IRN mimicking after 2 weeks?

Moderator: Mods

Roach1989

IRN mimicking after 2 weeks?

Post by Roach1989 »

Hi guys,

I have had my beautiful IRN now for 2 weeks tomorrow! In my last thread I mentioned she is around 6 1/2 to 7 months old. Previous owner didn't spend a whole heap of time on her. Anyway my question is....

I didn't want to bombard her/him with lots of words, so I have started wolf whistling at her and making click clock noises throughout the day. Every time she is out I am doing this and she is out around 3/4 times a day for around an hour each time. Saturday just gone I swear I heard her trying to wolf whistle and this morning she wouldn't stop mimicking it. Is this normal/possible for a ring neck to do this so soon? Maybe I'm hearing her wrong and it's just a random noise IRN make, but it sounds so much like a wolf whistle.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Rochelle
MissK

Re: IRN mimicking after 2 weeks?

Post by MissK »

Why not? My Ringneck has, I swear, repeated a few words immediately after hearing them just once. The day I told the dog to "come with me so you don't eat my breakfast" and Rocky immediately said "my breakfast" for the first and only time -- that day will live in my memory forever. It has happened a few other times, different words, nothing fantastic or phenomenal.

My bird does a whistle in two parts, maybe a little like a slow motion wolf whistle. We use it for our contact call. I love it.
-MissK
Donovan

Re: IRN mimicking after 2 weeks?

Post by Donovan »

My bird has said a number of words but most of them were only once... I remember him landing on my shoulder once and saying "thanks" just out of the blue.. he was asking for a treat, because I would always say "thanks" when I gave him a treat (trying to teach him to say it when he got one)

He said "Whatcha doin" pretty clear.. but only once... and for a while he seemed to enjoy saying Peekaboo but has stopped.
Now he has stopped whistling the tunes I taught him. Not sure what his problem is, I guess he's growing up and getting an attitude.