Hey all! I'm Addie!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Hydrophobic333

Hey all! I'm Addie!

Post by Hydrophobic333 »

Hello!

You can call me Addie, and I'm new to the forum. I don't have a Ringneck yet, but I have been looking into them quite extensively and I see mixed reviews over them so thanks to someone on another forum, I was referred here to ask some questions that I hope you can help me with! (:

I look forward to reading and finding out if this is the right bird for me or not!

Thank you!
AJPeter

Re: Hey all! I'm Addie!

Post by AJPeter »

Hallo Addie,

I have an Alexandrine hen, some people say Alex are more friendly and easy going then IRN
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

Hi Addie! Good to see you here.
I hope the guys help out with their opinions for you.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Well.. when I got my bird I researched for about an hour and that was it. I saw it in the store.. never seen an indian ringneck before, went home and read up on them real quick and went back to the store to buy it.

I saw mixed reviews too. One of the first things I saw was that they weren't great pets and wouldn't bond closely, but then I came across something like common myths about indian ringnecks that completely refuted the first stuff i read.
And then i saw where lots of people were quite happy with them.

If you get one.. they can be a lot of fun. They're very energetic and require lots of attention, proper food and a cage that might seem larger than conventional thinking.

They're highly intelligent and easily trained. Now, "easily trained" also means that any negative experiences they have will quickly imprint on their memories. Everything with them is a negotiation, never force or will only have the opposite effect. They don't wait on something bad to become a pattern before they decide they want nothing to do with that one thing.
For instance my bird didn't like to be sprayed with mist. I thought he would like it if he only tried it so I made him do it. Now if I pick up a mist bottle he flops around like a fish.

So anything you ever might want to teach the bird to do must be done purely through positive interaction (food and toy rewards).

They might learn to talk, they might not. Something you don't want to do is get your bird accustomed to receiving lots of fun and attention when he's "new" and then a year or so later when the "new" wears off stop giving him so much attention. They're a high energy animal and will stay that way their whole life which is somewhere between 15-25 years. So be prepared to incorporate your bird's needs into your daily routine.

I started giving my bird less attention so I got another bird.. now i really have my hands full, but i do believe it was the right thing to do. One IRN can be fine as long as you don't ignore or neglect them.

Accept that they're loud and messy and be careful what noises you let it learn because you're likely to hear that noise being screamed out a lot
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

Bump!

Can a mod move this to somewhere else. As it does not seem to be getting the replies I thought it would.
I invited this person here hoping you guys would chip in some good information.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

change the subject line maybe.. to the question itself

that might get more results
MissK

Post by MissK »

I agree - no actual questions have been asked yet.

Addie, list your questions and we'll all have a crack at them.
-MissK