Billie2

Moderator: Mods

AJPeter

Re: Billie2

Post by AJPeter »

I did not do it up very tight and the top was hanging low so l tried to do it up while it hung in her cage but she managed to get several nips in so l left it, to it own fate.

I'm still wating for the plastic eggs to arrive, but she has not hed any cuttle fish bone today and l am hoping that means the end to the laying.

She foxed me tonight l make her wait until 2 pm to be covered but 20 minutes later she chirped very nicely and l said "No its too early" and she said plain as a pike staff "Oh!" so l covered her up completely.

My downstairs neighbour has been very quiet recently so l have so long may it continue.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Makes one wonder what your neighbour is up to. When I tickled Sanjay today, I could feel the little prickles of new feather cuticles, so hopefully his moult is almost done. I am really pleased Wilko took my complaint seriously, no more wasted seedy bar lumps, this one has lasted a few days.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

1.30 am l had to shout at some drunks in the car park having a big argument, they said sorry and scuttled away.

Billie has gone off the Wilco seed bars, her big taste at the moment is fat free yogurt.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

We dislike fat free yogurts because they are thin, runny, and taste of saccharin, shudder!. So although they are allegedly .better for you, tbh, we'd rather have organic Greek, with berries. Sanjay has literally just finished off seedy bar, so I will get some more tomorrow when I get his millet.
We have Asian neighbours who allow their children to play outside on the road until late at night, even in the dark. Surely they have school to get up for?. And Sanjay grumbles at the racket from behind his cover.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie likes a nap in the afternoons and wants to be covered up but l only partially cover her but later in the afternoon she moans like the dickens if l have the TV on l have to listen with head phones.

So she ate one of her eggs, there was this horrible gooey mess in her nesting box l went to throw the last two remaining eggs away but she caught my eye with a stern glare, so l put those back in the box.

Looks like your Indian summer is on its way this week temps up to 25 c this week end your Asian children will be out screaming their heads off. We have Midland Heart housing behind us and their tenants are worse than ours one of them was using a PA speaker for music and worse.

Did you know that Conkers keep spiders away? l have been picking loose ones up. Billie has gone off Millet and the seedy bar. I managed to screw in the screws with the help of some pliers Billie has found that part of the babble ball is loose and has been working on it.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Typical!, a pagan friend tried Conkers against spiders, it didn't work. Anyway, I loved the bit in Parrot mag about the Ringneck who was arrested for being potty mouthed!. The Hahns macaw looks fun to live with, but I do wish the so called experts would cease and desist from the myth that Ringnecks do not make good pets!, I think they should visit this forum.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

A lot of newbies coming l get lost. I enjoy your emails keep them coming. Billie has discovered her tubular bell makes more noise than the babble ball, she loves bashing it when l play the organ. She loves playing around after l have covered her up, she chews a cabbage leaf into nothing and l gave her a Brocoli stalk to chew on. The autumn Equinox is upon us, soon be Christmas.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay loves his tubular bell too, it has quite a nice tone. Yes, it is Mabon, the Pagan harvest festival, when nature is getting ready for winter slumber, but we may still get some lovely autumn days. It sounds as though milady is getting back to normal now, at least she doesn't seem to be so fixated on eggs, I do hope it lasts.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

She ate her last two eggs, well bashed holes in them, there was yolk all over the nesting box. We had a right old ding dong today baffle ball got quite excited as he was roped in as well.

There is a lot of fruit on the trees could that mean a bad winter? She does not want sweet peas, and diced roots leave her cold, apple still gets a score. The corn cob gets a nibble. I think she thought the Yoghurt was off as she turend her nose up at it.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Maybe she just doesn't like low fat yogurt. It's holly berries which predict a hard winter, and there does seem to be an abundance of them, otherwise plants just react to the climate, my roses did brilliantly this year. Sanjay loves sweetcorn on the cob, he likes the little packs of stir fry veg, where you get mini sweetcorn, mini broccoli and peas in the pod, with a tiny chilli pepper, I never give him the spring onion tho'.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Recently l have been adding spice and herbs to her seeds she seem to like it. I love the way she bangs her bell and babble ball when l am playing the organ, l am thinking of getting her a drum kit, l wonder if Northern Parrots stock them!

Very warm and very windy this afternoon.

It tried chill and peppers on Billie but she does not like them.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

There is a lot of vitamin A in peppers, which they need for their eyesight. Sanjay likes a sprinkle of dried chilli seeds now and then. He scoffed three seedy bars in quick succession today, so I'm not giving him any more for a day or two, he has a bowl of parrot mix anyway. He likes a cinnamon stick now and then too.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05w9dth very interesting programme on Radio4 Iplayer on parrots.

Billie has not touched the Wilco seedy bay for days, yes l think l will cut backon hte spice but she was rolling dried herbs around in her beak savouring the taste.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Flu jab tomorrow, sigh, have you had yours yet?. I quite like Radio 4, so I will have a look on BBC i player. No more feathers, so hopefully the moult has finished, bundles of dill or coriander are his favourite herbs, and the coriander makes the room smell nice,
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I asked this week but they said next week and they would phone me when the jabs are in stock.

Always a problem, parrot smells, do they smell? Billie stinks, btw what time do you cover Sanjay up for the evening, Billie likes a darkened cage about 2 pm and a full cover by 3.
Sometimes Billie wakes up with her babble ball l wonder how my neighbour copes?

Billie is shedding her underwear there are bits of fluff all over the place, has Sanjay shed any tail feathers? They are supposed tp be the last ones to go.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay lost a tailfeather two Weeks ago, nothing since, it was such a glorious day I went into town after surgery, what a bean feast for himself, guavas, prickly pears, golden dates on the vine, fresh figs , and bitter gourds. That lot should keep his tummy happy for a while!. We are sent letters telling us when flu jab clinics are on, usually a Saturday morning when there is no surgery, Sanjay goes to bed at 9pm now, it used to be 8pm, he always semaphores when he wants his cover.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have been misreading Billie's signals she calls to be covered at 1 pm but l thought that was the end of her day but oh no she just wants a bird nap for 20 mins or so and when l uncovered her this afternoon she was quite happy until 5.30 pm which l thought was a more resaonable time for her to go to bed, she will get 14 and a half hours tonight if l wake her at 8 am, nothing like Sanjay's day. You know they need 14 hours sleep a day?
I would have sat out in the garden today But Billie did not want to so we didn't.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

No, according to my books, they need 12 hrs, given that Sanjay Always naps for an hour or so Every teatime, (no cover) it doesn't do him any harm at all, in fact, when he used to go to bed at 8pm, we could hear him noshing and flitting about, which he no longer does. Don't forget BST, if we didn't mess about with our chronology it would be 8pm anyway.
It was glorious today, himself really went to work on the cuttlebone I gave him yesterday, right down to the last crumb!, so that will keep his beak in trim.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie has a cuttle fish bone permantly she nibbles it from time to time, l put a mineral block in but she ignores that. After a short play under the cover Bille goes to sleep but does wake me up in the middle of the night with her babble ball. She seems to need the 14 hours although it is more like 15. Now I make her wait until 4.30 before l cover her and when l go into the LR in the morning too early she is on her perch but if bang around she hastily comes down and is waiting on the bottom of the cage.

She really enjoyed the bit of Ryevita l gave but the last bit broke and dropped ont he floor she did not bat an eye lid but continued eat the last bit.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay likes pumpkin Ryvita, and sesame seed. Another thing my books all agree on, is that IRN's often don't get their collar until they are over three years old. I think five is pushing it tho'. Another gorgeous day, Indian Summer as predicted, little Jack is collecting Conkers.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

The squirrells get most of the conkers, we used to bake our conkers to make them rock hard.

Billie's dummy eggs have arrived l showed her one and she was intrigued she put her tongue on the surface but when l showed her all 8 her eyes boggled, each egg has a small hole in one end that will cause her problems, but they are solid plastic so should last longer.

She was happily fussing about on the floor of the cage when she heard a noise from out side and came for a look, and was standing on the edge of the cage craning her neck to see as much as possible. A right nosey parker.

Perhaps Sanjay is bisexual? Don't worry until he starts to lay eggs and then scream.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

The cage is way too big for egg laying, he Never touches the floor, and has absolutely nothing to nest in, he spends his time sitting on perches or clambering around the top half, so I doubt very much if he would lay eggs if he does turn out to be female. I don't think there are androgynous animals, I've never heard of any. I upset a cross dressing male yesterday, "she" was so obviously male, I said excuse me please, Sir, and "it" whined "I'm not a sir", I replied, You most certainly are!, orange lipstick and stubble?, Sanjay said "Wot!" When I told him.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

"Wot!?!"

Billie laid an egg from her perch once but that was because she was imature. And she never used to go down to the bottom until l put a perch really low down, she ate that perch and l used the good part to put in the hamster cage we use to sit out in the garden. Now l cannot keep her off the floor of the cage, she likes to sleep on it, She has a plastic tray so it is easy to clean daily.

Billie likes sitting on the door of her cage, this afternoon l covered her up so we could have a doze but 20 minutes late the gardener started to trim our hedges, l could hear this indignant sqwark from under the blanket! When l uncovered her she was sitting on the top perch but wanted to see out from the very top of the cage.

So the jury is still out on Miss Sanjay l expect he is a late developer :o :lol:
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

He has a perch halfway down so he can drink and wash his face, but when he had lower java perches he never used them, and they still had to be cleaned, the floor of the palace is a metal grid, I cover it with newspaper, because do do is hard to scrub off. We were woken early by a parcel delivery, it's a lovely warm winter coat for little Jack, Isabels hasn't arrived yet, but I left Sanjay covered, partly because I didn't want his sing song to wake my night working neighbour upstairs. There are side by side pictures of an Alex and a Ringneck in one of my books, the Alex looks much bigger!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie weighs considerably more than a ringneck, and l think would be bigger her tail is much longer too, when she had the big cage it measured 14" and then add 4 for her body!

Today has been quite exciting, yesterday l, gave her a plastic nut and bolt and showed her how to undo it, during the night she did undo it but today deceided the better way of undoing the nut was to bite it off.

Well she managed to lift it over the threshold and it dropped onto the floor and then she flew down to play with it. She has never flown to the carpet from her cage before, l told her l would allow it if she is supervised. I put some other toys on the floor and she had a merry time chasing after them.

She has dropped two flight feathers is this a moult? She looks itchy so l got out the Feather up stuff and will put some in her food. Next week l want to go to all day conference and l shall have to lock her in until l get back. My downstairs neighbour asked me very nicely if l could ask that nice old man who lives above if he could softly. I shall ahve to use head phones!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Could softly what? We are intrigued, (oo'er missus). Summer at last!, at least until the end of October, "Halloween" is correctly named Samhain (pronounced Sowain) which means Summers End, it is the thirteenth month in our year, and Samhain is New Years eve. So expect all the leaves to drop seemingly overnight.
Sanjay doesn't give a flying lettuce, he has his own personal UV light!, it is always summer in the Palace. Never goes down to my floor, not even for a dropped treat, Billie is very bold!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

If he could play softly.

Well l turned the whole organ volume down and could hardly hear it but blow me down she has friends in who shout and laugh.

I allowed Billie to play on the floor now she flies down every time l open the cage, worse she has started to bite a TV cable, l shall have to lock her in when l go out but she gives off thess plaintive calls that shrivel my soul.

Better a shrivelled soul than an electrocuted bird. Pardon my spelling.

However it is fun to watch her chase off after the nut and bolt or babble ball, btw Northern Parrots sell babble balls for 8.99, Pets at home charge £7 or two for £5, she stands guard over it and l have to risk a bite to throw it. I threw the plastic nut and bolt into her cage, but she lifted it up and dropped it onto the floor and flew down to it.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Well, as Sanjay says, he can only play with one babble ball at a time, he's had his for many years and it is still going strong. Prickly pear are messy, but not sticky, the red ones stain his java perch with their juice, but a good soak in Milton (babys bottle bleach) and thorough rinse will sort it out. I watched an animal clip programme on Ch 5 earlier, and there were some very comical parrots, including a potty mouthed Australian Sulphur Cockatoo, lots of beeps!. They're worse than children for picking up naughty words,
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

The Macaw we had in the pet shop was taught naughty words by the children.

Billie has got into trouble. We were playing catch on the floor when she got over excited and bit me afterwards l showed her the blood she was very concerned, I decided to teach her what "No" means, every time she looked as if she was goingto fly to the floor l said "No" but every time she did l picked her up on a perch and saying "No"

Eventually she looked at me to see if it was okay but when l said No she tried to climb down the outside of the cage and l shouted at her "Get back in your cage" And she did.
At the last l was able to leave the cage open with out her trying to get to the floor. Let's hope she remembers the lesson tomorrow!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Methinks you're hoping for too much. I had to replace the batteries in babble ball earlier, and Sanjay did his hummingbird impression, hovering just above me because it's His babble ball, he gave it a good beaking to when I put it back.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Oh l do not know about that, they are very inteligent, today l was able to leave the top and door open with only one transgression. And when l went to church l left the top open (But turned off all the wall sockets!) When l leave the room she flies up from the floor and sits on the back of my armchair.

She is very itchy in this moult, did l tell you the plastic eggs have arrived so l will have to wait until next year before l can spring thom on her.

Did you find the screws of the babble ball dificult to undo?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

No, I have never had a problem with the screws. Well, it looks as though miladys stopped laying at last!, less stress all round.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

But l cannot use the new plastic eggs that came from China until she lays again! Today she was on the floor all morning but in the afternoon l made her stay in her cage she was trying to work out devious schemes she could get to the floor first by flying to the arm of my chair and flying down to the ground but l was able to use my favourite parrot expression.

"Naughty!"

I think it is the small screw driver which l find difficult to hold
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

They can be fiddly. Sanjay has a new ball, like the Guinea pig one but without a bell, it's pink, and he screamed blue murder when I showed it to him, now he plays with it, hey ho, fickle is his middle name!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie's favourite colour is yellow and her top three toys are a rolled up news paper tied with string and hung from the back of dinning room chair, she gets so annoyed when she hits it and it swings back and hits her, second is a yellow bolt with red nut and her third best is a s red babble ball l have to be very careful when hit the las two as she will bite me but l shepherd them under the roll with a stick so she has to move it to get to them.

Today l had to go shopping but she did get a little play, and after wards l said "No" she clmbed down the outsuide of the cage and l shourted "Get Back and Naughty!" and she climbed back up the out side of the cage.

She has a wicked laugh this morning l took her bowls out to clean and when l came back discovered she had pooped on my chair, "That's disgusting!" l told her and she went "Heh HEh HEh!"
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Oh yes, the chuckle, I know it well. Himself was in a cuddly mood, if there is such a thing with ringnecks, but he asked for a scritch and tickle, and preened my hair, I should have called him Vidal Sassoon.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

When l got back from my day out Bilie was sitting on the back of my arm chair watching tv
she was ever so pleased to see me it had been nearly five hours. Recently she has not wanted any cuddles or scratching her head but she let me give her a big cuddlel

After a belated lunch she had an extended play and l helped by knocking her toys about she dashed off after them. I let her stay up and it was close to 4 pm before she wanted the first cover and then 30mins later she let me know she was ready for the last cover.

No Sanjay suits him better.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Northern Parrots catalogue turned up today, I rather like the double holders for the jelly pots and the big jars of assorted flavours, his hatch day is in November sometime so I might treat him to those, there is a melon flavour jelly now, the Asian supermarket sells banana jelly and lychee, they do not contain gelatin because it comes from pigs, they contain caragheen, an Irish seaweed, which is a setting agent, my grandchildren love banana jelly.
Did you have your flu vaccination?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

By Golly they were going to phone me and no l have not had my flu injection thank you for reminding me! Friday tomorrow l will give them merry hell.

Halloween comimg up got anything special lined up?

My NP cat arrived today too. I quite like the skewers. But here is no point in buying the jelly pots as HM would eat the pot too. I looked at the toys and although they are very nice they would not last 2 minutes with Billie, the same with a snuggle hut she went through a couple of times but bit through the supporting straps. She has a paper roll dispenser and drags paper out all the time.

She had a good play on the floor this morning and l joined in too, sfterwards l had to put the vacuumn clean around to clear up the mess. I blamed her and she blamed me!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

My daughter and I hold a dumb supper at Samhain (Halloween) and afterwards we consult runes and Tarot, we never involve Jack or his sister, they have the usual fancy dress, trick or treat silliness, which all children love. We had to adapt the last jelly pot holder, because he could lift the pots out, and invariably dropped them, daddi used a lolly stick and two little brass screws which swivelled and held the pot in place. The Skewers they sell are way too short, which is why I buy bamboo Skewers, pop a peg at the bottom to stop food falling off, and peg the Skewers to the roof bars. He had a bought one in his nursery cage, and it was just enough for him, but now he noshes a lot more, they are inadequate. Ok, flu jab, and warm home discount. I applied for mine last month. The sooner it's done, the quicker we get it.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Right. Flu jab Check, had it today. Warm home discount, l had a letter form HM to say they will pay it, if you do not get a letter by 31 dec phone them.

Today Billie was on the carpet all day, when l did not throw her toys so she could chase them she chewed my shoes, early this afternoon she went very quiet and when l looked she had fallen asleep and was have a bird nap but as soon as l moved she woke up.

She did the decent thing and went into her cage to poop. When it got to 3 pm l thought it was time to get her ready for bed but she was game to stay out but l managed to get her toys into a box and she called it a day. When l went out at 5 pm, for my afternoon walk she was already fast asleep.

She has not shed any feathers for the last couple of days, l was wondering whether they have short molts.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Funnily enough I wondered too, Sanjay hasn't shed anywhere near the usual amount this time. My warm home discount was sorted in September, I had an e mail reminding me to put in for it, which I did, then I too received a formal letter from HM. My flu jab didn't hurt this time, just a slight scratch, last year it was painful and bruised afterward, have you had the pneumonia one?, this is fairly recent, I believe it started in 2013. I must give the palace a good steam and scrub, daily lick and a promise is all very good, but it's time for something more radical. He needs new plastic carpet covering, an Asian shop sells plastic table covering by the metre, it's better than those wilko ones, it doesn't harden when it is washed, and it's only £2.99 a metre. Wasn't it cold today?.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Yes l nearly froze when l went for my walk, I opened the Too small box as l changed my summer clothes over for the winter ones. I was quite suprised that l could fit into all the too small stuff, so l wore a windcheater and thin trousers and wished l had put something warmer on. I wore them because l can just get into 42" waist, l now have too many trousers, too many top coats, l hate throwing clothes away.

Her downstairs has not been in residence for a week, it could be because she has a newboy friend. I get a good nights sleep with out waking up to her midnight weanderings.
I still wake up my tummy rumbles of a night something shocking.

I thought l would wash the plastic base of Billie's cage in the bath soon, maybe tomorrow.
The steam cleaner to to be an awful bore, and I have not used it since last year before last.

Funny enough my flu jab still hurts, as for a pheumonia jab l might give that a miss.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

The pneumonia jab is a one off, and it means you will Never get pneumonia, ever. I haven't unpacked my winter clobber yet, take stuff you cannot use to a charity shop, and then you will have space for new useable stuff. Daddi always wore thermal long johns and T shirts, and thinsulate socks and gloves. I hope your noisy neighbour stays away!. Himself has been very toonful today, I may buy him some hibiscus flower treats, they look yummy.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Well the good news is that all the Too small now fit although some of the trousers were a tight fit, I might give some of the clothes to the charity shop but some need a stitch or two. Now Billie spends a lot of time one the floor with her toys she is eating less. You should see her chase off after them when l boot them.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

My warm home discount came today, And chestnuts are on sale, so me n' Sanjay had a very good day. In fact he gets so excited he makes me smile, there is no mistaking a very happy little bird!. Sanjay gets stroppy if I touch his toys, even if it's just to pick them up off the floor for him, he definitely doesn't do floors. Don't worry if some items need a stitch or three, at those prices it's no biggie for customers to do a few repairs.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Yes l have a zip to sew back in, more blood, went shopping today but did not see any cheshnuts, l think l might make another foray on friday, it is very noticeable that the evenings are getting dark early. Billie has gone off corn on the cob l did buy some in case she changes her mind but it is a good thing to run down the sweet and fatty foods inpreparation for winter, then in the spring to add them back in as a signal to start laying eggs, and then l can use the chinese plastic dummy egg.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

The palace was duly scrubbed, and the new plastic carpet cover laid, he took a great deal of interest when I put it down,.You could try the market for chestnuts, ours came from the Asian supermarket, I told Sanjay Billie doesn't like corn cob, he looked quite nonplussed!, he even likes the pre cooked vacuum packed ones I buy when fresh ones are unavailable.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie was in the dog house after she bit me this afternoon, I was trying to pick up one of her toys to throw it, l put her into her cage while l stemmed the blood, telling her all the time how naughty she is, then l let het out and after l had sat down she flew to my knee and preened her self this is a great honour and l think her way of saying sorry.

Last year there were a lot of cheshnuts in ASDA so l do not have to worry, and as l live on the outer circle, to go into the centre of Birmingham is a drag. Corn on the cob is a stop go thing yesterday she ate most of it the day before none of it.

I did a real stich up job on the zip if it come loose again it is the charity shop!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

A lot of people dont realise this, but charity shops get money for rags too, anything a bit too past it for sale, goes to rag men who pay by the bag. Those bites sound sore, I am so glad Sanjay never bites. We used to travel to the NEC for Crufts, a long journey, compared to Olympia, but when your dogs qualify it's a crime not to enter them, the owners of a male Samoyed we had bred, were offered a blank cheque for him by an American couple, but his owners flatly refused to part with the lad. We never visited Birmingham itself, apart from Dudley for an Open dog show, as well as the NEC.