Floor?

Moderator: Mods

Little_Bailey

Floor?

Post by Little_Bailey »

Baileys cage is in our entrance room, we have wooden floors.. .. and he likes to run around and strech his feet on it, he also jumps down the step to get to the lounge, just wondering if its okie to let him wonder around the house? when i see him on the floor i freak out and put him back on his cage.. we have dogs but they never come in, and there is nothing that could harm him! but i was just wondering what everyone else does?

i also want to spend alot more time with him, but dont like him on my shoulder as he wont always get off! how can i spend more time with him without him being on me? thanks mwa :)
berrynice
Member on Probation

Post by berrynice »

I've got a parrot stand that I adjusted to make room for toys and stuff. we have cats that wander through the house so if thegirls are out I shut the door in that room. Apart from Azzy (who's flighted, but has minimal sense of direction) there's only been the occasional thing crashed into or pulled down. Supervision at all times is important.
Jade

Post by Jade »

Chooky cruises the house at his whim. My dogs are outside so there is no real harm. We always know where he is though because he makes so much noise telling us where he is! He likes to just follow me around from room to room - especially on cleaning days. Mostly though, he prefers to travel on my shoulder because basically he is a very lazy bird. I figure if hes happy to do it, then i'll let him. Just make sure you don't have any rat traps or baits or anything out that might attract him, or anything that you would consider bad for him.
elaine

Post by elaine »

Smokey generally plays on and around his cage or playground when I am home, he knows he can come out when I get home and yells out if I don't let him out. His cage and playground have taken over the dining room (which is opposite the lounge). He has only just started coming across to the lounge by himself (i have had him now for3 months making him 5 months old, and we think he comes over for a visit! hehee). He wanders across sees what we are doing then goes home. He still feels more secure in his comfort zone unless he is on my shoulder then I can go anywhere with him
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Our Birds have their own room with wooden floor , full of toys, but they have free access to the rest of the house. They mainly only come from their room out onto their stands during the day, this is not a traffic area of the house, the stands being just outside their bedroom door. But the birds do get adventurous now and Kai will venture around the lounge, and Jordan just comes waltzing up to your feet where ever you are in the house.

We have a call when we let the birds out,, "BIRD ON THE FLOOR" "BIRD ON THE FLOOR". We are all aware of our feathered friends, and they have just enough flight to take off at a half run/fly if they need to. But when visitors are around, especially the childrens friends, birds are not allowed out. Too risky.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Ed Loschi

He has yet to leave his corner empire.

Post by Ed Loschi »

Bebe has the run of the house if he wants.
His empire is in the center of action at my apartment. It has a cage on a stand in a corner with a rope bridge to a playpen on a stand, placed in front of a glass window with good views of the outside. His cage is always open except at bed time. There is a rope for him to climb down to the floor (or get back up to his cage if he fell down).
Three years later he has yet to leave his corner empire of his own free will. If I take him to another part of the apartment he makes a bee line for his home. As of the last two months he has taken a real liking to a certain toy; if I move the toy he follows it wherever it goes.
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Nope, I don't let the ringnecks play on the floor.

They are small, and people arent always aware, and I don't want anyone getting stepped on. Besides, they have wonderful play areas that we have set up to keep them healthy and happy... why take the chance of something nasty being on the floor and them getting into it?

Consider your shoes... you carry germs from outside on them. While most of them are pretty harmless germs, what if you brought in Aspergilliosis? Its a fungus that lives in dirt. Dirt that can fall off your shoes easily.

Dayo loves to play on the floor, but I always clean it well first.. just for his safety.

Athena
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

truly dont think I could stop them and If I had to lock em away in their room and worry that much(meaning dirt on the floor etc), it just wouldn't be worth having them, as far as I am concerned. What about when we take them around with us and out to the park and such as Chamon and many of us do ?

Basically we don't wear our shoes in the house past the laundry out the back anyway.

Jordan is a bit of a worry when he wonders out of the lounge area and up to your feet.. that ! we are working on, keeping him out of any traffic area's of the house.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Jade

Post by Jade »

Trust me, there is no chance of anyone stepping on chook!! You even go within a metre of him and he's calling out hello and wanting to regurgitate on your toes! We have a no shoes in the house rule by the way.