AAA - WORST WING CLIP EVER

Moderator: Mods

hyjameel

AAA - WORST WING CLIP EVER

Post by hyjameel »

I own an Indian Ringneck with a bad wing clip - secondary wings are also clipped. No blood was present during and after the clip. When will it start moulting? when will it finish? how long does it take? He is fed well - ZuPreem FruitBlend, and BeapharParrot Seed Mix. WHAT SHOULD I DO :?: :? :? :?:
MissK

Re: AAA - WORST WING CLIP EVER

Post by MissK »

Hi.

You should make sure the bird has great nutrition, fresh foods, and (some would say) some protein. You don't say where you are, but for reference, here in Maryland, USA, I'm expecting molting any week now. Relax about it. I've already seen a little down. Give it two months and have your vacuum on standby. Tail feathers may be the last to come in.

Quite important, you will want to keep your bird calm and not let him be flapping around and banging the new feathers as they come in. Blood feathers benefit from the support of the other feathers around them. Without supporting neighbors the blood feathers may get damaged.

If you damage a blood feather and it is bleeding, this can be like a faucet draining blood from your bird. Quick action is needed. Right now is the time to talk to your certified avian veterinarian about what to expect. You need to know, from the vet, what can go wrong, how to recognize it, what action to take, what tools you need, who will take the action if you cannot, and how to ensure they are available 24/7. It might sound extreme to take such precaution but if you are unlucky you could lose your bird over it. So prepare.

I'll try to find a link to a thread regarding a bird with a little bit different problem, and the same end result - a bleeding feather was handled at home by an experienced bird keeper. There are pictures. http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 18&t=19074
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi hyjameel,

I'm reposting your pm here so others can benefit, and I'm answering it here as well:
Ok. So if that is so. I will just wait till it starts moulting. And if anything happens I take an emergency vet check. But nothing should happen. I know a great avian vet. I never tried him yet. So I should just wait and if any blood fethers broke, then I call the AVAIN VET IMMEDIATELY, right?
My answer is NO. This is quite definitely NOT what I meant. Your bird is at risk of actually dying if you are not prepared for an emergency. Preparation means you get ready for the emergency before it happens so that when it happens you are able to get proper help immediately.

My advice is as follows.
1) Take the bird to the certified avian vet this week. Explain that you want to be prepared for the emergency of a broken blood feather and learn how to handle it. Ask the vet to allow you to bring the bird at any time of day or night if emergency should happen. Do not leave the vet's office without a plan in place for handling the emergency. Ask the vet what supplies you will need.

2) If the vet instructed you to gather any supplies, get them immediately and keep them near the bird cage.

3) Keep your bird calm and restrict activity while the molt is going on and blood feathers are growing, EVEN IF YOU DON'T SEE THEM.

4) Once the bird has completed full wing molt then return him to normal activity.
-MissK
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

Well done MissK.

@ hyjameel
MissK is not trying to get you into a panic, just simply stating what you need to be ready for, as the clipping leaves no cover (support) for any new Pin Feathers growing in. Which will put them at very high risk of getting damaged.
She pointed you to my thread about Dexter. I was ready for what happened to Dexter as I have been down that road a few times. But that one was the worst I have had to deal with.
He may well of bleed out if I had not been around to see this blood feather get broken.
Most of the Secondary and Primary Pins or feathers can be pulled without to much stress or pain. Except the outer Primaries, these should be pulled by your vet if the need arises. As most will anesthetize the bird to do so.
As MissK says contact your vet and talk this subject over and set up for the worst case scenario.
This needs to be a blood stopping agent. You can use corn starch, cayenne pepper, and a few other things that may help. Not as good as styptic powder. It may not be possible to stop the flow as they are like an open vein, early in development. And this is where pulling maybe a better option, as when the damaged pin is removed the follicle will seal the blood flow quick enough.
Taking quick action is very important as they do not have that much blood to lose. That is why MissK says you need to be very ready.

With Dexter it was a large primary, which I was not happy to pull, and as this was on a Sunday the only option was an emergency vet, not AV. But I was close to taking him in.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi hyjameel,

I'm reposting your pm here so others can benefit and I'm answering here it as well.
Hi,
Do you think my bird will fly after he moults (he started moulting). Few feathers came out. It was successful. No fractures. The vet said it will be fine. But, I forgot about the flight issue. Will he be able to fly?? Or, will it be impossible?
I cannot predict if your bird will fly. When he completes his molt, if he has shed and replaced all the cut feathers, if he is not defective or damaged, if he knows how to fly, and if he has a place to fly in, then I would expect him to fly.

When I got my adult bird, although he was not defective or damaged, he did not fly because he either did not know how or had forgotten. He got scared a couple times and did fly then by instinct, but he seemed to have no idea how it happened or how to control it. Seeing that he could, physically, do it, but seemed to lack the knowledge, I set out to give him good motivation to try. I sat in front of him, a few feet out of his reach, and ate nuts. He wanted the nuts so much, after a few days he did become brave enough to try flying to me. After that he just had to practice. I was very proud of him.
-MissK