Violet IRN

Moderator: Mods

Jade

Violet IRN

Post by Jade »

I went to a bird show on the weekend and I bought a new blue hen - interestingly enough, I called her 'Blue'. Anyway, Blue will be the girlfriend of Greeny and will hopefully be a happy pairing (and give me lots of grandfids).

Anyway, while we were there, I saw the most amazing violet IRN. He was so vivid in his colours that he just melted my heart. Only problem was, that he was $6,500.00 and i just don't have that much money. Even if i did, hubby would kill me for spending it on a bird!
natalie

lucky u

Post by natalie »

Jade cant wait to see pics of ur new baby. The Violet baby soundsgr8 , i have only seen pics of one. But that is a lot of money , even you would feel bad spending so much. Poor little babys have such a high price tags on there heads. :? natalie xxxx
To handle yourself use your head, to handle others use your heart.xx
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Jade, was this at Waterford? I was there too :D
I thought i saw a Violet for $3500 but everyone i have talked to said it was $6000 :?:
He was a nice bird, 6 years old i think.

They are nice birds though :P
Ed Loschi

Price comparison for Irns ?

Post by Ed Loschi »

The price UR being quoted for Irn's in Australia and NZ are sick.

Has anybody actually done a price comparison for Irns by color by world location?

Heck, I may become a breeder/importer/exporter.
bonjoram

Post by bonjoram »

I've seen violets advertised in the US from $1000 to $3000. Just a couple years ago, they were advertising them for $10,000. The pricing depends on age, sex, splits, etc.

Supply and demand. Anything is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

*sighs* I've been one of the lucky ones to see one...all I can say is wow and I wish I had a camera at the time. Way gorgeous

Dani and Prinny
Jade

Post by Jade »

Hey Jeremy, yes it was the one at Waterford!!! I have no idea what you look like so I didn't see you! But did you have your birds there? I saw birds like the ones you breed and you know, i was wondering about it! I should have just gone up and asked the guy if he was you!

Yep, that gorgeous guy was $6,500. He was the only one there that I saw. I got my girl for a bargain $65.00 including the holding cage she was in. She'd been DNAd and everything. I was very happy. I'll post pics soon.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Jade, i wasn't selling there :oops: Just browsing :D I came home with a Mask Lovebird :wink:

Ed, Australia has tough import/export rules and no birds get in the country, and no birds get out. If you are coming from overseas to live in Oz, you are allowed to bring one pet bird but it has to go through all the necessary quarantine measures etc. Just wouldn't be worth it. Too much stress on the bird and too much money.

Violets haven't been in Australia as long as they have been in America, that is why they are so dear. They started off at about $20 000 and gradually come down every year. Now that there have been heaps of them bred, the price has come down a lot and now more new mutations are being bred.

It is the same situation with Lovebirds. In America, the Violet mutation in the Peachface Lovebirds has been around for about 20 years. It has only just recently popped up in Australia and nobody knows who has them and if it is just a rumour or not. But i have 5 of them and apparently they are being sold for $1000 each. It is the same situation with the Opalines, only, i don't have any of these.

How much would you pay for a Pied Rainbow Lorikeet?
Jade

Post by Jade »

Its the same thing in the chicken world. My hubby breeds show chickens (yes, i know :roll: ) and he has managed to get some lavender coronation chooks. Apparently there is only him and a guy in Western Australia and some other dude in Queensland who have managed to get them. But as chickens breed so quickly, it won't be long before they are not so rare and the price for them comes right down. At the moment he gets maybe $50 to $130 per bird (depending on size and age) whereas standard chooks are about $10 each.
bonjoram

Post by bonjoram »

Here are several pictures of a Violet hen that I took at my buddy's aviary a couple of weeks ago. The pictures don't do this bird justice as this bird is really stunning in flesh. When sunlight hits the plummage, it shows an attractive lustrous sheen.

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

A guy i know had several birds stolen a few days ago, amongst them were a Violet Blue and a TurquoiseBlue Pallid Violet.
It must be a real kick in the guts to work so hard for these kinds of birds and then have them stolen. He is a pensioner too. I really hope the thieves get caught and this guy gets his birds back :evil:

Bonjoram, i am not that big a fan of the Violets. I prefer the Blue Cleartail's over any of the Ringnecks available.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Its stories like this that scare me so badly. My babies are enjoying the spring on the lania. Anyone could just walk up and take them.

If they take Baby though we will be able to identify them by the drips of blood to his door and the marks. She'll eat his **** alive. Better have a towel or be Mikaela, otherwise you'll draw back a nub and she makes no apologies.

Actually, I take that back. Matthew, my oldest can interact with her and she is cool with that but she wont step up for him (wont allow his hand in her cage) but she will come to her door and step up for him.

I had to have someone that could *somewhat* handle her in case I have to go on vacation or get sick. He handles her pretty well. In fact, I limit their time together because Im scared she'll take to him. He is more fun than me. She likes to hang out with him and all his friends. IRN's know the price for attention and are mre than willing to pay it lol.
bonjoram

Post by bonjoram »

There were actually cleartails in the same aviary but I didn't even notice them until he pointed them out to me that they were cleartails. One of the birds in the adjacent cages in the picture is actually a YH-YT. At first glance, it looked to me like a highly-contrasted Pallid.

I like the cobalts, cleartails, pieds and opalines but I probably won't spend more than $300 on any single bird.
bonjoram

Post by bonjoram »

I just noticed the other bird in the adjacent cage also has a white tail.
Perroquet

Post by Perroquet »

Bonjorum,
Your buddy has a beautiful bird but what I couldn't understand in the pictures you posted is why he has it in with a normal green male? Is it a hen or a young male? It would be a shame to breed it with a green.
Perroquet
bonjoram

Post by bonjoram »

Even with the normal Green, breeding a Violet would give you 50% Violet Greens which are already quite valuable. They fetch over $1000 a piece.

However, that male is a Green Fallow Cinnamon/Blue. Sometimes called Green Edge-Dilution Cinnamon/Blue in Bastiaan's book. So with that pairing, 50% of the expected offsprings could be the following Violet offshoots:

Violet Blue Edge-Dilution/Cinnamon cocks
Violet Blue/Cinnamon cocks
Violet Green Edge-Dilution/Blue Cinnamon cocks
Violet Green/Blue Cinnamon cocks
Violet Blue Edge-Dilution Cinnamon hens
Violet Blue Cinnamon hens
Violet Green Edge-Dilution Cinnamon/Blue hens
Violet Green Cinnamon/Blue hens

I haven't seen most of these Violet derivations so I myself am interested to see the offsprings. I was told there are actually 3-4 fertile eggs hatching.

Again you could breed it with another Violet Blue or a plain Blue male but what fun would that be?
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

It is a Cinnamon Cock not a Green, Jen.
I have seen the Cinnamon Blue Violets and they are very nice birds. In Australia they are being called Lavender and even Violet Skyblue :roll:
But they are nice, a very light Violet colour.
It would be even better if someone could breed Pallid into them. But again, the crossover occurs at only 3% so it will be a hard task.

I couldn't see the Dominant Dilute ('Fallow') but the flights do look a bit lighter than that of a Normal Cinnamon so i suppose you would be right.