Welcome Mr. Sinbad Silly Pants!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

SkyeBerry

Re: Welcome Mr. Sinbad Silly Pants!

Post by SkyeBerry »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

THEY'RE DOING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocky and Sinbad have given up separate perches and now sleep together always. :D
They frequently eat from the same cup at the same time, though there are two cups of everything. Looks like a pair of little see-saws! :lol:
And today I see Rocky feeding Sinbad and Sinbad now taking food willingly. Brings a tear to the eye! :(
He even takes some of the food Rocky still bestows on the cage bars.
They took advantage of a poorly latched door a few weeks ago, and spent part of a day and all night loose in the living room - at least I *think* they stayed in the living room. (Last time Riff Raff was out all day I found her sleeping on her cage but there was Budgie poop in the kitchen window sill.......... ) Next morning found Rocky and Sinbad side by side in the play gym tree.

I'm so thrilled my Ringnecks seem to have made that next to last step in their friendship. Still waiting to see Sinbad feed Rocky back. Now if only I can figure out how to join those cages. They're both living in Sinbad's cage right now.

CELEBRATE!!!!!!! with us!
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Congratultions!

Are they male and female? or both males? If both males the dominant one will feed the other best not to disturb that arrangement.
MissK

Post by MissK »

They're both boys, and have doing the boy wings thing for each other much of the year.
I don't think I could change what they're doing if I wanted to! Them being pals enough to feed - that's a dream come true! I do have two boy Budgies, though, who take turns feeding each-other. I'd like that for the Ringnecks as well. Maybe next year.

Sinbad's doing so much better about me reaching in the cage, too, since Rocky moved in and showed him how to chill out. I think I've caught him pausing to take note lately when I mimic his special dog whimper noise.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It is funny how they react to sounds, l can get Billie to stand on tip toe calling louder and louder when l make dog whimpering sounds. I recorded from the TV the dawn chorus and played it to her this morning, she reponds to the Robins and Bluetits but ignores the pigeons
MissK

Post by MissK »

Let's talk about moulting. (CLAWNZ, I'm looking at you......)

As we know, Sinbad's been here just a week or so short of a year. Upon arrival his feathers were a mess and I waited and waited for the moult which finally began, I guess, in April? March? Should have written that down......

He started, as far as I'm concerned, backwards, with the big tail feathers. Then for a while he dropped middle size wing feathers more or less in pairs. I then got some largeish soft feathers, and what seemed like an insufficient amount of little down. It looks like he's doing it much differently than Rocky does.

Speaking of Rocky, he just this week dropped his first feather, a small wing type one.

I understand that, while they were offered the same foods for the past year, they have probably chosen to eat different items from their options. I also understand that their social/emotional/environmental stress situations have been different, as we all learned to live with each other. Their schedules, lighting, heating - environmental variables - have been identical.

So I have questions and, being me, I'm not satisfied to just say "Well, they're unique individuals".

Now, Rocky is on schedule in accordance with his past moulting performance. However, I am baffled with Sinbad. Why did he start early? Why did he start backwards? Why is his moult so light? Time will tell if he does any more.

Anybody have feathers for their area of special interest want to weigh in here?
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well, all that moulting is done and I can say Sinbad had a full moult. Boy, did he look like the moths had been at him. I actually worried! He's beautiful now. Rock's finishing up his moult now, as well. Dying to know why they didn't go at the same time.
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

I've got something else to report, and I'm pleased as punch about it.

Sinbad came for treats today. He travelled about two feet to take nuts from me. It was a snatch and run situation, but he did it four times, and he got a HUGE reward for his effort. For some reason now, we're out of nuts! :lol: Rocky's going to turn INTO a nut after demonstrating all this behaviour.

PLEASE, let's have some applause for Mr. Sinbad Silly Pants - he's come a long way! :D
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's fantastic! Congratulations on your understanding and patience with him, it really pays off! You are a great example to us all :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Thanks! The boys are the ones doing all the work.

Tonight as I went by the cage for last check of the night, Sinbad readily started coming towards me along the bars. We're still out of nuts, but I thought I'd better have *something* for him, so I ran for the peanut butter I've been using to convince the dog to eat her medicine.

Sinbad came in just once and licked the world's runniest peanut butter right off my finger through the bars! What a brave one. Rocky was pleased with the peanut butter, too, but he didn't think much of the towel that followed to clean up the mess.
-MissK