that hed managed to put a hand into the cage, and get Loki to take some apple, so i tried it, gave him some brocolli, coz weve never given it to him before, first through the bars, then i put my hand in, he took it, but just dropped it after a small nibble, at least i can get him to take things.

The reason behind Loki's name, i was lookin last night (being an aussie) at some indian names that might be suitable, then thought, heck, i cant even pronounce half of these, how could he??? lmao, then suddenly, Loki, the Norse God of Mischief popped into my head, i said hes so cheeky, and fulla mischief, it suits him, and my partner agreed lol.

I have heard that albinos are rare, but in the last few days, while researching, i seem to have come across many, or is it just wild albinos are rare, coz they cant survive in wild as well.

I never thought id see the day when id spent this much on any type of animal, let alone a bird lmao, but i dont regret it at all, hes so sweet, and worth every little cent we paid!
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Thanks for the info on the name, definitely a good one for an IRN.
God of Mischief :D perfect.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Welcome to the forum! Nice avatar, looks like Loki is in jail!

Just take it nice and slow with him, they love chattering because in the wild chattering means everything is safe. They love sliced apple and sliced grape too, although take into consideration the size of their stomachs: a small piece for us is a giant piece for them!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

He didnt do it!

Loki... I will represent you pro bono just dont talk baby. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

ambros1a

lol

Post by ambros1a »

haha yea, id thought the same thing as i was cuttin it to make it small enough lmao.

with the weekend here, its now been almost a week (got him late sat), im yet to spend much 'day' time with him, as i dont get home frm work till 5pm most nights, so my partner gets that (lucky sob, so jealous haha) so this is my chance to see how he acts in daytime, after settling in a bit. Adam says that (the once again unnamed) baby talks to him during the day, and if he goes to the pc on the other side of the room (all of about 3m away) then baby starts squawking, also when hes in bed, he will hear the birds outside (often lots of beautiful colourful wildbirds) then notices baby, when he looks hes running up and down his perch talkin his little head off.

I gotta admit, i love listening to him chatter, its so soft and cute, but the nosies that make us wonder, occasionally, when at the pc, we hear little popping noises, im sure hes eating, i look, hes nowhere near his food lol, i wonder if its just a thing to make us look haha, wouldnt surprise me, sayin 'hey look at me, im so pretty and smart, pay me attention, pick me plz!!!' lmao
cute little baby
argh only a week and ive already fallen for him HARD, lol
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

ahhhhh that baby is grinding his beak.

Does it sound like he may be eating sead... sort of?

Know what that means!?

That he couldnt be happier!!!

You are doing a great job mom
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Ah...the baby stage...how I miss that...enjoy it while it lasts!

Dani
ambros1a

new update

Post by ambros1a »

we managed to get him outta the cage today. we left to 2 top doors open to the food and water, adn after a little while of us talkin through them, he came out, hung around on the bars for a few seconds, and went straight back in. this happened twice within a few mins, and then nothing, even though the door were still open. i got some grapes today, sliced a couple into 1/4's held one out to him by the open door, with the spare perch held out in front, he stepped straight onto it!! good baby, anything for a grape or apple it seems mmmmm the juicy fruits

but while i say he, we now learn its likely *he* is a *she*. my partner went back into the shop today, just havin a look around, and the woman we got baby from said she believes all 4 in the cage at the time were females, theres 2 left in there now i hear. the yellow one now wont let ur hand near the cage, and the green one cowers, and is suffering from a bad case of feather plucking. so sad... i almost wanna bring him home too, but we know we need to take care of our baby first, build the trust, before introducing another baby into the family... maybe around christmas... hehe, already sucked in by these stunning creatures :D lovin it too
Bird crazy

MBS

Post by Bird crazy »

Uh oh, another confirmed case of the wildly contagious MBS (multiple bird syndrome). We should probably report this to the Dept of Health or something, maybe the Humane Society they'd probably tell us what to do to spread it further.

That is a pretty pretty birdie.

question: What are SULTANAS? Never heard of them.

Sue and Nila
Sue
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

more progress every day, shes gettin used to us... slowly.
birdcrazy : sultanas are uhm.. dried grapes id say, like raisins, but bigger.
my partner left the cage open again today while he got ready for work, came back out, and she was on her cage, he left her be, she wandered around, fell down the back of the tv, lol, so he put her back up (eventually) into her cage.

wow, shes a sucker for peas too, in the pod, or singly as treats, she'll do anything, hang upside down lookin cute, run happily down the new stick i put in there thatd shed been eyeing off suspiciously only 2minutes ago lmao.
shes so clever (shes certainly worked me out already) haha
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Keep us updated. WE LOVE BABIES and follow them as they grow. Very exciting and fun!

Its almost like we all own all of these birds. :lol:

Maybe its just me but I know I think about other peoples birds and I know I would stomp a mud puddle into anyone that touched any of 'our' babies.

We all have hundreds of birds through sharing! :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky

ambros1a

oh yea...

Post by ambros1a »

i forgot.. lol

baby started singing today :D happy happy happy, what a beautiful sound, shame it only lasted about 10 seconds.
but it seems my performance was meerely an encore, as my partner enjoyed the debut this morning (lucky begger!!)
i hope i hear more soon, im glad to know my lil baby is settling in comfortably enough to sing for us.
also, before i forget, i read on another post, about the male dance, and this confuses me, as its something similar to what our baby does.
runs up and down the perch (quite fast), occasionally with a beak rub at the end, head swaying side to side, my dad saw it tonight, and commented on the dancing... im sooooo confused, lol i dunno what to call him/her atm... talk about having gendre issues!! poor lil darling