Advice please on my Biting, Bluffing and Lunging IRN Joe :(

Moderator: Mods

Tessi84

Advice please on my Biting, Bluffing and Lunging IRN Joe :(

Post by Tessi84 »

I'm trying all sorts at the moment, I bought the BirdTricks DVD's but am having no luck. I don't know whats right and wrong to do because everyone has a different opinion about what is right..

My IRN Joe is now 6 months old and I need to re tame him as at the start he was a stunning cuddling bird but then as time went on the bluffing started and everyone said 'just ignore his bites' well when you have thin skin and hes taking chunks I couldn't just ignore it I became scared of him and he became a cage bird (my kids now are terrified of him as well)... This saddens me and I want to turn that around.

As it stands if I go near his cage he pins his eyes, fluffs right up and then lunges at me and sort of hisses at me.. I can't change his food and clean his cage until I allow him to get himself out of the cage or he will attack me quite nastily.
With my partner it's completely different, my partner isn't afraid and Joe knows it so the second my partner enters the room Joe flies around his cage in what appears to be fear and squawks, if he's out of the cage and my partner approaches he flies away.

I am currently trying the 'clicker' training but I think this may take time because I just don't know what I am doing lol.. Everything I read or see says sooooo many different things.. :/ I just want my happy Joe back, the one that trusted me at the start and didn't hate me!!
eckythump

Re: Advice please on my Biting, Bluffing and Lunging IRN Joe

Post by eckythump »

Tessi84 wrote:I'm trying all sorts at the moment, I bought the BirdTricks DVD's but am having no luck. I don't know whats right and wrong to do because everyone has a different opinion about what is right..

My IRN Joe is now 6 months old and I need to re tame him as at the start he was a stunning cuddling bird but then as time went on the bluffing started and everyone said 'just ignore his bites' well when you have thin skin and hes taking chunks I couldn't just ignore it I became scared of him and he became a cage bird (my kids now are terrified of him as well)... This saddens me and I want to turn that around.

As it stands if I go near his cage he pins his eyes, fluffs right up and then lunges at me and sort of hisses at me.. I can't change his food and clean his cage until I allow him to get himself out of the cage or he will attack me quite nastily.
With my partner it's completely different, my partner isn't afraid and Joe knows it so the second my partner enters the room Joe flies around his cage in what appears to be fear and squawks, if he's out of the cage and my partner approaches he flies away.

I am currently trying the 'clicker' training but I think this may take time because I just don't know what I am doing lol.. Everything I read or see says sooooo many different things.. :/ I just want my happy Joe back, the one that trusted me at the start and didn't hate me!!

try reading this :D http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=18946 hope it helps