New Cage for Sapphire

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

New Cage for Sapphire

Post by InTheAir »

Sapphires new home arrived! I'm pretty happy with it. It had a little damage from shipping, mostly to the seed skirt and dowel perches, which I won't be using anyway. The main complaint I have is there were a lot of sharp burrs in the powdercoat which I had to remove. I guess you get what you pay for...

It is big enough that she doesn't mind Nila hanging out in there with her sometimes.

Donovan

Re: New Cage for Sapphire

Post by Donovan »

wow.. have fun cleaning that monster haha

are you happy with the perch arrangement?.. i have found that it takes me a while to get everything just right..... ya know.. clear from bombardment
MissK

Post by MissK »

WOAH, looks *GREAT*! I'm really jealous of the height. Dimensions?
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Donovan, I've already moved several perches around and she only moved in yesterday. I had to harvest half a forest to furnish it. It's easy to clean with the big door and my head is nowhere near hitting the roof if I stand in it when the grate is removed. It was harder to clean her last cage as I don't fit through the door.

Missk, you will have to translate it to American yourself as we are metric :lol: Image

We have named it Behemoth.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Donovan, Sapphire just made me move some perches again around before bed! She wanted to sleep basically over a food dish, since there was no perch there she elected to sleep on the chain of a toy. She has totally rejected where I think her sleepy perch should be on the back wall. We compromised and I added a perch above the door for sleepies. It was dark so I'm not sure if there is anything in the bomb zone... I guess I'll find out in the morning!
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Wow it is gorgeous.
MissK

Post by MissK »

RIGHT on that!
cm/inch translation..... Of course I rounded my inches, and so an entire cm could be lost one way or the other.

110 cm = 43 inches
63 cm = 25 inches
62 cm = 24 inches
125 cm = 49 inches

For reference, MissK = 51 inches; dunno about InTheAir......
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Claire, Neko has done that too.. i had to put him a perch in the top corner so he'd stop trying to sleep while holding on to the side of the cage.. unfortunately this spot is right over the food bowl.. so at bed time i've learned to just remove the food bowl.. seems to be working
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm looking forward to checking out the new cage. Out of interest, could you fit it through a sliding door?

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Missk, the grates have to be removed if you want to put humans in there. Redzone is about 5f 7 I think.

Ellie, it looks like it would fit to me...
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

lol claire that must have been expensive.. are you rich or something? or neglecting bills?.. that's a great cage. It's about half the size of my outdoor aviary.. very impressive.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

It was less than $400 inc freight. I'm happy to spend that so I can leave Sapphire at home for a few hours without feeling guilty about her being trapped in a little box. I am hoping sapphire will be able to use it for years, so it really was cheap. I don't mind eating brown rice and vegetable scraps the birds reject for every meal the next 3 months...
Anyway I didn't pay for all of it, Sapphire's grandmas put in some for my birthday present :D
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Does the seed skirt come on and off easily?

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

ellieelectrons wrote:Does the seed skirt come on and off easily?

Ellie.
I have no idea. We assembled the cage without it, every time I look at seed skirts I envision grazed shins. I think you are meant to put it on last... Not sure as the instructions didn't even show where half the integeral parts go :lol:
I gave the seedskirts to Dave to use as gutter for a new storage shelf he built outside at work :mrgreen:
Melika

Post by Melika »

Fantastic cage! I love how almost all the bars are horizontal for maximum climbing. Good choice!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Dave got Nila a cage to match Sapphires! :D :D :D
And now we have enough room in our dining room for one of the play gyms too! Everyone is happy now :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Fantastic!
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Has it arrived??
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Ellie, it arrived yesterday! We put it together (with help from Nila) last night and he's installed. It's looking a bit barren though. If you aren't doing anything on Monday we will be perch and swing building, you're welcome to join us.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

If I can, I'd love to come along. What time? I've got a few things I'll have to get done before then if I'm going to be able to make it.

Ellie.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Phew round inches l have only ever seen square inches, question how do you open the cupboards and washing machine with that thing there? Looks like you could fit the whole of Manhatton in there too.