Hi!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

FlyGirl

Hi!

Post by FlyGirl »

Hi folks :)

Thought I'd drop a post to introduce myself. I'm 35 and in Brisbane, Aus. I have two dogs, a cat, three chooks and a fish called Tony.
This is my baby, Hitch. He (I say he, but I don't really know yet.) is a year old on the 24th of last month. He was hand raised by the breeder and I visited him lots to help and bond with him early - then he came home just before he was weaned so that I could spoon feed him for the last week or so and bond with him some more.
I'd spent plenty of time with him roaming free and handled him a lot but he still seemed sort of 'standoffish' - I'd open his cage and let him climb to the top and coax him onto my hands with treats and things and he'd sit on my shoulder as I pottered about. But he was still kinda reluctant and didn't really seem to be enjoying company. It was kinda sad. :(
Then last month I got him a big open play gym and everything changed! :D
I take him out of his cage in the morning and he spends the whole day on or around it - he glides down to the floor sometimes and then climbs back up the wall to get back on it. I've been making a point of talking to him on it as I do my housework and I frequently walk past it, pick him up and talk to him and kiss him then put him back throughout the day. Being with him for so much time has made all the difference.
Now instead of running away from my hand when I open his cage, he runs to the door and reaches out for me. He comes towards me when he sees me walking past, wanting to be picked up. And when he's on the ground, from anywhere in the room I can bend down and hold out my finger and he'll come to it.
I'm just thrilled! :) And so much in love with him.

My family thinks I'm crazy and they don't understand.. So I came looking for other crazy bird people.
Howdy! :)
Attachments
hitch1.jpg
hitch1.jpg (95.36 KiB) Viewed 853 times
Wessel Gordon

Re: Hi!

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi Flygirl

Welcome to the forum.

Since you're looking for bird-crazy (or crazy because of your love for birds) people you've come to the right place.

Regards,

Wessel
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I had a gold fish named Tony once but l gave him away. I had three gerbils l named them Tom, **** (Richard) and Harry. I also had a breeding pair Rattus Norvecus but they did not have names. However welcome to the forum today l have an Alexandrine hen named Billie after Billie Haliday the jazz singer.
FlyGirl

Post by FlyGirl »

Hi guys :) Thanks for the welcome.

I looove the look of alexandrines. :) When I was looking to buy a parrot I was tossing up between an IRN and an alexandrine. I naively chose IRN because I thought a smaller parrot would make less mess. (Ha!) .. That, and there just happened to be a really loving IRN breeder just down the road who was happy to give me all the advice I could need.