Help with names, please!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Finnabun

Help with names, please!

Post by Finnabun »

Hi! I'm new to this forum and I'm happy to be here :D I'm going to be adopting my first Indian Ringneck in a few days and I'm very excited. I'm deciding between a few names, so if you can help me decide or give me more ideas, please do! The bird is a blue female, so the names are based off her color and gender. The names I have so far are: Saturn, Apollo, Pierre, Neptune, Loki, Echo, or Topaz.
MissK

Re: Help with names, please!

Post by MissK »

Hi and welcome. Congratulations. Most of your names are male gendered, with the exceptions Topaz (genderless, as far as I know), Lokie (could go either way), and Echo (female).

Sometimes people end up with a mismatched gender name because the seller was mistaken or not forthcoming. I bought a bird as female who I suspected was male. I named him Wally, after the Flying Wallendas, and had him DNA tested. Male. So, a gender-neutral name is sometimes a good choice.

Sometimes it's also a good idea to get to know the animal first, before making the hard choice. I knew I wanted to name my bird Sinbad, but my first bird came already knowing his name. My second bird seems to have never had a name, so (visually confirming he was male) I was considering Sinbad. But, he was also so silly I was thinking of him half the time as Silly Pants -- so, I named my bird Mr. Sinbad Silly Pants. Naturally, most of the time I actually call him Sinny. :lol:

You'll know what name feels right to you at the time.
-MissK
Finnabun

Post by Finnabun »

Thanks for the advice! I actually went with the name Indi because it's short and fits her well. :D
- Finn
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Wow! Love the name! :) Can't wait to hear more stories about Indi as well as photos! :wink:

Best wishes,

IMRAN-C
MissK

Post by MissK »

Indi is a great name!
-MissK