Is it Bluffing??!!

Moderator: Mods

Mayyad

Is it Bluffing??!!

Post by Mayyad »

Hi all,

I had my first IRN last week, he is 3 months old as the breeder said to me, first two days was very scared of me until before yesterday he just started approaching me and eat from my hand, i was very happy, and i had to change something inside the cage he didn't move at all like he is feeling secure, and i inserted my finger inside the cage so he came to my finger and bit my finger like he is tasting it which i considered as a positive sign.
But yesterday i tried to feed him from my hand as i did the day before , he just went away and refuses to eat until i go away from the cage, i repeated it all the day but he is only getting more scared of me, today i approach him and he just go as far as possible and if i inserted my hand into the cage he will start yelling and go crazy.

Is it bluffing? or something else happened to him making him lose the trust?

Can anybody help please
Wessel Gordon

Re: Is it Bluffing??!!

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Mayyad

I think the bird is more insecure at the moment. You have to consider you only have had him/her for a week so it's still likely going through an adjustment period.

If it was bluffing (which I personally think he/she is a bit young for) your finger wouldn't leave the cage without bleeding.

Just stick to your current routine (without putting your hand/finger in his/her cage unless absolutely necessary for awhile) and the bird should settle down eventually.

Regards,

Wessel
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

A couple things I noticed with my aviary raised bird are; progress at making friends wasnt a smooth line, it was 2 steps forwards and one back some of the time. She would take a treat from me happily and later in the day would only take treats that I left in the dish. There is nothing wrong with leaving treats in the dish instead of getting the bird to take them from your hand, it still builds a positive association. They help themselves to treats when they are ready.

The other thing is don't put your hands in the parrots cage without an invitation. A lot of them don't like it!

Don't get caught up in the idea of bluffing, just assess every interaction on what it is. Take into account what happens before an adverse reaction and you quickly least how to avoid them. Bluffing is a label and labels aren't helpful. Neither of my irns have 'bluffed' but they do let me know if I've done something to pi$$ them off! They are very good communicators.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I think a lot of this "bluffing" question would be cleared up if we renamed "bluffing" to "transitory developmental attack phase".
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

MissK wrote:I think a lot of this "bluffing" question would be cleared up if we renamed "bluffing" to "transitory developmental attack phase".
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

or how about "teenage tantrums"?
Kikithekiwi

Post by Kikithekiwi »

This happened to kiki. same age. My thought was it was memory and just forgetting that im trustworthy. I got really frustrated but gave him space for a week and he is an angel. Im still taming him to completepy trust me but he is good. Give him time i promise u will get progress.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

My fids have VERY long memories :wink:
I don't know that they necessarily forget, but they pick up on tiny nuances that you are not even aware that you are putting out. They are so in tune with body language since that's what their instincts go by. You have a headache? They notice. And respond (mine do, anyway) with lots of LOUD concern at my discomfort. If you are stressed out about something, they can tell by your body language and it distresses them and they respond accordingly.
I don't call it bluffing. I call it the "oh, did you think I was going to come along quietly without raising a fuss? You don't know me as well as you think you do!" stage.
Gotta love the little curtain climbers :)
~Dana