Indian RingNeck

Moderator: Mods

khan786

Indian RingNeck

Post by khan786 »

I bought an Indian ring neck parrot yesterday, the parrot is scared by any human interaction every time I offer treats to it it runs away to the other side of either the room or the cage, how do I overcome this? also I have seen it fluff its feathers and extend his wings, and extend his neck and open his mouth what do these things mean?
Donovan

Re: Indian RingNeck

Post by Donovan »

The neck stretch yawn thing means his ear itches
The fluffing is just something they do. Could mean he's tired or be the equivalent of you rubbing your face in your hands.

As for him running away from you, search the forum and look for other first time owners. The title usually has the word Help in it.
The short answer is keep trying and inside use his favorite treat and be extremely patient. Search the forum for more in depth information on the subject
khan786

Post by khan786 »

ThankYou :) can you also tell me what is the best treat for an indian ringneck can i give it monkey nuts as a treat ?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

The key to taming your bird is building a "trust account" with your bird. In every interaction with your bird think about if you were your bird and a human who is much bigger than you did this to you, would it make you trust him/her more? Try to avoid things that won't build trust because then it will make it harder to build that trust account.

Regarding treats, IRNs are only small, so anything that you use should be broken into small pieces (eg. half a pine nut, one small bit of a walnut, a small piece of banana). Each bird has its own individual tastes. Give your bird a bowlful of treats and watch which ones he eats from the bowl first. Then withdraw these from its normal diet and use them as treats.

Best wishes :)

Ellie.
aliyaamelia

Post by aliyaamelia »

Hi, i got a indian ringneck i think 5 days ago now. I sat next to his cage as much as i could and i still do.
Sat next to him eating, reading, on the phone and so on.
Offering him treats every now and then. And i think second day he started taking apple and walnut from my hand through the cage wire. Apple seems to be the favourite so far.
I leave the cage door open when im at home, and on day three he came out to inspect ;) he comes out every day.
i have now started to put my hand inside the cage when hes in there or slowly put it on top of his cage when he is sitting there trying to make him comfortable with my hand. Still havent tried to touch him,don't want him to get scared.
I think letting him come to you is the best way to go. For all the bird knows we could be a giant trying to kill him. They need to realise that thats not the fact before anything else.
Im not at all an expert. But it feels like im getting somewere with mine

good luck.
let me know if you got any good tricks