2014 breeding in the Southern Hemisphere

Moderator: Mods

McmillanBirds

Re: 2014 breeding in the Southern Hemisphere

Post by McmillanBirds »

For the pairs where there is a nest box up, definite nest box activity, shavings being chucked out, courtship happening. Young pairs sharing of food and occassional dancing, they are still not 100% sure of each other as yet. Things are definitely looking up :) Can't wait for this season to get into progress :D
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

My old settle couples are very active. But the newer couples don't even have nests yet. No rush, lots of time. :D
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

Some of mine are getting busy ,and others are still looking at each other so for me its a 50 - 50 so far .
But there is still plenty time as Johan says .
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

At the moment, I only have one pair well and truly interested in each other - the other cocks are still working on impressing their grumpy hens- but still plenty of time- I'm sure they'll get there in the end
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Molossus,

My IRNs are very much where yours are ATM.
i expect eggs early July & in full swing in August :P
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Thanks Molossus, same to you & hope you breed what you are wishing for.
I hope to breed this season new & exciting phenotypes , exploring further into the endless posibilities of combinations possible with amany mutations we have available to play with.

Hope you do well with your Dhani, my optimistic mind tells me i should be able to own one with the next 5 years :P
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

molossus wrote:tell him he's going to KFC..works for mine :lol:
I'm going to remember that! There is a misty cock at my place not taking to a gorgeous hen... :twisted: :lol:

As for the season, I haven't seen any mating, but that could be because I'm almost never home these days during daylight. SA is being hit by a cold front today, which should move through by tomorrow or Friday. That first real cold is normally a good trigger for things to 'heat up'. Can't wait!
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

Hi There all
I have 2 pairs that I have seen mating , and plenty of courting so it is starting.

Good luck to all for the upcoming season
Robert
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Hi All
I haven't paired mine up yet, but they are in mixed flocks and some bonded pairs are displaying and setting up little territories.
kind regards
Mike
ErnieisAwesome

Post by ErnieisAwesome »

HI Breeders ! Im looking forward to seeing what all babies & colors you end up with ! I LOVE IRN's and this is like Christmas for me !! Hahah
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all, I also have both young and old pairs courting, feeding and mating, but haven't put any nestboxes in as yet, will only be putting my nestboxes in during this week

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

My season has started with 1 pair on 4 eggs
couple more pairs i expect to follow within a week or 2 & full swing from there throughout Aug.
I'm an Explorer
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Looks as if eggs are starting to make appearance in reasonable number..imo in about 10 days we will peak in egg production...
btw my first alex eggs laid from the 14 June... one egg pipping and another fertile . one infertile..
Good luck y'all .. breed em in bucketloads
samtheman

Post by samtheman »

One of my males has been displaying heaps to my hen but she doesnt look interested what do I do about that??
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi all

Been on holiday so this post is a little late. Discovered my first eggs last weekend. 4 beautiful eggs. She must have started laying roughly on the 09 july, finished around about the 13th which means hatch date will be around 3rd august. Candled them, this last weekend, from what i could see, 3/4 fertile. Will check again this coming weekend.

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh6 ... -02322.jpg

Have a good season everyone!!! :)
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

My first egg arrived yesterday. :D

Good luck to all, hope it is a cracker of a season for all!
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

At the risk of hijacking the topic: until when is the breeding season in South Africa?

I have a pair of gray birds that I moved to a new aviary last week that's much more suitable for them. Will they settle down to breed this year or skip this season and start next year?

Kind regards,

Wessel Gordon
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Wessel, it gets quiet towards the end of September, with a lucky few to get eggs after that. But I think there is more than enough time for them to settle down in their new surroundings.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Thanks, Johan.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

It looks like the pair I just moved is settling in well.

The female started throwing out wood shavings that I lined the nest boxes with so I'm hoping she picks a suitable nest soon. Having said that there doesn't seem to be any fireworks between her and the male yet.
Jayjess2013

Post by Jayjess2013 »

My Ringnecks had babies

2 green with yellow wings what is that colour?
and 2 albinos
Jay, jess and 4 mischevious Budgerigars

McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi all

1st clutch of eggs started hatching. 2/3 hatched by yesterday. The other should have hatched either last night or today. Can't wait for them to start pinning :D

2nd pair started laying on the 01/08/14. Will check the nest box on friday again. I don't like to disturb them too often if I can help it.

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh6 ... babies.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh6 ... clutch.jpg

Best of luck all :)
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Very very nice. :mrgreen:
parebear

Post by parebear »

We are waiting for our first egg to hatch. Sooooo eggcited
BuksV

Post by BuksV »

Halo All
mm I have 18 eggs and 3 babies so far. mm hope this cold passes quick,

hope we all have a great season.
Regards
Buks
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

It looks like the pair I moved recently is incubating eggs but I could be wrong.

The last couple of days whenever I was around their aviary the female was perched inside the nest with half her body sticking out the hole giving me the evil eye the entire time till I was done with my business around them. Today she didn't even bother and stayed inside the nest except for an appearance of a few seconds at the very end of my feeding/watering routine. While she was in the nest I could hear her moving around so she's definitely preoccupied with something. I also noticed that the male takes his job of supplying her with food a lot more serious the last couple of days even while she is out of the nest.

Since I'm in a wheelchair and I had to convert a donated cage I can't get to the nest myself to check on any possible eggs I'll have to keep my curiosity in check. The neighbor's son volunteered to help me with whatever needs to be done in that cage but right now instinct tells me that if she is incubating any eggs that keeping to an established routine and disturbing them as little as possible is the best option. On a previous occasion when the neighbor's son was in the cage we checked the nests among other stuff that needed to be done...there wasn't a single egg in sight at that point but the female didn't take kindly to the "invasion" and kept on dive-bombing the poor kid. My theory/fear on sending him in to check right now is that a) she'll abandon the clutch since she's not that used to him or b) that she will actually physically attack him. Scenario A I can live with but scenario B is simply not a risk I'm willing to take.

Guess I will keep a close eye on her in the following few days/weeks and work out when there should be chicks, taking today as Day 1 of incubation. Any advice on this approach from experienced breeders?
BuksV

Post by BuksV »

Good morning All.
I hope your season is going according to plan and good.
I am happy to say that I have exceeded my expectations by far.
I was hoping for about 30 babies and so far had 38 babies of which most is from my more expensive
birds. and then because i pulled them because of the cold we had some of them are going down for
the second round, so far i have more than 35 eggs in the nest boxes. one cleartail hen is for some reason
sitting on 14 eggs.

Regards
buks