Thinking of getting a ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Ravenlock

Thinking of getting a ringneck

Post by Ravenlock »

Hello. I am thinking of getting a lutino ringneck. I have a few questions.

1. The sign says she is handfed, however she was born last january and has been shipped to 3 different stores. She has a bit of an attitude problem as a result. So I'm wondering with a proper home and careful attention, will she become a nice parrot again? She is well cared for with a large cage at the store, but the cage is higher then the staffs head and they have problems with getting her out and her biting.
She is very beautiful, but I don't want a parrot that hates me for 30 yrs.

2. The cage I am looking at is 28"L, 18"W and 33"H with 3 quarter inch spacing. Is that large enough for her? Am I right in guessing it's a she at 1 yr and 3 months with no ring? Thank you for any help :)
Jodie

questions

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
I would not advise you to purchase this bird. I am sure she is beautiful, but I doubt she will be what you want of her for a very, very long time. If you have another year and a half to try to tame her and like a challenge, buy her. If you do buy her, I am sure you can gain her trust and she would become a good bird. You will see interest from her and perhaps you can give her treats but you will need a thick glove to handle her and lots of patience. However, at this time of year, there are many babies available from breeders that I am sure are alot less expensive than in the pet store! Check out hoobly, central pets, bird mart. There are postings for ringneck babies all over the place. If you are lucky, perhaps there is a breeder near you with a lutino baby. The poor thing has obviously been moved around and probably has not been handled. At her age, she is more suitable for a breeder. The cage dimensions sound fine for a ringneck. Check out http://www.mresource.com/Birds/PERPET.HTM for helpful ringneck tips. I hope this helps you............
ravenlock

thinking of getting a lutino ringneckl

Post by ravenlock »

Dear Ravenlock,

It sounds like you're thinking of the same lutino ringneck at PetSmart in Gainesville, Florida that I have been looking at. The description of her history and current situation in exactly the same as the one I've been visiting. I haven't been to the store in about three weeks. Did you buy her? If it's the same bird, I think she would make a nice pet.

Best wishes,

Alachua
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Hey Ya'll

Tampa here. Small world huh.
Angelface

Post by Angelface »

don't use gloves if you're going to buy her and tame her...because once the gloves come off the biting starts again!
use bitter apple or bitter yuck, just make sure not to get any in your mouth! and be prepared with lots of bandaides because you will get bit!! MANY times!

Personally I wouldn't buy the bird, it can be a lot of work and sometimes they won't come out of it. I have a lutino IRN who is 13 years old now and she stilll isn't a nice bird, she won't sit on your hands and she won't come near a person.
It's up to you, if you have a lot of time and patience then go for it, but you might want to consider a breeder instead of a petstore bird