Welcome Mr. Sinbad Silly Pants!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

MissK

Re: Welcome Mr. Sinbad Silly Pants!

Post by MissK »

I dunno, it's the middle of August; we should have seen something by now.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

No account for taste, but it is not the moult that is stressful for our birds but the stress we have in clearing up their feathers. Here in Birmingham UK it has cooled down and now the worry is nesting sites. When Sinbad starts moulting you will be wishing it would stop.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I really want him to do it. Rocky has about finished already. I really want Sinbad to change his sad, frayed tailfeathers, and I am betting he will be shinier, too, from his better diet.

Recently we had a visit from family, and while he yelled at them a lot, I was secretly so pleased that he treated them differently than he treats me. Means I'm no longer a stranger. :P
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

Very proud of Sinbad today - he came out of the cage by himself. I notice Rocky did try to nibble his eyes......
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Yay for Sinbad!
Awwww rocky is a little sweety.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

sounds like they're getting along pretty well..they'll be taking toys away from each other in no time.
MissK

Post by MissK »

The did kind of share a toy. Whats the eye thing about?
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

You see the big IRN at the top of this page? Everytime I come to this site Mr Bell hops up on top of my monitor and starts pecking at that bird's eye. Not aggressively though. He'll just touch then open his wings.. displaying to it.

Other birds on youtube or pictures of birds he'll do the same.

I think it's just nothing more than a touch or a handshake.. a nod, a wave...

on a side note, you talked about regurgitation stuff. You told me something along the lines of letting you know more about my birds doing it.

Well the other day I actually witness neko asking for regurgitated food. They have one spot they always do it from (through the bars). There's a perch inside and one outside the cage right there and they like to sit together there. I was watching them and Neko started kinda touching the bars with his head tilted, sort of reaching his beak through... then mr bell leaned down, opened his beak then started head bobbing.. i watched long enough to see food actually be shared.. if they only knew how gross that was.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

MissK wrote:The did kind of share a toy. Whats the eye thing about?
your birds are obviously more mature than mine :lol:
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'm thinking they should be about 36 and 48 in human years!!!

They have made some beak contact but not sure I see any food passing back or forth. I'm keeping my fingers SO CROSSED that next regurgitation season brings them sharing food with each other and not messing up the cage bars.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

well even if they're going through the motions.. passing food or not.. means they like each other.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I would like to think I have a fair command of the English language, but I can't *truly* express what's going on between these guys. Honestly, they behaved as if they already knew each other and had been apart for some time, eager to be rejoined. Sinbad might be a little, just a little, less demonstratively enthusiastic, but I believe he is as eager as Rocky is to pursue time together. In cages, even just four inches apart seems to be too far apart for them. I have seen Rocky pursuing Sinbad, which is to say, Sinbad was moving away, and this is the big reason I cannot yet consider housing them together. Everybody needs an out - persons who have ever had a clingy "friend" will recognize this. Honestly, there was not a hitch in letting this pair together. It has just been a beautiful, beautiful, and very lucky thing. I'd like to think my gut might be able to take some small, insignificant bit of credit for waiting until it felt like we found the right partner for Rocky, but what does my gut really, *really* know about how Ringnecks make friends with each other?
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

well that personal space concept might not apply to birds.... like how other things turned out not to apply to birds.. like punishment and things like that...
maybe they can't care too much about personal space.
My own birds are in the process of consolidating into one cage. As far as I can tell the only space they need is about 8-12 inches.

If one of your birds didn't like what the other was doing.. he'd squawk, flap one time, and the other one would back up. I think your birds would be fine together... you need to give them more together time.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well yes, they definitely are having time together. I'm just not wanting to force them to be together.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nila use to do the clingy thing (constantly trying touch him, groom him etc) to Charlie when he visited and poor little Charles would just keep moving away, never telling Nila to go away. I think you are right to let them have personal space for now.
That's great that they get on so well!
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Soooooo....now I see you were holding back some important information...uh huh...I knew there was a reason I could not leave the forum...now I know why certain other inhabitants of your household have not fared so well...uh huh...and I know exactly who I will be reporting this to! Yes indeed I do. There has obviously been some wrong thinking. Cereally! Cereally wrong thinking! :lol:
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

Please don't rat me out to the Plant Police. Please. Think of the innocent Birdies. Who will look after them? Don't turn me in; I'll give you a nice nut!
-MissK
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

What type of nut?
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

a nice nut!
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Presumably from a nice tree?
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

The boys spent an unsupervised afternoon together in Sinbad's cage. When I got back after dark, they were sleeping on the same perch. AWWWWWWW!!!!!!! Time to start thinking about joining the cages. It may take some time to make that happen.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Yay! Are you going to remove the sides to join the cages?
MissK

Post by MissK »

I have a bit of thinking to do about it, and some more sleepovers to get underway. The easiest for me would be to join the cages end to end, although the prospect of making it double high is also attractive. I'm not sure if they would more appreciate height or width. If it goes double high, then we lose the play tree on top.

If it goes double wide then it would have to accommodate moving it every day to change the paper from both sides. Width has always been unsatisfactory for me. I do think there are enough panels to work with for that. I actually pm'd Donovan, since he has that aviary building experience. I rather suspect that I would have to get out the lumber to do anything more than joining the cages end to end.

So, I still don't want to rush them, but I think if they will support living together it would be preferable, since they are so thrilled with each other. It is also possible the day would come to build a custom cage and sell the double flights.

This is a very exciting time.
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

So happy for you all MissK. Well done!

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Thank you Ellie! I feel so lucky.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

If I were you but thank god l am not l would have a semidetached cage that way if they fall out they could reteat to their own pad but while things are going well they would put up with the cramped conditions each cage offers.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Fortunately, neither could be said to be living in a cramped cage now. I just get a little moon-eyed when I think of having a ten foot bird cage in the living room. :mrgreen:
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well, I found the hitch in the plan. Today I put them together in Sinbad's cage for a few hours and all seemed uneventful until I went by to offer Rocky some treats. He was glad to have them but Sinbad yelled at me for being so close for so long.

It *appears* that his yelling puts Rocky on edge. Rocky went over to Sinbad as he was yelling and I was watching for their interaction. Rocky tried three times to nibble Sinbad's toe, and his posture was odd. This was enough for me to put the idea of living together back on the shelf.

I can't rush caging them together and risk trapping them in any uncomfortable situation just because I got carried away with ideas about parrot fulfilment. Better to err on the side of safety. They will continue to enjoy time out together and little visits. Focussing on the positive, they are still thrilled with each other and that's absolutely fantastic even if they never share a cage.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

They say marriage spoils a relationship, but you should not worry because my bird treats our living room as her own and throws food all over my carpet. "Do you do that at home?" I ask her.
"You are kidding surely, this is my home!"
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

AJPeter wrote:They say marriage spoils a relationship, but you should not worry because my bird treats our living room as her own and throws food all over my carpet. "Do you do that at home?" I ask her.
"You are kidding surely, this is my home!"
excellent
Melika

Post by Melika »

Oh wow, I missed this. Grats on the new bird!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

Thanks Melika! He makes a bit more noise than, strictly speaking, I would prefer, but the situation is overall fantastic. I knew I wanted Rocky to have a pal, but I had not realized how very much he would appreciate it. I'm quite pleased, too, that Sinbad gets the same fulfilment, though when I brought him in he was just a stranger and his happiness meant less to me than Rocky's did.

BTW, Rocky's head is looking much more normal now.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

How are things with your bird MissK?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Cheap thrills today -

Rocky and Sinbad are spending the afternoon in the "jungle" on top their cages. I have the doorway curtain drawn to keep them in the living room, and I peek in on them now and then. As I did just now, they're on the branch, facing my general direction. I poked my head through the curtain and gave them a cheery "hi guys!" and they BOTH did the shruggy wing gesture of greeting. That's right, I got a friendly greeting in stereo! It was so cute, and I didn't expect it from Sinbad.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Count your lucky stars they could have turned their back to you.
MissK

Post by MissK »

They could have, but they didn't. :D

While I'm here, I'd like to make note of the great progress Sinbad has made in the 8 months that he's been here. When he first came, he was so scared I had to hide under a sheet and spy on him just to be in the same room. And the NOISE. Good Lord, the noise! On this day he calmly accepted my hand just about 18 inches from him while I was passing treats to Rocky, and he twice displayed interest in flying towards me. And then there's that greeting on top of it. And he makes a lot less noise.

Now, that might not be thrilling to anybody else, but I'm over the moon. What did I do to gain this rather commonplace and dull situation? Mostly nothing. I was nice to him. I tried to avoid doing things that upset him. I put him in the house, with a great cage and a great neighbor. I dished out good food and treats. I let him have some time loose in the room. Most times I talked to him and a lot of the times I ignored him and went about my business. I let him watch me interact with Rocky, and the various other creatures of the house.

Maybe if I were not such a lazy animal keeper, maybe if I had a regular training time, or even some goals, Sinbad (and Rocky, too) would have made more exciting and faster achievements by now. Maybe not. I'm very pleased with what we have, and the progress we have made. I see my second hand, middle aged, modestly accomplished birds as survivors and I *COULD NOT BE* more proud of them.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

That is what is so nice about them they always have something up their sleeves to please us, somewhere the year before last Billie lost the ability to sing and merely chirped well l have done a lot or whistliong to her and gradually she sings back but more so when some one rings my front door chimes that really sets her off.

Her egg laying is slowing down too, 10 last year in January, 5 in the Autimn and two this year. Her weight shot up to 395 grams becasue l was giving her poridge with full cream milk but cut that back to half fat milk because she was not the only one to go one a diet.
At the last weigh in she was down to 375 grams l hate to say what my weight is....
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

MissK - continue to bask in the bliss of acceptance. I am tickled pink Skye learned to circle when I cue him! :lol:
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

What a fine accomplishment for Skye!

Mary, I tell you, standing in the living room, gazing upwards at a pair of Ringnecks on a branch amongst a bunch of greenery with bird noises of four species mixing around me, THAT is a wonderous time. I cannot imagine how it will be a year or two hence, as I am sure to keep developing this situation. Maybe a fishtank simulating rainfall or a stream? Maybe a mister? Stuffed animal monkeys? Entire wall jungle mural? Ropes crossing the ceiling? A hammock on a frame in the middle of the room??? Only time will tell. I hope there won't be any bugs.
-MissK
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

You forgot about the beach! Oh right, sand gets into all those hard to reach places you don't want it. :lol:

I must admit I really enjoy my lovebirds. I walk into their room and I have one pair on my left arm, another on my right shoulder, one female preens the base of my neck, and another is usually climbing across my back looking for his/her spot to perch. The most I have had is five in a row on one arm. I will never underestimate or downplay the feeling of acceptance without judgement. It truly is a wonderful thing.

As far as decorating goes I fear where I am going to be next year. A lot of what I have read about parrots and enrichment, behavioural problems etc has discussed the mistakes we have made with how 'we' raise them - removing from parents/handfeeding - and the need to not only let parrots forage but the importance of supplying them places to go. So I have the cage and three playstations in one room and now I am working on the second room.

I don't have a jungle mural but I do have bamboo on the property and a bamboo mural that I debate about using. Unfortunately, no pandas. :( I do have stuffed monkeys! :mrgreen:
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

Sinbad had an overnight guest! Rocky and Sinbad were out and about, and when they both were in Sinbad's cage together I shut the door. I felt OK about it since I was on hand all day, and I left my bedroom door open overnight to hear any trouble. I did hear a bell ringing and got up to put their light on a little while, but put it off when things settled. When I spied on them they were side by side to sleep. Breakfast went well. I expect to send Rocky home before I leave the house,
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

How sweet! I reckon Billie would get on with another bird as does not attack her soft toy which is a blue dragon called Oodles
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Excellent! so glad things are working out well!
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well, Rocky spent two days with Sinbad, but now he says he wants out. It was fun but I guess it's just not the right time for this.
-MissK
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Familiarity breeds contempt! No reason they can't just have the occasional sleep over and lots of play dates. How many of your friends would you want to live with? :o
Last edited by SkyeBerry on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

I think there will be a lot of sleep overs. Once home, Rocky started feeding stuff. What a weirdo. They are together since yesterday again. It's OK with me if they travel a lot.
-MissK
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Has Rocky fed Sinbad yet?
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

Rocky has not, repeat, NOT, read the memo. He did stop asking to come out, though.

He's in Sinbad's cage, feeding the toys. Sinbad might be feeding the same toys, or he might be eating the stuff off them. They've been sleeping on different perches. Oh, I lied. Just now it looks like Rocky's at least trying to feed Sinbad. Hard to say what Sinbad's doing, cuz it's kind of overcast today and I can't see so well into that room from the next. Their faces are touching briefly, but I can't see any receptive action from Sinbad. Darn, it's too dark inside that cage and my binoculars won't focus from such a short distance away.

Life with the birds - never a dull moment!!
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Turn the binoculars round!