Hi- so glad to have found you!! Stop bye and say HI

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Annie

Hi- so glad to have found you!! Stop bye and say HI

Post by Annie »

I'm Annie and have just about one year experience- or lack of experience- with IRN. Our first, Skylar (Blue) we adopted at age 4- well raised, hand fed by the prior owner and already talking. He was a bit grumpy, but a great guy to have around. He adjusted well to our full home of 5 people- (2 adults and 3 children ages 9,11, and 13) and 2 cats (both 18 and LOW energy) and 2 small dogs. He enjoyed flying around our family room and mostly hung out on the top perch above his cage- at night he would go inside the cage. He always waved to us, said "Hi" and learned some other creative phrases like "Let's Go" and "Come here".
Skylar unfortunately snuck out a briefly open door and flew away 4 days ago- we are all crushed. We put up signs, posted on the neighborhood message board, craigslist, left word at our two nearby parks, walked the streets, left his cage outside- we are still hopeful, but I don't think it's likely he will be found. I hope to find information about happy endings here.
While posting my lost ad, I found a couple needing to rehome their Green IRN ASAP due to a move. So I offered to take him, and will keep both if Skylar returns.
Our new fellow is 7 months, his wings were clipped at 2 months and they described him as loving. He spent most of his time alone and more recently with a puppy, and out of the cage in front of a large mirror. I am going to search out ideas to help acclimate him to our busy home. We also want to change his name. He seems to be a bit stressed out- with the fluffy "big head" and lashing out. He allowed me to handle him at her home when I went to adopt him, but here I want to wait for him to adjust. He's taken apple from me and is quiet. I look forward to searching this site and know I'll find some great advice!!
I am curious if it is advised to put him in a quiet bedroom with a large mirror away from us at first, or keep him in our main family room area where all the action is?
Or a little of both.
Thanks
Attachments
This is our new 7 mo INR- feel free to leave a name suggestion.
This is our new 7 mo INR- feel free to leave a name suggestion.
smaller green.jpg (42.82 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Skylar (blue) is our lost Wonder Bird.
Skylar (blue) is our lost Wonder Bird.
skylar.jpg (14.38 KiB) Viewed 825 times
InTheAir

Re: Hi- so glad to have found you!! Stop bye and say HI

Post by InTheAir »

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I don't know how I missed your post!
I hope your new bird is settling in well. Did you find skylar? I am so sorry to read that, I always worry if I lost my girl she could only be retrieved by me or my bf, as she is not good with strangers at all...