Parrot Speak Easy

Moderator: Mods

sanjays mummi

Re: Parrot Speak Easy

Post by sanjays mummi »

Coo!, Billie has a lot of drama in her life!, but I'm glad she is ok now, Sanjays Alfalfa ends up on the floor of his cage, but it is supposed to be good for him (article in "Parrot" magazine). Today he is cock a hoop with the big fat fresh garden peas I found on our local market. No bitter melon though, so he has some Pak Choi instead.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Does Sanjay get peas in the pod?

Billie was playinmg tjhe goat tonight bot of us had a bad night with a new neighbour downs who could not sleep and was prowling and banging doors at 3 am and every twenty minutes of so. Eventually it stopped at about 5.30 am but as l had to get up early to take in the computer at our church l knocked on her door at 7.30am no answer so l went round to all the windows and knocked on those eventuially she came to the window. "You have just woken my up!" Well you woke me at 3.30 am. She promised it would not happen again. Really she is very nice its a pity about the doors. She lived in a house before she came to the flat and l suppose she has to adjust. Living in a flat is all about not treadign on your neighbour's toes.

Well Billie had a rough night too, and tonight she would not go in her cage but sat on the top screeching. I turned off all the lights and pulled the curtains, she got the message and went in. So l pulled the curtains open and turned on the light she just sat there sulking.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay Always has his garden peas in the pod!, it's all foraging. I live in a ground floor flat, but the Croatian guys upstairs can be heavy footed in the early hours, if I bang the wall three times, they kick their shoes off (I hear this too) and all is quiet, they work late hours so it is usually just after they get home. Sometimes though, they forget to put their slippers on, Sanjay can be heard making querulous little noises from behind his cage cover!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Poor Sanjay.

I have lived here in my upstairs flat for 20 years it is such a nice place, l was three years about 20 yards away in a down stairs flat. Sometimes you get really bad neighbours but they do not last long. The lady who had the flat down stairs would have all her relatives around for meals at 3 am and then they would do the house work together. It was hell and they would be smoking and go to bed at 4 am and sleep until 12. but l have a good housing association landord, and they told her she would go if l made another complaint about her noise.

After a year she stabbed her partner and ended up in jail so l had the place to myself for 8 months, Billie and l enjoyed the peace and quiet. I now have a new neighbour and she seems to be very nice and considerate and last night she was ever so quiet Billie and I had a good nights sleep.

It is amazing what a good bang on the wall will do!

Billie and l have had a good day today she has been riding around on my shoulder l very nearly walked in here with overhead fan working but stopped just in time. Billie has decided she likes raisons with her cornflakes.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

My new bird seems to like raisins but the older bird won't even consider them.

As far as the ceiling fan thing goes... i'm fairly tall myself, 6'3". When I am walking through the house with a bird on my shoulder or on my head I have to remember not to ram him into things
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie likes to squeeze the juice out of oranges then drops them but recently she has discovered that if she tears them apart she can get more enjoyment and raisons get well and truly chewed before being dropped!

Does your praying Mantis ride on your shoulder, perhaps he no wait a minute is it a she? How do you sex praying mantis? I can sex mice, perhaps your Manits is praying l won't try.

Do not worry l will soon get tired of my praying mantis jokes
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Praying Mantis forsooth!. Sanjay will not eat raisins At All. I've had similar neighbours, a drug dealer who turned his nice little flat into a crack house (oh yes, I know all the terminology, even though I lived a sheltered life). A woman who spent seven years in jail for drowning her friend in the bath, "diminished responsibility" because she was an alcoholic, and evicted because she still was, and Not a "happy" drunk. Yes, we've seen 'em come and go over the years. Sanjay has been affable today, but he is rarely un affable, I'm glad I have a chandelier and no ceiling fans, as I get older I become more vague, and besides, a chandelier makes a great perch!, all those pretty droplets to play with, they are thick enough to be safe.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I have had several praying mantises. They only live about a year so every year I start over with a new one. I had one that I caught in the wild. It was huge. I already had another one since birth but I decided to keep both. I put up a divider in the aquarium to keep them apart. Two days later my original mantis was missing. I got to looking around and found remnants of it in the wild-caught mantis's side. He'd broken through the divider and gotten himself eaten. About a week later the surviving mantis spun out several egg things (called an ootheca).. Apparently he didn't just go get eaten but he got lucky in the process.

The only basis I can possibly go on for sexing a praying mantis seems to be that the females -may- be bigger and fatter than the males.

My original mantis was obviously a male since a praying mantis female will consume the male while he's doing the deed. Oddly enough I learned that praying mantis males have a second brain. Guess where it is.
It keeps their body functioning and doing what it's supposed to do for the purposes of procreation after the female has literally chewed his head off.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Eeee ooow!, and the second brain site, reminds me of some human guys I have met in my time!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I spoke too soon my neighbour downstairs had a cananbis party stretching last night from 8 pm until 4 am by shutting all the hatches l was able to keep the weed out of my place, it was mostly quiet until they shut the doors with a bang. i hammed on the wall but it made no difference l think they were too far gone. Emma is still there l heard her banging around in the kitchen earlier.

Cor! Glad l do not live in South Carolina, l thought stag beetles were bad enough we call them Devil's coach men, many years ago l had a female come into my bedroom, it had enormous pincers which it clicked alarmingly, sounded like a butcher sharpening the carving knife. I shut the bedroom door and retreated to the Living room for a week before l dared go back to my bedroom.

Hamsters must be related to mantles becuase the female will eat the male after sex starting with his head, she will only tolerate a male for a few hours before mating.

When l was the manager of a pet shop we had a lady come in with her daughter, the lady had a blood soaked hanky wrapped her around finger. "Do you have any hamsters that do not bite? She asked me, oh yes l will get you one and l bought one of the long tailed hamsters and gave it to her daughter to hold l tucked the tail under the hamstaer. "Oh look mummy its licking my finger." The daughter said and passed the animal over to her mother, the tail popped out and the mother said "It looks like a rat."

It is a rattus norvecis l said and the mother shreiked and threw the rat up into the air. luckily it landed on all fours, "You derserve to be bitten." l told her "That is no the way you treat an animal." I only wished we had some hamsters because they bite if a stranger picks them up. Nasty critters.

Somebody discovered Hamsters living in a cave in Algeria during the 1930's.

You did not answer my question does your Praying Mantis have a name?

I loved watching the Chandeliers riding their horses in Hyde Park.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

AJPeter wrote: You did not answer my question does your Praying Mantis have a name?
I've had several, I gave up on naming them. However in the past I had "big momma" ... "junior" (poor junior died a terrible death.. a failed molt that I tried to help him with. Had to amputate his wings and after that I decided to just squish him because it wasn't working.. I can say i have performed surgery on an insect though)
and there was henry... (big momma ate him)
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Poor Henry
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

My daughter had many hamsters when she was young, females are the best they tend Not to bite. Rats have my respect, but their tails give me the heebies. I once had a June beetle in my kitchen and mistook it for a cockroach, until it took off like a flying fortress.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

My place is beginning to look like Alcatraz. l bought some plastic fencing from Wilko cut it to size for each window and tried to hammer in the staples. Our wood frames are like iron, l managed to get two panes up, Billie was very interested in what l was doing and flew to my shoulder for a better look, l offered her a plastic pane she took one bite and flew off. I reckon she would have a job biting through the plastic and would have to bite four in a square to make a hole big enough to climb through.

I do not think she has enough savvy to do that, the idea of the plastic mesh is to allow me to open the window wider than l would if there was no mesh, it is to stop her just flying out of a window not properly closed. I tied string to the handle so l could pull the window shut in rain storm.

I think it was Missk who said she pulled the drapes closed when she wanted to open a window but that left me worried that a breeze could blow the curtain open and out she would go.

Billie not MissK.

Last year when l first got Bilie, the cage then had a side door and she got out and was sitting the top of the cage enjoying the breeze from an open window, gave me chickens.

Our bug problem here is wasps, there is a nest somewhere near by, but l found that squirting them with a weak solution of washing up liquid got rid of them. They do not like it. I used Billie's spray bottle to squirt flies they do not like that and get out fast. She has chickens when she sees a fly. The flies have chickens when they see Billie's spray bottle.

Did you know it is be kind to a chicken week, next week?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

So, if you get "the chickens" and we are kind to you, we get extra eggs?. I just close my windows when Sanjay is out, seemples, and have a floor standing cylindrical fan.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Yes l have a floor standing fan, and a desk fan and and a ceiling fan which is the best, but some how out first floor flats get very hot inside and it is very noticieable how the downstairs flats are so cool. Possiblle becasue of the conrcete ceiling my floor.

It does not seem to worry Billie, l thought l would leave the door open tonight held shut by the blanket 'caus' l'm a littlle worried that if l snuff it she will be trapped inside. My church friends would note my abscence but how long would it take for some one to check up on Billie?

Train's a'coming!

Of course you know that when some one has chickens it is the same as triplets when you back is turned/
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Our brood bitches only turned their backs for a second, anyway, I digress, Sanjay is passionate about passion fruit, and was cock a hoop when I brought some home today!, he loves to drill through to the yellowy green slimy seeds, and they produce a very satisfying cracking sound too.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I offered Billie some passion fruit but l ended end up eating it myself YUK! Now wonder she did not like it. Today decided l could not eat any more boiled beef and carrots, actually it is corned beef and steamed veg, so we had salad, she loved the cheese but did not like the egg flan. Good all the more for me. She quite liked the iceberg lettuce/

Are paasion fruit seeds safe?

Today is shopping day and I went to asda but they had no corn on the cob so had to go down the road to tesco who had loads l reckon they had a corner on cobs. Billie ate all the pomegranite she gets a quarter every day she even tried to eat the peel, but she hardly looked at the corn cob. Shame.

We had a fantastic thunder storm today, Billie hid under a cabbage leaf.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

No sweet corn on our market yet, still a tad expensive I was told. Of course Passion Fruit is safe, or I wouldn't give it to Sanjay. Poor Billie, brontophobia, himself doesn't care if there's a storm. I tend not to offer my food because of added salt or sugar, but a sliver of my boiled egg, and some of my organic Greek yogurt is ok. It's coriander day today, apparently the seeds are toxic to IRN's but a bunch of the leaves are great for shredding.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie has twice turned her nose up at Quiche, she was chewing a on a piece of bacon yesterdday. I put a mineral block in but she has totally ignorred it. She has about 4 cornflakes and a raison, she likes iceberg lettuce and sat chewing on a small leaf until it was all gone. Most of pomegranite has gone but she has hardly tourched the corn cob. Tesco had oodles.

Why has Noddy got big ears? Zebede would not pay the ransom.

What is Brontophobia?

She used to like Greek yogurt with honey, but pushes the spoon away when l offer it now.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Put Billie to bed early tonight she was very upset and came to the door and stared at me then ran back and forth on her perch. I told her that she must have an early night and she went to sleep quietly uinder the covers/
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Brontophobia is fear of thunder. Sanjay unhooked his canary seed bar and held it horizontally to nibble, he prefers "Impeckable" nut and seed bars from Wilko but also likes their "Impeckable" canary seed bars. We had the thunder today here in Bedford, fortunately I got back from the Polling station before it started raining etc.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Funny how each bird differs so much l bought 4 cockatiel seed bars from Pets at home but Billie will not even look at them, she does like stripping the Wilko parrot bar, almost going through one a week. I think she has gone off Corn on the cob but she eats the whole quarter of a Pomegranite though.

Does Sanjay still get 'Feather up?' For Bille l use less but sprinkle on her fresh fruit, She is growing two new tail feathers but has not lost any more primary feathers so maybe she is coming to the end of the moult.

That plastic sheeting l bought from Wilko and cut up into pieces and then decided l would buy a whole sheet and not cut it up l have changed my mind smaller pieces are easier to handle over the kitchen sink.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay isn't keen on Pets at Home bars either, he demolishes the Wilko ones in about 48 hrs, he does love the big sunflower bells, he starts at the bottom and goes through them like a termite chomps through wood!. Yes, I am still dusting his fruit with Feather up, but he isn't moulting heavily, his tail feathers grow in rapidly when he sheds the old ones. I agree about the plastic sheets.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I must look out for the sunflower bells l must go round with my eyes closed!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

They don't sell them in Wilko's, but Pets at Home and Jolleys have them.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

AH!!!

Now she tells me.

Bille was very good tonight she went into her cage as soon as l asked her and when she was ready she sat on her sleeping perch, l think it pleased her that l did not need asking to cover her up.

She lost a tail feather last night and the other went this morning. I cannot remember who said the tail feathers are the last to go in a moult. so perhaps Billie has finished now. So what is next?

Billie has become very friendly again, sitting on my shoulder watching who comes and who goes she is a very nosey bird.
A bit like me.

Not that l am a nosey bird you understand.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I can be a sticky beak at times. Be comforted by the fact new feathers push the old ones out. Sanjay always responds when I ask him if it's bedtime, and goes straight to his sleeping perch.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

i have given Billie a quick look over and think her head has mottled green feathers, in stead of the plain green which she was. I also weighed her, 240 grams that has been steady for the past three months, and her vent area is as clean as a whistle although l am unsure how clean a whistle is but never the less it was clean.

Some years ago l was given a bowl of china cherries by a friend so l decided to pass them on to my neighbour down stairs and put them on the table next Billie's cage and she flew down and tried to eat them.

Shopping tomorrow so l will buy some cherries, do people take the stones out first or just make sure their birds do not eat the stones, why are they called pitts?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

The stones are toxic, so you will need to remove them. I have found Sanjay prefers his Pomegranate just as it comes, washed dried, and speared on a skewer, he bores through the skin and can access the seeds no problem!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

You give Sanjay a whole pomegranite? How long does that last him? Billie eats a quarter a day she could easily eat half
but not sure that is good for her. I bought some cherries today but she is not over the moon with them, l offered her one with the stone in but she quickly started to bite on it so l put my hand under her beak and said the magic words. "Thank you!" and she dropped it.

I bought some eggs too and had a soft boiled one with my salad l saved some egg with shell and ground them up but Bilie totally ignored that dish . I gave her some egg and she stuck her neck out as far she could and gingerly took a nibble.
Anybody would think it was going to bite her. I had to go to tesco becasue the police were crawling all over One stop and the shops were shut.

This morning she wanted to ride on my shouder as l got the brunch ready and l ran the tap and she started to russtle her feathers so l took her into the bath room and with a little persuaion she sat on the shower perch and enjoyed a shower. I kept moving the clothes horse closer to the shower unti she was sitting under the stream water runnning off her back on both sides. I offered her my hand to step up but she wanted to stay where she was but soon l thought enough is enough and turned the water off but continued to sit there. Eventually she deigned to sit on my hand and we went into the LR and she flew to her cage wringing wet.

So after dinner at 6 pm she aggreed with me "What a day!" and was covered up.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I let him eat what he can, but I don't leave fresh foods in his cage for long. After all, they are cheap enough to buy.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Pigeons

Pigepns are birds and can be trained to return to their lofts, Parrots are birds but can they be trained to return to their home?
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Absolutely. I don't know about long distances though..

all in all I'd say it's more unrealistic for a person to have the ability to train the parrot to do that.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

200 miles is okay l did hear of one pigeon who came back a week late over a distance of 700 miles but l think 40 milea i more normal.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Years ago, a couple in a nearby village kept a pair of fabulous Macaws, they would soar and fly all around the area all day, and return home in the evening.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

There is a parrot rescue centre in Sussex, or it may be twycross zoo but the parrots fly around all day in the open and return at night so how do they do it?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

In the same way wild birds go home to their nests, birdy radar perhaps?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It is every parrot's duty to try and escape.

I am sure Billie was eyeing up the widows to see which was openned more than a crack, she has not tried to land on my plastic mesh covering one open window, at least not while l was watching.

She eats every little bit of fruit of the Tesco pomegranite, but still turns her nose up at corn on the cob from Tesco, it may just be an eating fad.

She just grins and bears the shower in the bathroom, and she is still dropping wing feathers one last week one yesterday.
Her new tail feathers are shorter than the old ones by about three inches which is rather strange there is less room in this cage than the preveious cage which might account for it but can they adjust the length of wing and tail feathers?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Maybe her rudder hasn't completely finished growing?. Sanjays tail appears to grow back uber fast, he hasn't lost it Yet, still dropping wispy feathers and wing feathers at the moment.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

MEN: Are you worried about your friends watching you go bald?

Well here is the answer rub parrot pooh into your scalp when you wake up and last thing at night for a fortnight.

Problem solved. Billie and I will be delighted to send you a free sample if you are not 100% satisfied we send your money back but if you want to order Bille will take Umbrage to satisfy the huge demand.

Warning side effect. No firiends
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

AJ, we have our own supply, ta, a new volunteer at the RSPCA shop where I work has two budgies, she bought the second one to keep the first one company while she's at work, bless!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie gave me a very nasty bite, she came up and bit my finger right on the knuckle. it was a punishment. We have this routine l sit down at the organ and she comes the edge of the cage ans stares at me, then l lift her down onto the book case and she listens to my answer phone.
Then l either lift her back onto the cage or down on the organ, she is not strong enough to press a key with her beak but she taps it so l push it she is trying to work out which foot is playing the note. But today instead of lifting her back to the cage l took my hand up to the perch hanging from the ceiling. She hates it and refused to stand oin it so l put her down on the cage, l thought she would like to play the organ so kept my hand ready as she stepped off onto the cage she turned round and walked up to my hand and bit my finger.
Blood every where, l did my usual drama queen act and screamed, she was quite unconerned when l showed her the blood she gave me a look as if to say serves you right, do not lift me up there again.
We made up later, l pretended nothing had happened and she did too!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Coo!, I bet she was fascinated by your reaction, maybe she was bored and in need of entertainment?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie thinks she can do anything she likes and she is right, well half right because she is also half left, but she throws everything she does not want onto the floor and then poops on it. She was trying to keep a straight face tonight when l accidentally trod in the mess. The mats will have to be cleaned tomorrow.

l told her "I live here you know?" And she replied "That is all right you can poop here if you want."

We sat out doors for half an hour, it was hot. She was ever so pleased when one of neighbour came across to say hallo, and my downstairs neighbour Emma put her head out of the window but Bille was a bit too far away to notice. It was too hot! So we came in.

Billie is a bit like me she says only dirty people wash. I used to say that water was too wet to wash in but my sister ruined my act of rebellion by saying that is why you use soap it makes the water less wet!

Salvador Dali the great painter rubbed donkey urine into his hair on his first date when he was 14, and got his face slapped. i wish l could have done that but now l settle for parrot pooh.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie has been working on a new product, we are almost able to take orders. Pomegranite flavoured Cuttle Fish Bone.

Billie has also worked on a new design in wallpaper. Random Pomegranite splatter.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Oops!, Damian Hurst eat your heart out!. You will have to repaper with pomegranate coloured wallpaper, having said that, Billie may ditch pomegranate for kiwi fruit if you do.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

No chance, she does not like Kiwi fruit.

She has almost perfected the art of unscrewing the spike that holds the pomegranite, she is great at undoing nuts most are too tight fo her to get a grip but the nuts that hold her dishes in place regularly drop off, by accident or design?

I was looking at the new catalogue from Northern Parrots, what l really need is a ladder that is bite proof l saw one once with metal sides and plastic rungs, would pay the earth to buy one! I saw that scales they labelled "BestBuy" costing £99 have been dropped. I think they overdo the best buy label.

Billie sits on her door and watches TV l went to church this morning and left her sitting on the cage door and when l got back she was still sitting on the cage door. When l moved blocking her view l could hear her tut=tuttering. I think she is a telly addict but l have noticed she does not like cartoons.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Good grief! She will be changing channels next!, have you googled Scarletts parrot supplies?, might be cheaper. As for Cartoons, what a discerning birdy, she may prefer the shopping channels, but don't leave your credit card laying around where Billie can get hold of it, mind you knowing her she's memorised the details!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Thank you Sanjay's mummi l have had a look around Scarletts but could not see what l wanted , no worry.

I love the way Billie grips a nut turns her head and lets go. And then grips the nut again before turning her head she can do it very quickly. I think that shows a lot of inteligence. I like to leave the cage door ajar at night and the top is also not closed down completely, She was not quite ready to go to bed and came out through the door. l thought "Here we go!" But l was wrong having made her point she went down and was covered up.

Billie is getting more confident in the shower, today she was hanging up side down while she got wet. I have never seen her so wet and she loved every minute. We went out later in the comunal garden and several people came up to say hallo she loves the attention and whistles and warbles for them.