Billie2

Moderator: Mods

AJPeter

Re: Billie2

Post by AJPeter »

Billie is not vocal sad to say, but she is my darling, this evening she was making humpy noises and then she came out and siddled down the front of the cage which is her way saying she wants a cuddle, after a quick neck scratch she wanted to go back so l started to cover her up.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

You're lucky, my little minky wouldn't go back in at bedtime, I had to bribe him!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Last year Billie would not go in her cage and in the end l went to bed and left her sitting on top of the cage in the morning she was still there but she was ever sio pleased to see and went into her cage to eat.

She shows no sign of giving up her eggs, l shall have to be patient. she laid the first on June 18rh but l am determined that she will have to give them up.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

You will have to wait out this battle of wills!, My new TV shuts down after a few hours, despite my attempts to turn the timer off, so Sanjays Classic FM would go off while I'm out, I bought a very nice little Bush radio from Argos today, just the job, and it was the last i.e. Got Parrots magazine I loved the sweet little story about the African Grey who said "wotcha mate", I had a tear or two though pets are such heartbreakers.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Well some good news, l go out for a walk at 5 pm by which time she is safely covered up and when l get back about 50 mins later l put my head round the door so make sure she is alright, well tonight l uncovered her and she was sitting on her sleeping perch the first time that has happened since June 18th so cross your fingers that her egg sitting may be coming to an end.

Your new tv might be too hot where it is try relocating it, otherwise it will be back to the shop for a refund. I am not sure what Billie listens to while l am out l leave the TV on for her tuned to a wildife program (if l remember!)

Parrots was good.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I found the correct setting to disable the timer, so the TV is sorted. A very fruitful day no pun intended, ths Asian stall had guava, fresh figs, grenadilla, and all the things Sanjay loves best of all. Good news about Billie, everything comes to he who waits and waits......and waits.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

For two nights Billie slept outside the nestong box, to me l thought she had abandoned her eggs, so l took her nesting box and eggs out of the cage this morning but by the afternoon she is chomping on the cuttlefish bone as if there is no tomorrow and sliding down the outside of the cage, so l hastily re-instated her nesting box and eggs.

She carried out an inspection but spent most of the afternoon out of the box, its anybodies guess what will happen next. She has been eating a lot of sunflower seeds lately, l keep them in a small bucket seperate from her seed bowls, so l thought l would weigh her. I put the scales on the table and she put up quite a resistance so l had to put on the gardening gloves but it was obvious not a weighing day today. But later she came out for a cuddle and while sitting on my arm l got the scales and put them back on the table she knew something was up but l put other hand over her to steady her, and as l lowered her she wriggled free and sat on the table next to the scales, l gave her a little push with my finger and she got on the scales and just stood there. Well done Billie!

275 grams she has been worse, in Jan she was 285 and in April 272 grams following a diet
but all the inactivity of recent months she has put it back on.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Well, at least the laying hasn't left her out of condition. Maybe the cuttlebone was replacing calcium she lost. The moult is well underway, but no tail feathers yet, he is gorging on the guavas, and polished off an entire bitter gourd!,
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I take my hat off to Sanjay he will eat anything. I thought this morning Billie looked as if she was going to lay an egg but after a shower ( and poop in my bath) now l am not sure
She enjoyed some ryevita dipped in mushroom soup, and some plain yougurt she holds her beak open like a baby bird and wants me to pour yougurt down the hole.

Red sunset tonight shepherds will be pleased.

Billie has inspected her eggs a couple of times but mostly l have enjoyed her company, tonight she was on her sleeping perch when l covered her up at 3 pm which is later than recently.

Billie might go through a moult when she has finished sitting on her eggs although she had a moult in Jan.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Shopped again today, bank holiday on Monday, so I bought him some plums, and kiwi, enough food to keep that little red beak busy. Sanjay loves scraping yogurt from my finger with bottom beak and scooping it into his dear little mouth, he goes to bed later now, sometimes he takes himself into the cage and semaphores, sometimes I have to bribe and cajole him. His head is spiky, so the tail feathers won't be far away.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie is still chomping on the cuttle fish bone but no egg, she does not show much interest in her eggs, she bashes them around in the nesting box but sleeps outside on the floor of the cage, she loves sharing my lunch, l bought it all on a tray but had to go back for a knife when l returned she had the lid off the Flora tub and was scooping flora up, but she likes soggy toast soaked mushroom/chicken soup, and for afters a spoon full of yogurt, l have blackberries with mine. She tilts her head back and wants me to pout it down her throat!

She had a wood twig from Pets at home and threw it around as she grew tired of I slipped in a booklet of bible notes, l took out the staples and she was chewing her way through it. I let her sleep late this morning and she was still playing with the notes at 3 pm!

I nearly got caught by a phishing scam purporting to be MBNA.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Fortunately I don't get that with my phone. Its been a typical bank holiday Sunday, gloomy and wet but, hey ho, Sanjay has his own personal sunshine, Have you tried dipping one of your blackberries in yogurt for milady?, Sanjay loves blackberries or raspberries dipped, Billie might just take to them.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

She treid some blackberry juice and yogurt you could see her pull a face she puts up with a lot from me recently l took out the bucket with sunflower seeds and merely mixed them into her seed bowl. Also this morning l moved her cage because she is still looking for a way down.

We both prefer it on the other side of the room, it makes more space and she can see the TV better, also at night it shuts out more light and during the day, l can see her. We had a poached egg for tea but l forgot the blackberrries and yogurt.

Yesterday was a nice sunny day but today it has rained all day and is still raining!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Lucky you, yesterday And today was horrible, more like winter than summer. Sanjay wasn't bored, but I certainly was, thank goodness we are back to normal tomorrow!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Today we shared a fried egg but she was not keen but made a bee line for the yogurt, even Flora did not get a look in, l had to shut her in when l went shopping because she is still trying to find a way down. Went to the pet shop and bought more cuttlefish bone, and a new toy, a babble ball that makes different sounds when you move it but you have to hit it really hard. She was quite intrigued with it.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Try changing the batteries, Sanjays babble ball babbles at the merest vibration, but is silent if hanging up, so his is attached to his "roof garden" where he plays footie or beats it up.
We bought one of our male Samoyeds a wiggle giggle ball, but after "apologising" to it, he gave it a wide berth. We had sun today, and I played a "Hooked on Classics" CD, and he was off! Chortling and singing along!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

How lovely Billie is not vocal, but she has got the hang of the babble ball she hits it and waits for the sound after awile she hits it again but harder, l rehung her tubular bell inside the cage to see if she would ring it but no joy yet, she has a lot of toys the best are some very large plastic triangles, she managed to chew through one set. her beak is so strong she has split the rim of a stainless steel bowl!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay has dozens of toys, he's demolished the wooden bits, but recently he has entertained himself, and totally ignored the ones in his cage. He still plays with his jingly cat balls when he is out.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie has been bashing the babble ball she loves it. And since l moved her cage to the other side of the room she has taken to flying more which is good exercise. I used a lit candle to check for drafts, it gave Billie an awful fright but there were nio drafts.

The last couple of days she has not been looking for a new nesting site so l am keeping my fingers crossed.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Getting her a new toy was inspired, it seems to have taken her mind off laying. Sanjay is doing a lot of preening, even with sprays, I made some new toys today by salvaging undamaged stuff from his old toys. I wasn't sure if the ultra grooming was boredom or moult itch, he is eating well, and otherwise fine.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

?????????????

Me: "What's this ere egg doing here?"

Billie: "Hatching?"

So no more treats, no more bread, no more sweet food, no rides on my shoulder, she was pretty upset when she only found vegeatables in her fruit bowl. She had the yogurt and when my back was turned some nibbles at the cheese, no orange segments in fact less food all round/ But l let her keep the babble ball and other toys.

As l played the organ she flew to my shoulder but l took her back and then she flew to my shoulder again so l told her "You do not get rides if you lay eggs." And l took her back she took it out on the babble ball.

They do itch when they moult l used Hallo Vera on Billie
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I can't get close enough to use Aloe Vera, but the rosewater and glycerin seems to loosen things, the first tail feather today, when the dogs moulted, a good strip out and bath really helped things along. Aww, poor Billie, being punished for doing what comes naturally, I can understand no sweet foods, but no shoulder rides?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

The only reason she wants to sit on my shoulder is either to poop or masturbate, l put up with the latter when she was sitting on her eggs but now l think it best not to allow either.

She very craftily removed the babble ball from its chain, now she kicks it around the floor of her cage and has a lot more fun. I have left her egg on the bottom of the cage if she lays another or sits on her eggs she can have the nesting box back, the ball is in her court.

The aloe vera bottle has a pump spray Billie enjoyed the spray when she was very itchy.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay concurs, babble balls are for footie, and giving a good beaking to!, otherwise there is absolutely No play value in them. People in parrot rescue put an old towel or cloth over their shoulder, for shoulder rides. As for the M word, I wasn't aware that was avian behaviour. When dogs hump legs, its a sign of dominance.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Since l put my foot down Billie has not asked to M on me, she used to fly to my shoulder and then she push my ear lobe to see if l would allow it but now she no longer flies to my shoulder. And as for poop that is a thing in the past too, but she laid another egg last night, so l got oput the nesting box and put two dummies in it, she went in and arrange the eggs, kicking out all the ripped up paper, and then she ignoered the eggs.

I think this could mean more to come but this time apart ftom putting dummy eggs in l shall leave well alone, even if she loses interest in them. She has been booting the babble ball about, l wonder how long the batteries last? l shall buy some more on tuesday.

It seems M to be normal behaviour for parrots, some more than others. A babble ball is a good alternative.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay had a lovely time today, walking, upside down on his "ceiling" and messing about on top of my TV cabinet, the new fresh coloured plumage is growing in nicely. I haven't actually timed the babble ball batteries, I change them when it goes silent. Tiny batteries, and about three or four of them, you will need one of those dinky little screwdrivers used for spectacles. The weather was gorgeous here, it looks like Indian summer is here.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Yes some good weather, l have a load of tiny screw drivers somewhere, but where?
The Babble ball is still babbling.

Expeting an egg tomorow, but no sign in the under carriage. I shall have to let her have her laying cycle before l move the cage.

I told Billie it would be nice to sit out in the sun if she would stop laying.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

The wind's a tad chillikins tho'. Sanjay had a lovely surprise today, the Asian supermarket had prickly pear!, unlike the market stall, someone had thoughtfully removed those pesky little bristles, they are worse than splinters, I usually have to wear rubber gloves to wash and scrape them. When it is something my little friend likes, I don't mind.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have a monster in comparison, Bille loves her babble ball so much that when l tried to remove it to check the batteries she bit me so hard l had to squeeze her neck before she would let go. And l dropped her babble ball into her swimming pool. Look l told her there is another one, but funny enough it has different words, you did not tell me the screws are impossible to undo, WD40 helped, but l did not replace the batteries and only lightly screwed the cover back on.

Bille was a bit off colour this morning, she normally cannot wait until l fill the seed bowl but after l had, she showed no interest in it so l made some crumble from dried eggs but she ignorred that as well, she comes up to the top of the cage and even flies to my hand but as soon as l approached the cage she dives for the nesting box where two dummy eggs sit,
I thought me might lay this morning but nothing.

Strange bird!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

No appetite? I hope she isn't poorly!, squeeze her neck?, when Sanjay bit me that one time, I prized his beak apart gently, only the bottom half works, keep that in one place, and the top part cannot close on it's own. I have never had problems unscrewing the babble ball.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Well l managed to get the battery compartment open after a big struggle and it started to work so l screwed it back together, Billie did not like the chain on it and managed to get it off now she picks it up by the loop, it is too big for her to hold in her claw but she holds it against the cage while she gets a fresh hold, once it rolled and fell on the floor she wailed so l recued it and gave it back to her. I bought another babble ball but l dropped that one into her water bowl and now it does not work very well, l am hoping it will dry out.

No egg this morning if there are none tomorrow l will move her back, she does like sitting on the top of the cage and bossing about. The oven clean man came and l him asked to say hallo to Billie he said she was a beautiful bird Billie beamed with pride so did I!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

An oven clean man?, you jammy dodger!, it's one job I hate.Mind you, I use roasting bags, so it doesn't get too bad. Babble ball should dry out ok, the batteries are probably a bit damp. Sanjay sits on the farthest perch, he isn't easily flattered!, he eyes strangers up very suspiciously!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

He did a good job and he came to say goodbye to Billie, total cost with £5 tip £55 well that will do for another three years.

Billie in dog house, there was no egg this morning and I promised her a move back if she did not lay again and this morning she was sitting there wistfully looking out of the window from the far side of the room so l moved her back, but later l caught her chipping at a dummy egg so took both away and gave her real ones (2) back while l searched the internet for plastic eggs. I thought that would scotch her egg! I read that one should put all the dummy eggs (5) in the nest as soon as she starts laying and to use a bowl not a wooden box.

So l used the lid of a glass casserole dish and put all five dummy eggs in it but later she was chipping away at one of the dummy eggs again. So she scotched my egg. She now has her two real eggs back in the glass lid. Honours even.

Plastic eggs on order.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

She isn't fooled by dummy eggs if she is chipping at them. She may chew plastic ones, hey ho!. Coo!, I wouldn't mind £50 for every time I've cleaned an oven!. Missed my vocation, obviously. Golden dates on the vine, he doesn't care if they are "translucent" or not, he noshes them anyway.we shared an organic blueberry yogurt today, nom nom!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I gave Billie's cage a good clean but she started to climb down the outside which is a prelude to looking for a nesting site, so l hastily reinstated her nesting box put the shredded papper in and her two eggs. But she got the paper all tangled around her legs and l pulled it free , she went into the wooden box and started to scratch around making it it homely.

She can pick up the babble ball up by a loop in the middle and by spreading her claw can hold the babble ball she can get it over the threshold and drops it on the floor and then sqwasks until l pick it up and toss it back into her cage. She stands by the babble ball and pushes it forward a couple inches and dares me to grab it, and if l do she lunges.

On the wrapper it says "Do not submerge." So the next time l go to the pet shop l will buy another because the one l dropped into her water bowl does not work. Amazon told me that the plastic eggs have left China and Billie has made no attempt to chip her real eggs!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay has dropped two long tail feathers, jack Will be pleased!. I didn't think she was fooled by dummy eggs, too clever by half!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie has left her own eggs alone, but only a couple of weeks to the plastic dummy eggs.

She managed to lift the Babble ball 3" over the threshold of her door and drop it onto the floor, then she flew down and stood guard over it. I gave it a push with my toe and she dashed across the floor after it just like a dog, l managed to pick her up on the end of a stick and then grabbed the babble ball and threw that into the cage after her.

You were right about the other Babble Ball drying out, it is not perfect but it is getting better. And Billie is getting better at staying up late before as soon as the sun came round and shone into the LR she wanted to be covered up at 1.30 pm now she lasts until 3 pm, and huffs and puffs until l leave her at 5 pm! Then l go for a walk come back and fix my dinner.

I was hoping Bille would moult that at least would have put paid to the egg laying but she has not and worse she still eats large amounts of cuttle fish bone
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Her little body probably needs the extra calcium, laying must take a lot out of her. If you'd seen our female dogs after a litter, you'd have probably called the RSPCA!, I should imagine laying eggs has the same effect on hens. Have you got her on a vitamin and mineral supplement?.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Despite all my efforts to keep her off a rich diet she has laid another egg! The quicker those dummy eggs arrive the better, l have some but they are plaster and she knows they are dummies as she chips them away, the new oncs coming are plastic!

The cuttle fish bone needs replacing, she gets extra vitamins but she turned her nose up at a mineral block and in fact never looked at it. I stopped giving her fruit but have put that back on the menu.

Her eggs are in the nesting box, we went through a similar cycle last year, sometimes she will sit on one or two eggs and leave the others out, it is her way of hatching them all at the same time.

I keep a diary with her weight and egg laying, so it is useful to look back ans see what is going on.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Billie knows what's going on, but she isn't saying!. I gave the palace it's monthly strip and scrub, and himself nagged and divebombed, that's gratitude for you, but as soon as his food went in he made his "thank you" noise, funny little person.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie just takes it for granted that food will appear, and when l am late or slow she just sits there and looks at me with sad eyes/ The babble balls still sounds but l think the batteries are running down. If l go slowly and tell her what l want to do she allows me to to pick up the babble ball, but she loves dropping it over the threshold and chasing after it along the carpet. I have reinstated the fruit and corn as it did not stop her laying when l took it out.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay actually got to eat a wilko seedy bar without half of it breaking off and falling, these new ones are much better , we shared banana yogurt today., and the asian supermarket had prickly pear again. It should be chestnut time soon.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie likes cheshnuts there are some floating around in the bottom of the freezer, we had an accident today she laid an egg last night and l put her bowl of water down on it and broke the shell, l did try her with a dummy egg but two minutes lates she was chipping it, I bought some spagnum moss and a wicker basket to hold her eggs but as soon as my back was turned she started pulling the basket to pieces so l reinstted the nesting box and stuffed it with spagnum moss but she did not like that and dragged the most out.

The plastic eggs are due to arrive between 19th Sept and 10th Oct. She wont be able to chip those. I bought another babble ball. When the batteries run out in the current one l will have a rpelacement so l do not have to rush the battery exchange. She lets me pick up her ball,

Parrots is out some interesting articles make sure you get your copy.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

The newsagent always keeps my copy on one side. Today he has a canary seedy bar, he loves canary seed. I spent the morning planting up my window boxes and hanging baskets with Cyclamen, winter pansies and ivy, with under planted with Chinodoxia and miniature Irises, Sanjay was very patient, and we exchanged "calls" so he knew where I was. Then the heavens opened, so I got it done just in time!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Your news agent loves canary seed?

Billie likes to know where l am and l call to her when ever she gets worried. She was skinny dipping in her bowl but accepted my offer of a big shower in the bathroom and she got very wet but when we came back she wanted to do some more skinny dipping!

Yes there was no rain today!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Lucky you! It tipped down All Day!. Sanjay got very stroppy with me today because I had the temerity to take down and wash curtains, and gave the windows a good clean!, I thought he'd enjoy people watching, but obviously not, he squawked and spat feathers!,once the blinds were back down, clean curtains in situ, he was back to his affable self and had a sing song, what a tart!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie has this sound she uses to call me it sounds like an Indian viper's death rattle but l think it her rendition of a magpie! The trouble is the Magpies are constantly using it and l am rushing back and forth.

Do you get the Northern Parrots email news letter? It is quite interesting. The trees in the park are turning lovely red colours.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Yes, ty, I did. Magpies are wonderful impressionists, I often think Sanjay has followed me down the road, and it's a Corvine mimicking him!. They did brilliant trim phone impressions back in the seventies. The trees, fooled into thinking it was autumn a few months back, have turned colour early, due to the chilly, wet non summer. My late husbands memorial tree is a Ginko Biloba (maidenhair), it's little fan shaped leaves will turn sunny yellow.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

You said Sanjay plays footie with his Babbleball does that mean it is not on a chain? Billie now has three babble balls the one l dropped into her water bowl, and two others one the battery is getting low. I reattached the chain on one of them and left the other on her cage floor and she prefers the one hanging up, she is like a boxer with a punch ball.

I sat down to see how the batteries are fixed in the water babble ball and Bille flew across she was very interested and wanted to help, as one screw came out she grabbed it and startesd to roll it around her beak and she would not give it back so l offered her the screwdriver and she dropped the screw, l put it where she could not get to it she helped me to take the other screw out and l grabbed that before she could.

Then she helped get the cover off but when she saw the three shiny batteries she wanted to grab them, as l was prising them up she grabbed one and flew off with it, the other two popped out and rolled under the sofa. I manged to get those back and l held my hand under her beak and she dropped the battery into my palm.

But as l re-assemble it the babble started to sqwark, Bille thought l commiting murder and she flrew across and attacked me l had a job defending my hand from her but she calmed down when it stopped.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Ah yes, babble balls are trigger happy, it doesn't take much to set them off!, Sanjays is attached to the bottom of his play gym, but he still gets to chase it around. Billie reminds me of himself when I forget to remove my nose stud, he lifts it out in an instant! , then when he's taste tested it, he drops it, and it is so tiny, I have to use my light up magnifying glass to look for it!, they love tiny things. I tried a prickly pear today, sweetish, and very similar to melon, but full of seeds, which are a turn off, but it's the seeds Sanjay loves.