6 month old Ringneck

Moderator: Mods

ShereeceRio

6 month old Ringneck

Post by ShereeceRio »

looking for some advice!
I got Rio (6 month old ringneck) yesterday he is nervous and fly's around the cage sometimes when I go near his cage but then other times he will just stay on his perch happily looking at me.
I just have a few questions really or some friendly advice As I am quite new to the ringneck breed

1) How often should I try to go near his cage?
2) Should I change his food everyday so its fresh or leave to 1-2 days?
3) will my teacup dog stress him more as she likes to just constantly watch him?
4) I want to get his wings clipped how soon should I do this.
5) I'm hoping to get him a friend how soon or late should I do so?

any advice is appreciated and Welcomed.
much appreciation,

Shereece x
InTheAir

Re: 6 month old Ringneck

Post by InTheAir »

Welcome to the forum.

1) How often should I try to go near his cage?
I really recommend you start by reading these links http://learningparrots.com/blog/trainin ... ing-trust/
www.goodbirdinc and behaviorworks.org

2) Should I change his food everyday so its fresh or leave to 1-2 days?
Change fresh food within a few hours, especially if you are in a warm climate. Seeds and pellets are okay to leave all day. Water usually needs to be changed twice a day and dishes must be scrubbed.
3) will my teacup dog stress him more as she likes to just constantly watch him?
Highly probable. Prey animals don't generally appreciate being stared at by predators, especially when they are already scared because they are in a new environment.

4) I want to get his wings clipped how soon should I do this.
Why?
I wouldn't, because these birds are made to fly. Every part of them, even their brains. Look up how to keep flighted parrots safe and consider whether you can do it for your bird. Flighted birds are very rewarding.

5) I'm hoping to get him a friend how soon or late should I do so?
What is your intention for keeping the bird? Is he meant to be your pet?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

When I first had Sanjay, I would change his food and water, and wipe his perches every day, then give him space to settle in, I would sit next to the cage talking and singing to him. I do not believe in clipping, he is fully flighted. Anyway after a few Weeks, he began taking food from my fingers through the bars of his cage, and rubbing noses. Your dog may be tiny, but will inevitably make your bird feel vulnerable, they need to become acclimatised to each other at a distance. Another point is this, birds need flight to escape from danger, and if there is a dog around, your bird definitely needs the ability to escape from the dog, if he/she feels the need to.
ShereeceRio

Post by ShereeceRio »

thanks for the replies,

in reply to " in the air" I am keeping him as my pet not to breed.
I have been doing everything I possibly can and have read everything I can find so far.
I don't know whether I'm over panicking or not as I care so greatly hes looking very shiny but a strange shiny and also certain parts of him look a little ruffled?
I am giving him green leaves and also fruits sometimes he will eat the fruits only nibble then other times he turns his back to them :(
he seems to like spinach leaves but getting a bit worried at how he isn't taking to fruit much is this normal ?
he is eating his pellets and seeds regularly so I'm not worried hes not eating, as he is!

also reply to you both in regards to the clipping he seems to fly into things he can fly perfect but I'm to scared to get him out as he flies into all sorts I don't want him to hurt himself.

x
MissK

Post by MissK »

Just secure the area and protect the windows and let him fly. Make sure he has a high-up place to land, one to leave and one to fly to. I protected the windows by hanging curtains, thickish ones, and they were not flat against the glass, so there was some give if he went into them. Neither of my birds crashed into the uncovered windows ever, but there were some crash landings on the drapes. I think it was because they were tired of flying and I hadn't provided a landing perch.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi again,

As far as getting him a friend, your motivation for it is important. If you would like him to be a friendly pet, an already friendly male may help show him that you are cool, but won't necessarily make him tamer without great effort and understanding on your part. Male ringnecks usually make great buddies. You will still need to earn his trust, by being reliable and giving him stuff he wants (mostly nice treats).

Neither of my birds have ever been clipped, we have many places they can land like curtain rails, light fittings and perches. They have never flown into things as a rule. Sapphire did clip the corner between the kitchen and dining room when she was learning a dive stunt that Nila did all the time (she was only 6 months old and Nila had a year of perfecting the stunt before her) but was fine. When they are learning house flying it is essential to minimise hazards (especially windows and mirrors, cover them), but they should quickly be able to learn to navigate around your house safely. If they are flying into walls etc, there will be a reason ie: they are so scared of you that they ignore commonsense or something else scares them so much it overrides common sense. Create an environment where the bird feels safe.
It is not normal for birds to fly into obvious hazards. If it was there would be no wild birds in cities.
I would try to say something positive about clipping birds wings, but it is a human construct which I cannot justify so I have nothing. I highly recommend rats, cats or guinea pigs as non-flighted pets. Cats are really cool, as long as you restrict their access to wildlife.
Also flighted birds make you more sensitive, considerate and educated. If your bird won't come when you call it you have 2 options; become a better trainer or hack it's wings off. This is my little aviary raised bird doing what birds are made to do, but in a house http://youtu.be/Inr9VFc_q5E
ShereeceRio

Post by ShereeceRio »

ohhh I just looked at most of your videos HOW BEAUTIFUL you're babies are !
how well rained how long did it take you to tame them?

I don't agree with clipping I asked as a lot of people are telling me to but after speaking on here I wont be doing so. x
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I didn't really tame my birds, Nila was hand raised and I used bribery and a good understanding of body language to get Sapphire to and trusti me. Every bird and person is different so there is no set time it takes to build up trust with them.

Having flighted birds is great. You still need to research how to keep flighted birds safe in a house and how to train them. Forums are all good and helpful (sometimes) but they are not staffed by professional bird trainers and are generally full of personal opinions of people with very little scientific justification behind them. If you want a really good relationship with your bird check out the links I've posted already and learn from the pros.