I need Help

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

bigsteveo

I need Help

Post by bigsteveo »

Hi[quote][/quote]
Hi allí have a loud ring neck, he starts early and is upsetting the man next door, any ideas. the shire i am in have sent me a letter saying i can be fined $250 at first and $500 for every other complaint he makes, i think i need to sell my bird.
ellieelectrons

Re: I need Help

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Steve

Does your bird make any sounds that aren't too loud and are acceptable? You can start by rewarding your bird when s/he makes acceptable sounds. Take a look at this article for more information on this approach.
http://behaviorworks.org/files/s-files/ ... eaming.pdf

Ellie.
bigsteveo

Post by bigsteveo »

thank you will have a look.
MissK

Post by MissK »

You can also speak to the man and apologize that your bird is noisy, explain you are trying to train it, and ask his patience. At that time you can find out what bothers him most so you can try to address it. For example, if he tells you the bird wakes him half an hour before he wants to be up, then right away you have a chance to work on the most important thing first. If my neighbor made a complaint like that I might respond that I will immediately start having the bird in a sleep cage in the basement, where sound would not carry so well first thing in the morning. Just an example.

As someone who is complaining, he needs to see you as a person who is nice and who is concerned about your bird being disruptive, and eager to remedy the situation. He needs you to hear his complaint and acknowledge your responsibility. He needs to hear you are implementing a plan to remedy the situation. (So, not a good time to throw up your hands and say you don't know how to proceed - better to have a plan ready to tell him.) He might be a nasty person or he might just be feeling victimized. Depending on how you get along he might even appreciate meeting your bird, especially if the bird has any people pleasing skills.

Note, I don't think it really works that well, but you could try letting the bird sleep under a cover, or next to your bed so he doesn't have to call for you *as much*. Good luck and let us know how this goes along.
-MissK
bigsteveo

Post by bigsteveo »

thanks for your response, did try talking to him, no good. I have put a heavy large rug over him and i thought things were going good he stoprd be noisey early. this morning i uncovered him at 8.15am and he had made no noise before that.
I AM TRYING
Steve :
MissK

Post by MissK »

That's a very encouraging step, seeing a positive result with covering. I'm sure you *are* trying, and trying everything you can think of. One of my Ringnecks and my Linnie make a lot of noise in the morning, and if I had someone complaining about them I would be going nuts over it. Fortunately, one neighbor is deaf and the other is very cool. Keep us posted on how it's going.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

wow that sucks.. the birds are supposed to make lots of noise and you're in a position to have to discourage it.

i'd move!