Taking Over The World??

Moderator: Mods

MissK

Taking Over The World??

Post by MissK »

Ellieelectrons has recently posted a link to a video on IRN in London. It inspired a question for me. I wish I could post the link but I'm using a new computer with "tabs" instead of "windows" and I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe I have too much time on my hands.... Here's the question:

Given that the IRN has the most extensive natural range among parrots, and is so successful adapting to new territories, might it be worth consideration that merely the continued expansion of the natural population could *eventually* push the IRN to colonize Europe on it's own?

It's an honest question. I don't know enough of the natural attributes of the land to determine if the natural range of the IRN is contained by desert or mountains, for example. I have heard they live in the Himalayas, but I cannot imagine they go all the way up. Those mountains would seem to be a natural barrier preventing colonization of China, for instance, but there is space to the South of the Himalayas where IRN might slip by. I think they would love China. If they are really that successful as a species, and it seems that they are, I would suspect they would not be contained as long as the habitat were reasonably supportive.

I am talking about more time than our lives, of course. One internet site I cruised suggested modern birds evolved from 24 million years ago and India connected between 38 and 10 million years ago. Possibly the reason IRN have not moved out farther is that they just need more time.

Thoughts?
-MissK
InTheAir

Re: Taking Over The World??

Post by InTheAir »

I am fairly sure Nila and Sapphire are bent on world domination, but I think it may just be for their personal amusement rather than the species game plan. :lol:

I was reading a page last night that said they have extended their range in india and Pakistan.
As the climate changes and farming changes the environment and resources a lot of different species seem to either make or break. the land of oz parrots doco (free on you tube) has a bit on a couple species of cockatoos that have extended their range and expanded their numbers due to farming. IRNs also seem to thrive in such situations.

According to a couple websites I've seen there have been sightings in China, I haven't found any further details though.
Here's one http://interface.creative.auckland.ac.n ... s=&lang=SC

Just an off topic note about the site I linked, I checked out the top 100 invasive species list they made and they have not added homo sapiens... It seems a rather major oversight to me.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Thanks for the link. I would be interested to know if they are seen in China in a location likely to be naturally accessed or if they are remotely located in a way to suggest human importation. Either way, from some pictures I've seen of Chinese jungle, they must be thrilled.

Anyone in China able to talk about this?
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm not getting a lot of luck searching, I think a knowledge of geography would help. http://www.cabi.org/isc/mobile/datasheet/45158 is interesting.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I don't know about China, but one Sunday morning on a TV programme, it showed a colony of IRN's who have taken up residence at a cricket ground here in the UK. There were dozens!, popping out of hollow tree trunks etc, the local people love them and make sure there is plenty of food etc available. It was a joy to watch.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I'm sorry if you don't get it lol
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Donovan wrote:Image

I'm sorry if you don't get it lol
I love it!
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darn...I am never going to get away again. House, yard be damned!
Mary
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/wildlife-manag ... eck-parrot

Indian Ringneck Parrot (Psittacula krameri)

Date Published: April 2011

Assessment Summary

......The behavioural flexibility of the species, its generalist feeding ecology and its ability to withstand temperate climatic conditions have contributed to the successful establishment of feral populations in many countries.

The Indian ringneck parrot is the most widely introduced parrot in the world, with populations established on five continents. Only Australia and Antarctica remain uncolonized, although in Western Australia in 2005-2007 several Indian ringneck parrots were removed from the wild that were thought to have survived in the wild for at least four years. [Likley relatives of Nila and Sapphire I am sure. :wink: ] Self-sustaining feral populations of Indian ringneck parrot occur in Europe, the United States, the Middle East, Japan, Singapore and several island groups including the Hawaiian, Canary, Andaman and Maldive islands....
Mary
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nah, they wouldn't be related to Sapphire, you'd be able to tell her relatives straight away because they would be doing something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMLpPoOeays&app=desktop
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

They're quite abundant here in Dubai . It always amazes me to see them thriving even during these summer months when the temperature can go above 50 degrees. We also have quite a few Alexandrine's .
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

MissK what makes a dishonest question? Have you been eating too much bird seed recently? Maybe IRN are finding it too easy over here, it makes you wonder how they avoid the cats.
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

AJPeter - want to go rob a bank?

Claire - I thought you were going to have a video of pool sharks and betting, or birds drinking beer (I DO NOT think birds drinking beer is ok).
Nah, they wouldn't be related to Sapphire, you'd be able to tell her relatives straight away because they would be doing something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMLpPoOeays&app=desktop
So, you have set yourself...er...your birds up. I will be expecting much more complicated tricks in the future. :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak6omNRd6-g
Mary
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Let's Mary, l hear food banks are easy.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Here's some Tokyo pics http://www.wired.com/2014/09/yoshinori- ... o-parrots/
I like the one of them roosting in a tree. It looks like xmas :lol:
MissK

Post by MissK »

I like it too. Has me thinking ahead to bird safe Christmas tree options for my house. Wonder what they are? It would be massively cool to get my flock in a Christmas photo, maybe even worth the work it would be to round up the Budgies afterwards....... Imagine my eyes spinning like a hypnosis wheel at this thought..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF7bNe1il0M
-MissK