Billie the wonder parrot part 4

Moderator: Mods

AJPeter

Re: Billie the wonder parrot part 4

Post by AJPeter »

Billie looks awful on the mornings, she is going through a moult and look like a rag bag but l was ever so pleased with her today.

I put the blue dragon soft toy on top of her cage and she ignored it all day but after supper, and she reminds me at 5 pm. Two smallpieces of an omelette. She approached this toy and gave him a push, and then retreated. She then burst out into song.

She kept going up to the toy and giving it a push, and she was singing to it and chortling
it was so nice to hear her voice, l hope she will continue tomorrow.

I think she likes getting up early soon after a cuddle and this morning she wanted to eat some greenery first then she went off to poop. Out side the cage on the plastic carpet protector. And she gets a big thank you from me.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay has been singing priddy toons a lot recently, it's definitely spring!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie still looks like a dogs dinner and she has totally ignored Oodles and she has done no singing. She started to paddle in the dog's water bowl (n her cage) and when l took no notice she tried to have a swim in a seed bowl full of water, she would not come on my hand so l offered her a perch and we went into the bath room where she flew to the clothes horse and sat there waiting for something to happen.

She turned up side down and went down three rungs but when l turned on the water she got a skin full and turned right way up. What with the extra spray from me she got very wet. But when l turned everything off she wanted to sit under the bathroom heater, but it got very hot so l turned that off too. I leant the clothes towards me and she had to step up on my shoulder but when l turned to open the door she flew back to the clothes horse, so l had use a perch to take her back to the LR.

This evening l stood patting Oodle on the head and this ignighted a flame of jealousy in harded Hananhas heart and she charged and threw Oodles down and dived down daring me to rescue him and lose a finger, but when her back was turned l enticed him out with a a promise of a hug and she was very annoyed and would not even look at me but at bed time she made up and wanted to go bed l did not dare to put Oodles back.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Well, Billie has certainly got you well sussed!, Sanjay doesnt have an ounce of jealousy in his whole body. We dont have a name for his sqeaky toy, although Im sure he could think of one if he wanted.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Do you leave Squeaky in Sanjay's cage over night? Billie has totally ignored Oodles today, except when l went to take him out she put up a bit of a fuss. This morning l went to take a fir cone off the string and she tried to bite me. I said in no uncertain terms "What do you think you are doing? She backed off with some surprise on her face she is not used to being told off!

The poor thing wanted to get to the top of the cage to poop, but had to let it go before she got there, all over the cage! She had egg biscuit instead of omelette today, as l thought her poop looked a little eggy, and tomorrow she will only get one small piece of omelette, l might give Oodles a small piece.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Coo, you eat a lot of egg, don't you?. No, If I left the chipmunk over night it would be ripped to shreds. This morning there was a blackbird singing outside, we both enjoyed it very muchly, but the nightingale is our favourite.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Last year Billie responded to the bird calls from the garden and when we used to sit out in the sun she got all excited if a bird called her but so far this year the windows have been tightly closed and she has not heard any calls from the garden.

I quiet like an omelette, l buy them from ASDA already cooked 85p each frozen. Its Biile who eats the egg biscuit not me.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I took her tray out to clean and there was a big hairy spider, l showed Billie she took one look and retreated to the top of the cage, l think she more frightend than l was, l had to fish it out on a piece of paper in the bath room.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

"If you want to live and thrive, let a spider run alive", I used to be an arachnophobe, until I accidentally touched a spider, now I can put them outside. Buzzing things put the wind up Sanjay, it's an inbuilt instinct in all creatures, except the buzzing thing, I think. There is a local wild bird who can mimic Sanjay perfectly!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

My aunt had a parrot and it was on the first floor of a big house in Finsbury and when any one rang the front door bell it would shout "No milk today Thank you" and the milkman thought it was my aunt!

Wasps really scare Billie we had a nest somewhere near by but a neighbour burnt them out
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have had the best day ever with Billie, she wanted another shower this morning, one yesterday and now one today, well it was a quick one afterwards l gave her a squirt from Johnson's Superpreen she hated it so to make up a gave her a couple of squirts of Aloe Vera l keep in the fridge.

Then l started to play the organ and she sang along too, it was great and for the first time in 18 months she said Hallo three times, shortly after l got her she said hallo twice that was in August 2013 and then nothing until this morning! I was ever so pleased.

She was very quiet after l returned from a short walk. She has gone off the fir cone and seeds, so tomorrow l must look for some thing new to keep her amused. She is off pomegranites too, l shall have to look for something to hang up in its place, l am thinking of a grapefruit.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Does she like kiwi fruit? Sanjay likes to bore through them, to get to the seeds. Yes, just when you think they've forgotten their humanese they blurt something out.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Coo, there's a picture of Sanjays palace on page ten of the March issue of Parrots magazine!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It's big enough for ten Sanjay's has he thought about taking in a lodger? I like the seed catchers and wheels.

Went shopping this mornin g to ASDA they have a habit of hanging bags on the checloit counted and things you have bought slip underneath, happened to me today. I had bought some cheese but when l got home l could find it. So htis afternoon a ltrudged bacj and discovered the shelve was full, surely they did not fill up for one or was that the one l bought back on the shelf?

This morning l left Oodles on her cage which l always leave open when l got back Oodles was still there he had not moved and she was very pleased to see me but when l dashed out again this afternoon l left her closed up as l did not know how long l would be but in the end l realized it would have been two inches.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

It's big enough for him to fly around inside, that's the main thing. It's annoying when you have to go back to a shop, but it's infuriating when you unpack your groceries and realise something you bought is missing.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Take it on the chin, grin like mad and go back and buy it again is my policy,

Billie was talking to OOdles today it sounded like "Get up! Get up!" No omelette today l gave her some cheese, but she was not keen. She had a shower today and get very wet. l am not sure that all these showers are doing her any good she has finished moulting but shrugs her shoulders as if she still itches. Her feathers used to lie flat but they are very coarse, l suppose they will get better, I must weigh her soon.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

They are probably cuticles, like umbrella covers, they pick them off and voila! There's a brand new feather. She probably itches where the new feathers are growing in, so keep using glycerin and rosewater, and aloe, to cool and soothe. Is she having "Feather Up"?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Yes she swears by Feather up, l think 7.30 am is too early for her, she just sat there when l took the covers came off. She is going to bed at 5 pm ish so she is only just getting 14 and half hours sleep
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Officially, Sanjay gets the prescribed 12 hours, 8am to 20.00 hrs, I say officially, because I can hear noshing sounds from behind the cover,
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I cannot sleep in the same room as Billie she wakes me up when she moves around so l sleep in the bed room (naturally) and she sleep in the LR.

I weighed her today, l offered her a half nelson if she was good but said if l tried that on she would give me a chinese burn, so l told her in no uncertain terms that if she did l would give her a dead leg, but when it came to the weigh in l had to towel her as she chickened out, she struggled so much l could not work out which end l was holding until her head popped out and she bit me.

I managaed to get her on the scales and then scales decided to play the goat and switch off so l had to lift her up switch the scales back and put her down carefully removing the towel but not before she got another bite in and then scales decided to take the biscuit by not settling down, they do this when the batterery is low or the M/W is on.

I am sick and tired of buying scales that do not work so l thought l would get a decent set from Northern Parrots but they just have put the price up to £71!!!!! No way hosea!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Is it absolutely necessary to weigh her? Is it worth the stress to you both?. I have never weighed Sanjay, I just don't see the point.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I give her too much too eat and l sometimes l think she is over weight, besides a check on her weight every month will pin point health problems, and besides l think she sees it as a game/
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

My scales are behaving as they should and l cannot explain why they went haywire, how ever yesterday l manged to get her weight before they went loco
it was 252 grams that is a drop of 7 grams since Feb. Good.

Today we had omelette, and she enjoyed a foot toy of millet spray, she has has been eating a lot of fruit recently but is still losing feathers a wing one today

She does enjoy a play bed time play where l use on of the blankets to cover her and she tries to bite my fingers, I had to ask her "We are playing aren't we?"
"Sure." She said.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I don't think birds overeat, especially hormonal ones, I understood they only eat what they want, and it has to be a considerable amount due to their metabolism. Quite simply, she would not accept food if she didn't need it. In Sanjays case he is constantly on the go, and when I stroke him, he hasn't an ounce of fat anywhere. The breast area is the giveaway. Feisty little madam, your Billie, isn't she?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay threw a strop today, totally out of character, I was putting his fresh food in situ, when he came down from the chandelier like a squawking stuka, divebomb, pecked my finger then flew off again, wot the ??? The peck wasn't even a peck really, it certainly didn't hurt, and definitely didn't bleed. I have absolutely No idea, I can only speculate I wasn't doing things quickly enough for him.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Bad hair day.

I got bitten this evening when we played the blanket game, l knew some one would get hurt and it was me, l showed her the blood but l saw her licking her lips.

My alarm clock battery decided to go flat this morning just when l needed to get up early but my downstairs neighbour came to the rescure by banging around at 7.15 am!

Life is good
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

You must spend a fortune on Elastoplast. And you say life is good? Oy vey!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I am fortunate that l am not a bleeder and although Billie draws blood it quickly stop and l do not need elastoplast.

Today we tried out a new foot toy a stick of carrot wrapped in paper, she picked all the paper of it and then had a chew. She still has a lot of millet spray left over so l did not think a foot toy of millet spray would do, about 4 pm she has an end of an end of a omelette but since l am the one who eats most it and wanting to avoid being egg bound she had to make do with Shaw's egg biscuit.

She dropped one of her tail feather today so maybe we are coming to the end of the moult. she had a lovely shower in my bathroom this morning.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjays tail feathers grow back very very quickly. He has a green plastic millet holder, so he has to forage for it. I like to grow a big pot of chilli peppers, I sowed the seeds in January and the plant is flourishing, organic and totally fresh, he loves to hold them and nibble them. There's a variety called "volcano" but I haven't sourced a supplier as yet
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I gave Billie some tinned sardines once but her beak stank of fish for days after so she can fish if she wants any more, but poor old Sanjay chilli pepper will blow him up no wonder he can only hold them. Billie does not like peppers full stop.

Shopping today so the larder is filled with new things for her to try, l bought some baby figs
but she igmnored them even when l cut one in half it only got a peck, she quite likes the orange sharon fruit l bought, she was chewing on the asparagas stalks and found it hard going until l showed her the heads were better. She prefers tangerines to oranges so l bought some of each, some blackberries those are for tomorrow.

It was so nice this afternoon we went out to sit in the garden, she was crowing with excitemnt, she loves it when neighbours come up and say hallo, but the wind was cold so we had to come back in.

She has nearly finished the moult but l will continue with "Feather up" and extra vitiamins for awile yet.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay adores chilli peppers, he has them every day, but doesn't like Sharon fruit. Asparagus goes down the little red chute very nicely. I shop tomorrow for the market and the Asian stall there is usually something he likes and they sell the big rugby ball type of papaya.He gets a thick slice in his bowl, alternate days with a half galia melon. We shared cooked chicken slices today, I will buy him a goose egg tomorrow, if the egg stall has any otherwise it will be duck egg.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Does Sanjay get peppers every day?

Does he get a whole goose egg?

Billie gets two corners of an omelette on four days and Shaw's egg biscuit on off days.

Bille pulled Oodles off his perch and he land up on the cage floor, l went to rescue him but Billie lunged at me l only just got my hand out with Oodles in time, later l was putting some asparagus on the cage and she lunged again this time she made contact and bit my knuckle, l shut her in until she said sorry, but she totally ignorred me, but after 20 mins l let her out with a warning "Do that again and l will give you to the rag and bone man." She was very contrite and allowed me to scratch her neck.

She had a lovely shower today in my bath room with plenty of misting on top. she is beginning to look well groomed again.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

He certainly does!, and he shares Billies penchant for satsumas. I got him some Russet apples, for a change,he usually has Braeburn or Pink Lady. The Bitter Melon are huge. made his eyes boggle when I hung one up, anyway, no more divebombs since, he is his usual amiable and affable self. :lol:
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie has become very possessive of her cage and wants to bite my hand if I go near her she has been eating cuttle fish bone l wonder if this is a prelude to egg laying?

We shall have to wait and see.

I moved her seed bowl, which has annoyed her and also l brought up all the food bowls from the floor of the cage, I dashed out today and bought some millet spray and more Kaytee cockartiel pellet mix which she quite likes. I mix it all up in the seed bowl, the first to go in are charcoal and oyster shell and she likes to inspect each ingredient as it goes in, she does not want to disappoint me so she moves the charcoal and oyster shell around.

Then the Kaytee and she inspects that very closely, then her seeds there are certain seeds she picks out, then a couple of drops of vitamins and finally Feather up. She likes a portoin of millet spray wrapped up in paper as a foot toy.

She does not like melon, has gone off pomegranites, and blackberries, but l just put it all in her cage and let her eat what she wants.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay had a blonde moment today, he decided to chew through a hanging toy whilst He was hanging on it upside down, the result was, toy crashed to the cage floor and he was left clinging to the ceiling bars, wondering "wot the ???". Ah well, I bet he does it again one day ......
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It has been friday 13th for Billie too, she was openning her beak wide l could see down her gullet, l thought something was wrong with her and but as she has down this before and survived l was not too worried, but l came to the conclusion she was too hot, it was 77 f in my LR l like it hot.

She had a lot of exercise today, every time l went to the LR door and opened it she flew to my shoulder, and l took her back to her cage and she hopped on, this happened a dozen times and more. She also told me she wanted a shower this morning and with misting she was nicely wet.

No omelette today so she had to settle for Shaw's egg biscuit. I had some slices of fruit loaf to keep me going.

I bought Bille a big tubular bell but she is not keen on it she does like to look at her reflection in it. She also has a small bell but she never rings it. I do not know why l bother.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay has loved bells since he was a chickster the tubular bell is his favourite she might change her mind, Sanjay .now likes things he wasn't keen on before. No drama today he's been as good as gold which was great because I had to go to the hair salon. My daughter was born on Friday 13th it is when the Knights Templar were put to death, that is why it's considered unlucky, daft!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Parrots is out, some interesting articles. Won't spoil the susprise.

The local coucnil have sent me a demand to pay council tax and it has left me upset strange to say Billis is upset too she has been sitting on the bottom of her cage, l had to coax her out by waving Oodles at the top this got her going!

We did not sleep too well last night the local town drunks had a party downstairs and were arguing about a can of beer at 4 am! I use ear plugs wax ones to muffle the sound but Billie has to cope in other ways. She has not dropped any more feathers but she has pin feathers on her head, and l cannot stroke her and she is still itchy. She had a nice shower this morning and lots of misting with what ever and some aloe vera.

Good old Sanjay.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

The trouble is, if we report anti social behaviour, we are sent reams of "log sheets" and told we have to log events for several Weeks before anything can be done, and then there's "mediation" where we are expected to "kiss and make up". Be careful of ear plugs, when I used them I ended up with Labyrinthitis, and it goes on for Weeks.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I got it.

Today l banged the doors played my organ loudly shouted at Billie, give them hell is my motto, now it is their turn
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

It's a pity we don't have metal dustbins anymore, you could play the "cymbals" outside their door when they are sleeping it off. Poor Billie, did she really deserve being shouted at?, or was she in on it?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Poor Billie my foot,

We play at bed time a bit of rough housing but she does not understand my fingers are soft and her beak hard, and when she want to play in the moring well she gets shouted at.

She tells me when she wants a shower, or a treat. l was looking at her beak this morning and was jolly pleased to see the red outer skin has grown lower.

The neighbour has been walking on eggs today although one of her boy frieds who has an all night taxi dropped by at 5 am and tapped on her window some people just do not show any comnsideration for others. But l had a good nightssleep.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Poor Billie my foot,

We play at bed time a bit of rough housing but she does not understand my fingers are soft and her beak hard, and when she want to play in the moring well she gets shouted at.

She tells me when she wants a shower, or a treat. l was looking at her beak this morning and was jolly pleased to see the red outer skin has grown lower.

The neighbour has been walking on eggs today although one of her boy frieds who has an all night taxi dropped by at 5 am and tapped on her window some people just do not show any consideration for others. But l had a good nights sleep.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I read you the first time. I am on Amitriptyline at bedtime, because I suffer from PTSD, (I served in Belfast), so I sleep like a baby, the neighbours could hold an all night rave and I wouldn't hear them, but before they got my medication right a mouse breaking wind would have woken me. No wonder Billie munches on you if you play rough!, Sanjay is a gentle sensitive little soul, he only really gets stroppy with his toys. Yes, he lets me know when he wants a shower, a treat, and when he wants his night time cover. If I ask him if he's ok, he opens his beak and makes a little noise, as if to say "yes". The same happens when I come home, and ask him if he's been good. He still makes a little noise like "thank you" when he gets his fresh rations, and I've always automatically said "you're welcome", we make a great double act sometimes.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I was a bit worried that Billie had PTSD but she has not which was good. I used to take sleepeers Zimovane but my Doctor (New) would not prescribe them and l had to go through cold turkey until l could sleep with out them now it takes two alarm clocks to wake me, one has a nice chime but the other is very rude and has a bell it even wakes the down stairs neighbour.

When Billie tries to bite my fingers in the morning l say "Naughty!" and she looks at as if butter would not melt in her mouth, she has such beautiful eyes my heart melts when she flutters her eye lashes at me.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Fortunately, animals tend to recover from trauma better than humans. Sanjay demolished an entire cuttlefish bone this afternoon!, just a little pile of powder on his perch now. Coo! Has Billie got eyelashes?, I can't see Sanjays, his eyes are ubiquitous, and he can see through the back of his head, he doesn't miss a trick!, I swear he even sleeps with one eye open.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

You will have to stop using these big words, ubigquitous does that mean he can see under water? The last time Bille polished off a whole cuttle fish bone she laid an egg, l am beginning to worry about ms Sanjay.

Billie does not like being looked at, l was thinking of something else and she went and sat at the bottomof the cage, she puts up with Oodles sitting on her cage but when he flies in (He is a stuffed dragon, aren't they all?) she puts up quite a shin dig.

I bought some chicken breast today, l gave her a piece but she spat it out so l put it into her bowl. You would think the end of world had come, talk about chickey lickey, so l took it out.

I told her tonight that the blanket game is off because she is too rough but she looked at me and l agreed to give it another go and when ever my fingers got near her beak she only mouthed them.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Ubiquitous means everywhere, and he can see under ths shower, (ahem). Sanjay loves a piece of chicken, duck, and goose. (s) he has nowhere to lay eggs, never goes anywhere near the floor of the cage, so I think he was just in a demolishing frame of mind. He does the same when I give him big bunches of coriander or dill, it gets ripped to shreds.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie had a shower today and she climbed down the clothes horse first time this year, l have a hand spray that pushes onto the sink taps but she is really is scared of this.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Those hand spray jobbies can be quite fierce, and I can add glycerin and rosewater to a spray bottle. I haven't been presented with any hen fruit I'm pleased to say.