Soon to be newbie and name help

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Cannsyl

Soon to be newbie and name help

Post by Cannsyl »

Hi all,
My name is Christy and in about 6 weeks I'll be the new parent of a violet/lavendar/purple irn boy. I'm sure I'll need some help and ears along the way. And any name ideas would be great it's hard to think of a name for a purple boy.
MissK

Re: Soon to be newbie and name help

Post by MissK »

Hi and Welcome. I'm sure everyone has their own naming process that works for them. I feel it's nice to get to know your animal and see what name springs to mind. For birds, in particular, the gender is not always clear and is sometimes mistaken. I always suggest a gender-neutral name might be wise for people who bring home a young Ringneck because mistakes do happen. Ask yourself if you'd be pleased to have a male bird named Lola, or an girl named Alfred, for example.

My bird naming experiences are as follows:
One Ringneck came already named, the other had his ring, so pretty much assured to be male. I gave him a male name.
One Lineolated Parakeet came to me said to be female. I doubted, gave a gender-neutral name (Lynnie) and had him tested - boy. The other Lineolated was tested by the breeder, but I still gave a flexible name - Wally - short for Wallenda, the last name of a family of acrobats. I named all my Canaries with boy named since I bought them for boys, and they all were.

When I brought home my Budgies, I mainly used a combined method of my guesses and guesses of the sellers to name the young birds who didn't display dimorphism yet. I named them out of Rocky Horror Picture Show, since my first Ringneck came in named Rocky. SO, I ended up with a girl named Riff Raff and a boy named Magenta. The others were more appropriate. BUT, the off gender names didn't bother me; Rocky Horror is a kinda gender bending film after all, and the Budgies certainly didn't care. Don't think I would have wanted a boy Ringneck named Lola, though, so I think you really have to consider yourself when you roll the dice like that.
-MissK
Cannsyl

Re: Soon to be newbie and name help

Post by Cannsyl »

Thanks :) We are pretty sure we are getting a boy he will be DNA tested before we get him. Either way I think we are leaning toward Wicket which could lean either way. That may all change when we learn more about his personality :D
We do already have a male Canary named Sochi...we were pretty sure he was a boy but it was just after the Olympics and the name was catchy.