fly in aviary

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

fly in aviary

Post by InTheAir »

Seasons Greetings everyone.

We finally built our guys an aviary! We put it in the patio, up against the house, so the birds can step straight out the door into it. It is 4m by 3.3m and 2.2m high. It was a major pain to build, but well worth it.

Surprisingly, Nila was happy to come out and play as soon as it was done. Sapphire on the other hand looked at the open door and freaked out. She wouldn't go near it for over half an hour! Eventually I bribed her out the door and she hung out for a bit.
Both birds will fly from the aviary into the house, but neither will fly out the door. We rigged up a boing from the curtain rail to the aviary and they fly to that and climb out the doorway. Once they are outside they are happy to fly around. It is quite interesting, because they have memorised their flying space and know there is a solid glass door there they won't fly through it. I'd like to encourage them to keep using their "bridge" as it does mean if the door is closed for any reason they won't fly into it thinking they can go outside. Our vet told us about the memorising spaces thing a couple years ago, it is very interesting to see it in action.
For christmas they got a solar powered waterfall feature to bathe in. We didn't get the water feature into the aviary until today and it has been grey and gloomy all day, so no fountaining water so far... Nila did drink from it and Sapphire tried to eat it. That's a pretty standard response from Sapphire.

I would post some photos but it's too hard on this forum, I try a verbal/text description of anyone is interested. ;)
MissK

Re: fly in aviary

Post by MissK »

Wow. You must be feeling boundless joy!
Congratulations!
-MissK
Melika

Re: fly in aviary

Post by Melika »

Thank you for sharing! These guys are ace flyers when fledged properly. I bet Nila and Sapphire are VERY happy!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay