Biting

Moderator: Mods

amylouisecullen

Biting

Post by amylouisecullen »

I need help to stop my IRN from biting.. I only have it a few days but it seems to be biting a lot more compared to the first day Im trying to ignore it when it does bite but it really hurts is there any other tips on how to stop it from happening as I don't want him to hurt my daughter when she is holding him
sanjays mummi

Re: Biting

Post by sanjays mummi »

Angst biting is caused by fear, you haven't had him long, and if he didn't bite on the first day he was probably too bewildered by his strange environment. Let him settle in, and start slowly and quietly by offering a treat through the bars.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

your bird is not likely to go out of his way to bite you... so the first thing to know is that if he bites you it's because he doesn't like the situation he's in at that moment.

What's in it for him??

Indian Ringnecks don't always like being held and obviously they're not puppies or kittens. You have to pay close attention to stuff like biting or negative energy coming from the bird and immediately stop what you're doing. It's how they communicate with you. I have a bird a few months older than yours. I can pick him up and handle him and pet him but sometimes he doesn't want me to. If he doesn't like what I'm doing he'll bite me. But the thing is he's never bitten hard because he's never learned to. If I try to pet him and he bites at me I just leave him alone with nothing more than a bump from his beak.

Their whole thinking is based around what they can get out of something. They're pretty selfish that way. So anytime you pet that bird or handle it you need to give him a few treats immediately. That way he can associate being handled with good things instead of being in a situation where he gets nothing.
amylouisecullen

Post by amylouisecullen »

Thank you for the advise I will get a few different treats and see how they work I don't have him in a cage he just has a perch in the house so he is free to come to is when he wants, I won't touch him as much untill he is more comfortable around us
MissK

Post by MissK »

I would say unless he comes to you for it, don't touch him at all.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

you may be on to something there MissK.. my newest bird (neko) seems to mostly enjoy staying on his cage and finding ways to entertain himself there, but sometimes he climbs down to the side and leans out toward me.. wanting to come over where I am... when he does this i've never had any issues with him not wanting to be petted.
aliyaamelia

Post by aliyaamelia »

Im in the same situation. Had my ringneck for 3 weeks.. she four months. Really lovly and sits on my hand. Comes out and plays, takes treats and so on. And suddenly a few days ago she started biting against me.
when i try her to step up she lounges at my hand. If i put my hands near her cage same thing.

so ive been reading around alot to se what i can do. Im far from an expert but maybe, just maybe somethings might work for you.

Ive learnt something by watching my bird. And came to realise that when i come near her in a way that shes not comfortable with she leans her body back. Soon after that she goes for the bite.

so i changed my aproach a bit. Instead of "telling" im "asking"

now everytime i want to come near her cage i have a treat in my hand. And i move my hand slowly while talking to her. I offer the treat throug tje cage, And she happily takes the treat and then she seems more relaxed and lets me open the cage door. If she starts to lean back showing signs that shes scared. I stop. Hold still til she relaxes and when shes calm. I slowly walk away.
i never put my hands in the cage exept for when changing water and food. And most of the time shes out by then.
i let the door open and she comes out by her self.

For the stepping up and touching part.
Instead of just pushing my hand against her chest saying step up. I now very slowly from underneath (so she can see my hand) put my hand infront of her ASKING her to step up and most of the time she does.. If she leans her body back acting like shes getting scared. I stop. Wait and when she relaxes i walk away. Try again later.
and ofc. Always have treats ready.

I havent got bitten not once today ;)

Really slow movements and respecting when the bird dont want to seems to be the trick. At least for me and my cookie. With time im sure she will feel more secure.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I personally think your bird should have a cage or else he'll probably get into things like chewing electrical cables. He should also have a space to call his own and to feel safe. Get as big a cage as you can and provide lots of enrichment for him.

Ellie.