Is my irn a baby or an adult??

Moderator: Mods

Parrotlover101

Is my irn a baby or an adult??

Post by Parrotlover101 »

So i got an irn and the breeder said it was a 13 week old baby so them i asked him what gender is it he said he didnt know but the beack had black marking on it so it would be a boy so now iam worried my bird might not be a baby although he did seem like a reputable breeder he even sold some birds to petstores like petland ok so my bird is a wild ringneck because he is full green and has a shade of blue on his tail feather ok and he has these black line markingings accrosss his beak whivh make him a male according to the breeder and also his feet have little lines going accross them btw he dosent have a ring but he has the outline, and if you go close you can see its a little lighter shade so yah pics can be provided if needed please help me
sanjays mummi

Re: Is my irn a baby or an adult??

Post by sanjays mummi »

Your birds size should indicate his/her age. Sanjay was tiny for a long time,and I got him at 8 weeks. A pic would be help full.
Parrotlover101

Post by Parrotlover101 »

Here are the links to images for some reason it wont let me upload from my phone
http://imgur.com/qRODwb2
http://imgur.com/0JiNCCE
http://imgur.com/7cypRDt
http://imgur.com/f90JhFN

Btw he can dilate his pupils
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

That bird looks very young to me
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

What happened to his beak? There appears to be some abnormal discoloration as well as the damage. Is that a recent injury?

I can see no indication of gender but I agree s/he looks immature. If you would like to know the gender the easiest way to find out before the bird matures is to have him/her dna sexed by your avian vet.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Yay! Definitely a chickster! Look at those black eyes, and yes, a damaged beak.
Parrotlover101

Post by Parrotlover101 »

Hi i dont know nothing about a damged beak but maybe he does have one he is acting normal should i bring him to a vet for that?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I really think you should take your bird for a check up anyway, I can't really tell much about the beak. A check up with an Avian Vet is always a good idea.
This is what beaks should look like:
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

I would say maybe eight months old. Perhaps not quite that old. Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the ones with the darker bottom beak are African ringnecks while the Indian ringnecks have a more brightly colored orange beak, yes? I do know that Africans are smaller than the Indians.
And I would definitely take it to a vet anyway to make sure he/she is healthy.
~Dana

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Sunnydai,
Both birds in my picture are IRNs, the difference in beaks because of the mutations. A green irn will have a dark lower mandible and tip, I think by about 6 months but don't quote me on that. An African ringnecks beak is darker over all.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Oooh! I just learned something. Now I can't wait till morning to compare beaks.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Oh and yes, ARNs are smaller.
God I must be the most boring person in the world, but more trivia: brightness of beak can be affected by health and diet I think.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I've just learned something new too! Sanjays beak is as red as sealing wax, do ARN's get their rings later than IRN's?
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

Parrotlover101 wrote:Hi i dont know nothing about a damged beak but maybe he does have one he is acting normal should i bring him to a vet for that?

Yes i'd definitely take him/her in for a check up, it looks to me personally like your bird may have been attacked by another bird before you got it. Be a good idea to get it checked anyway! Plus you could get it DNA sexed, try and get it done via blood test not feather test as blood is a LOT more accurate.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

sanjays mummi wrote:I've just learned something new too! Sanjays beak is as red as sealing wax, do ARN's get their rings later than IRN's?
Pretty Sanjay :D
I haven't found any corresponding articles on parrots, but a good looking, vibrant beak makes for a very eligible mate in some song bird species that have been studied. Nila has a beautiful beak, but it hasn't got him very far with Sapphire so far... Though on reflection, that might be because he tries to nibble her eyelid persistently when they court...
As far as I know ARNs mature at about the same age as irns.
This page is interesting: http://home.online.nl/psittaculaworld/S ... rameri.htm for getting to know your psittacula krameri family tree.

Parrotlover: here is a little article on beaks for you http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 9&aid=2752
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay nibbles my eyelids when we smooch!