re: help - ornalyte and diet questions

Moderator: Mods

donna/wisconsin

re: help - ornalyte and diet questions

Post by donna/wisconsin »

Hi, I'm new to this site. I've posted on the intro forum and behavior forum today. For those who haven't read those, I just got a baby ringneck a few days ago. "He's" about 3 months old and was just weaned the day I got him.

I mistakenly posted a question about ornalyte on the behavior forum, then realized I should have posted it here, so I'll redo it.

How long am I supposed to continue the ornalyte in the water after bringing the bird home? (the stuff that supposed to be used during periods of stress)

Also, I'm going out of town in a week and will have someone coming by to spend time with the bird and take care of him. Should I use the ornalyte then too since he may be stressed because it's a stranger?

And a question about diet: since he's been weaned and eating his pellet food for 4 days now, can I give him any food now or should I wait a while?

I did try giving him a few pieces of corn, peas and carrots (cooked) and he ate that. He wouldn't eat a piece of tangerine.

And does it matter if the vegetables are cooked?

I appreciate any help I can get as I am a first-time bird owner.
thanks, donna
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Hey Donna,
Welcome to the board. I'm sorry none of the experienced veterans have answered your questions. I'm not sure on what to do with the ornalite. I've never used that. I would think that giving him fresh food wouldn't matter if he's eating it. Just don't give him any chocolate, avacados, or apple seeds. They will kill him. I'm not sure if that's all that shouldn't be given or not. But I do know those three are TABOO! Don't give him any of those! Apples are ok, just not the seeds. And I guess moderation is the key. Don't give them a lot of anything. But that's just me and I don't know much! :shock:

Jen
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Who put you on the Orn? Over the counter medications can mess up a birds normal internal bacteria. You could be creating a yeast infection, or worse. I would only use it if you were under the supervision of a vet. Either way I'd get your bird some BeneBac right away, to try to help balance things out.

Did you wean your bird yourself? Who weaned it? How was it weaned? My birds were abundance weaned, meaning they were given lots of fresh foods to play with, and they continued to handfeed until they decided to stop and eat the fresh things. Pellets were a very small part of that, and they remain a small part of the diet. Fresh food is far more vital to good health.

Some veggies are better cooked, but I never fully cook them, just steam them. However, raw foods are very good too. There is tons of information about proper nutrition on the web, now is a good time to look and learn. The healthier a bird eats, the better your chances of having a happy, healthy bird.

Athena