Sapphire wonder-bird does some tricks!

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

Sapphire wonder-bird does some tricks!

Post by InTheAir »

Sapphire has found some trick training she likes, agility!
Her favourite part is going under the fabric, but she's pretty enthusiastic about the whole course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giRrJB05BF0

Innit she a clever poppet?!
MissK

Re: Sapphire wonder-bird does some tricks!

Post by MissK »

OMG, so cute!

Good Girl!
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Sapphire is so intelligent. Her voice is so cute.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

[quote="GeveZe"Sapphire is so intelligent. Her voice is so cute.[/quote]
Hehe the voice in the background is Nila, who was on my boyfriends shoulder.

Missk, she is a cute... little monster! :wink:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

That's fantastic Claire. Well done!

Ellie.
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Then, Nila's voice is so cute :D
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Hi Claire - I have not been around in along time and am only having a quick peek. That is so great!
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

Google RINGNECK AGILITY YOU TUBE and find Nila's weave poles.........

:D
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

We missed you! I hope you and flockily are well!

Sapphire is now the weave pole master, she is faster than superman.
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

That is great Claire! I did watch a lot of videos, but I think you also have a small billiard table? I want to be your neighbour! Yes, all is well thank-you. Skye still plucks and I am trying a couple more things. But honestly, he seems quite happy so I just have to accept him as beautiful the way he is. Oh and MissK - you wrote on another post - it was regarding a pruning toy - to hope the plucker plucks someone else's feathers - uh uh - two days ago Skye plucked a small bald spot on the top of my sun conure's head. :o :cry: That better NOT continue or I know of a ringneck who will be seeing less of his buddy - separate cages at night. That is when the plucking occurs. :? He has stuff in there to keep him busy and food. I have been leaving the cage door open so when he wakes up he can leave as soon as he wants and forage. Obviously, it isn't helping. Maybe we'll all try the chamomile tea? I'll try and drop in soon. Miss you guys!
Mary
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's a real bummer! Do you get up at the same time as him? Maybe you could distract him by some early morning training?
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Claire - I am awake before he is. I am not sure what time of night he actually plucks. I guess I would have to set up an overnight video camera. I am working with him. Early morning, noon, and early evening. He likes the attention, but now .... if Sunny comes near me, Skye gives him the evil eye and Sunny goes away. If Sunny comes to me first, Skye comes over and shoos him away or yesterday the rotten bird pulled a feather off Sunny's head!!!!! :evil: Skye has never acted hormonal toward me etc. The seminar with Barbara H. is the first week of October. I guess I take Skye after all and hope she will answer some questions about plucking and not just training. I keep reading everything I can find and I have a couple more ideas, but I may start to collar him at night and Sunny is going to have to be locked in a separate cage but kept beside Skye while the 'sleep.' I will use one blanket to cover them both so that it works like a divided cage.
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

Not really wanting to hijack this thread, but..... I lashed two identical cages together so they share a wall, so the Budgies could be gender segregated and still feel like a flock. It's working great. They even feed each other through the bars, and it's easy because I set some perches to go through the wall as if it is really one big cage. Possibly, if toes are not an issue, this sort of thing could work for your birds.

And now back to the Clever Poppet......
-MissK
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Thanks MissK. That is what I meant but without all the detail. :wink: Toes have never been an issue. I sure hope it remains that way. I will eventually - hopefully sooner rather than later - post "Skye's story" in the Feather Plucking thread so we longer 'tarnish' Sapphire's brilliance. :lol:
Mary
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nothing can tarnish the brilliance of my birds. :lol: :lol:
I hope bh has some suggestions for you, Mary.

So, Sapphire now waves on command which she learnt purely through watching Nila and plays connect 4 by herself. She gets the counters out when she runs out and plays again. I don't even have to reward her or pay attention, she just zones into it. She puts sunflower seeds in her piggy bank too.
She also learnt that doing little flips on her perch when she is in her cage, gets my attention when I am cooking (well, to get a share of what i am cooking really).
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

What do you mean 'little flips?' Got video? That is cute Sapphire plays Connect Four and puts seeds in the piggy bank on her own. Obviously, it lets you know your methods aren't stressing the birds and they enjoy what they are doing. :)
Mary
Melika

Post by Melika »

:o As someone who has done this with dogs- AWESOME! I'm trying now to find a way to do this in my tiny home...
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
puppypundit

Post by puppypundit »

Better than my French Bulldog was, for sure! Great work and efforts there! Love it!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

puppypundit wrote:Better than my French Bulldog was, for sure! Great work and efforts there! Love it!
:lol: years ago when I had a dog, there were a couple with "his and hers" spaniels in the agility class I took. His dog had no interest at all! He would stop and wee in the tunnel and then wander off the course. The guy didn't look anymore enthusiastic than the dog. It was so funny to watch.

We rearranged the birds agility course so it runs clockwise around the table and Sapphire took to it straight away. Nila doesn't understand the weave poles going that way though. We also added a seesaw, which Nila likes standing sideways on the middle of and leaning back and forth to make it sway.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Here's a video of Sapphire on a roll with Janeys coin box, she didn't put any seeds in it this time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8oRpFOTKP4
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Has anyone seen cat agility? I'm impressed! This kid is a properly good trainer too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3dXT301i8k
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

pretty slick.. had to mute it after a while lol... it's cool to see cats doing that....

but i guess for the people doing the training it's not so strange.... Like, I think it's neat seeing how surprised people can be to see a bird playing fetch or dropping a basket ball, or come to you when called, etc...
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

I really enjoyed watching Sapphire with the coin box! Pretty clever lifting up the box to get more coins. Beginning to think I should concrete my garden so that I have more time with the birds. Thanks also for the cat agility.
Mary
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I think Sapphire's motivation for doing the trick is to find the coins again lol

We are working on some new tricks now, hopefully I've figured out the right way to explain them to the birdies.
We are bird sitting Janey and Charlie, Janey is busy doing her hormonal thing but Charlie is joining in training. He is a bit confused by what my guys are doing and just offers tricks he knows like crazy. :lol:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Mr Ellie says Charlie can't help it because he's gone from the equivalent of year 4 at our place straight into university at yours :)

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Wow. I sure missed some stuff! Loved that cat trainer, too.
-MissK