My ringneck has beak issues?

Moderator: Mods

clhall646

My ringneck has beak issues?

Post by clhall646 »

I know that in some cases beak coping is necessary. However, my IRN named Darling is having other beak issues. I'm just not sure if it is normal or not. The outer layer of her beak (the coral coloring)is chipping off and revealing the white underneath. At first it started with just the very tip of her beak but has now worked its way to almost halfway up her beak. Is this a normal thing for this type of bird? I have never seen anything like this before on any other birds I've had but this is my first IRN.
AJPeter

Re: My ringneck has beak issues?

Post by AJPeter »

I believe it is normal for beaks to flake and peel it part of the regeneration of the beak but if you are really worried then a visit to an Avian vet might be best.
comlog

Post by comlog »

Dear All,
Pls see attached the pic of my Grey Female IRN. I have bought it from a friend, 1 month ago, with the same condition of her beak as it is in pic. She is active and eating well but I am worried about her beak color and texture. Pls advise what it is and how can it get normal? There is No Avian Vet in our City. Need urgent help. Pls!

Regards,

Comlog
Attachments
22016-01-31 12.58.01.jpg
22016-01-31 12.58.01.jpg (94.49 KiB) Viewed 5316 times
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Any vet, avian or not, should be able to find out if they don't know. Could this be lack of pigmentation?, as AJ says, it might be a regeneration thing, perhaps she damaged the surface at some point.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Cor! l was just about to say that too. Last year l was very worried about Billie my Alex hen's beak the outer layer was peeling the beak looked in awful condition, when some one might have been Sanjay's Mummy tod me that their beaks regenerate every so often and now she has a beautiful beak. (All the better for biting you!) At the time l tried rubbing some olive oil with a swab on her beak it was a hit or miss thing.
comlog

Post by comlog »

Dear AJ & Sanjay,
Thanks for the replies. Please if you can advise with your experience that if its regeneration of the beak then how much total time does it take.

Regards,

Comlog
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Gosh! Less thn 3 months more than a week, sorry l cannot remember. not long.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I would track down and consult an experienced breeder of IRNs if it were my bird and no vet available. Has the bird got a well rounded diet including leafy greens?
-MissK
comlog

Post by comlog »

Hi! I also suspect that the bird was on poor diet and lack of sunlight since imported from South Africa more then 1 year ago. Since its with me, I try to give variety of green veges & fruits but she only likes fresh peas. I would appreciate if anyone can suggest any particular food to get the beak color back as quickly as possible.

Rgds,

Comlog
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

We used to give our dogs elderberry extract when they had "winter" nose, (lack of pigment), I believe birds can have fresh elderberries. But, look it up first. No, Peter, t'was not I who told you that, but that's not to say it doesn't happen. Keep presenting your little one with a variety of fresh fruit and veg, because I did this and Sanjay eventually gave them a try. Walnuts are a good food, as are peppers, as they contain vitamin A which birds need for their sight. I would also try and find out what is good for our nails, because beaks are made from pretty much the same substance.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I have just found www.birdtricks.com has an article with pictures, which is very comprehensive, and offers advice.
comlog

Post by comlog »

Hello All,
Thanx! for your valuable advice. Hope the beak will get better soon.

Regards,
clhall646

Post by clhall646 »

Thanks for the responses. Not long after I posted this, my bird chewed her bed up in the night and I woke up and found her hanging by a string. It was terrible. I just wanted to tell everyone so everyone was aware of what could happen with loose strings from anything in the cage. It was a tiny tiny string she got caught in. Be careful with your babies!!! I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone else
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Is your birds all right? My hen got caught by the head after chewing up cuddle sack she was very frightened, and after biting me l managed to get it off her head and now she is fine, l said to her today "Your beak looks great." And she replied "All the better to bite you."
comlog

Post by comlog »

Hello Everyone,
Just to update, the beak of my grey IRN Female is much better now. The improvement is quite slow but I am happy that at least its getting better. In fact, the pair Yellow male and Grey female has four eggs in March. I didn't do candling till 27th day. Found out 2 were fertile but the chicks didn't develop full. I think because she wasn't feeling well in the middle days of sitting. I threw the eggs and had another four eggs clutch soon afterwards but its already 27 days but no chicks. Although this time she is sitting tight on eggs with full commitment. The cage is in my office room. Here where I live the outside temperature goes up to 38 C or 40 C so I switch on the air conditioner at 26 C temp close to me. I believe the temp around the cage would be not lower then 27 or 28 C. When I leave the office in the evening, I switch off the AC and switch on wall fan on slow speed and slightly open the office window for the birds just to keep the air rotating. Pls tell me if I am doing right?

Regards,
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

How much lower does the A/C bring the temp, your birds need a constant temp, make sure they have plenty of water and spray them as well. The hens need to sit on the egg ; cannot remember how long perhaps 28 days take the eggs away too early and the hen will lay again.
comlog

Post by comlog »

Hi AJ,
The temp around the cage comes down from 33 C to 28 C. I hv placed a water dish inside the cage that is big enough that they take bath in it whenever they want to. Thats why I don't spray water. Would really appreciate if you hv any advise.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Cannot help you with breeding, but shortly after l got my hen Billie l closed her cage up and opened the windows but l missed one of those little bowl doors and when l got back from shopping Billie was on top of the cage enjoying the breeze from the open window! I am glad your beak issues have got better, itis always a worry when something happens and you do not know the answer.