Percy has an infection

Moderator: Mods

Achilles&Percy

Percy has an infection

Post by Achilles&Percy »

For the last few days Percy has been favoring his right foot and biting at it. He also has been biting at his left foot, but not as bad. We went to the vet today and found out that he has a bit of an infection in his foot and a little scaling on the other. The doc prescribed an oral antibiotic that we have to give him 2x a day. We just gave him his second dose for today. Only 20 more days to go! Other than that the doc said he is very healthy and should make a full recovery. The only worry I have is that the nurse said to be very careful giving him the medicine, because if we don't get the syringe back in his mouth far enough, he can aspirate the medicine and get pneumonia. That would NOT be good. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
Mike
MissK

Re: Percy has an infection

Post by MissK »

Can you give the oral Rx with some apple juice? Or whatever juice Percy loves?
-MissK
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

I don't know if it will hurt to dilute it. It's not too hard to give it to him with my wife's help. I hold him and she sticks the syringe in his mouth and down it goes. As far as his favorite juice goes, I've never given him juice, but I have yet to find a fruit they don't like!
Mike
MissK

Post by MissK »

Since you posted soliciting advice, and because there is some risk associated with the syringe method, try this: Find a juice the bird likes and will drink eagerly. Ask the vet if there is any harm in diluting the Rx with this juice - and be sure to discuss how much juice. For instance, a teaspoon of juice, if the bird likes it, should be readily consumed, while if you provide a half a cup that's more than the bird will drink. If that works out for you, you'll be able to treat your bird and medicate him at the same time. What could be better? :D
-MissK
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

That is a GREAT idea! I'll call the vet tomorrow and see what he says. I'll let you know what he says. Thanks!
Mike
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

When Billie has her porridge she just opens her beak and and l shovel it down her throat is not possible to give the oral dose to Percy in some food he likes?
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

Well the vet said a great big no to diluting or mixing Percy's medicine. Turns out that the kind he is taking does not do well when mixed with food or diluted in another liquid. I guess we'll just have to stick with the way we are doing it. Last night he was trying to grab the towel I had him rapped in, and grabbed Deb's finger instead. Drew a little blood but nothing serious. He is not a biter, and I'm sure it was an accident. Deb didn't really mind either, she's a tough Irish gal!
Mike
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well, that's a big, huge bummer. Good luck, and I really hope you manage to avoid aspiration. Deb's finger will mend with proper disinfection and care.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Ouch!
I have a suggestion that won't help in the short term. .. put something yummy in the syringe when you aren't medicating him and use it as a reward. I found squishing up a grape worked well to start with, as the grape is firm enough that you can leave some hanging hanging out of the nozzle of the syringe to get his interest.
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

To help avoid aspiration, shoot the liquid at the roof of the beak near the back versus down the throat. You can also give a little, let them swallow, give a little etc. This is how I treat my finches. FYI - I had to treat my IRN when he was young and a towel was required. Although it did not help the relationship, the IRN did not seem to hold any grudges or resentments towards me or the towel. :wink:
Mary
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

We tried that tonight and it seemed to work. He seems to not mind the process too much, but he was NOT too happy about getting the medicine this time. We give it to him at 7AM and 7PM every day, and tonight I had to wake him up to get it. He was really ticked off! I hope he somehow understands that I'm doing it for his own good and don't stay mad at me.
Mike
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Since your vet says the medicine cannot be mixed with food - I'll assume a treat after treatment is not allowed - but you might want to ask....Anyway, very enthusiastically tell your bird what a good boy he is, how clever etc. My IRN really responds to this type of communication. I think even more so than a treat. Maybe it will help your bird. Try not to anticipate he will be unhappy as he may pick up on your concern and this will add to the negativity of the whole experience. Tell him what a lucky boy he is to be able to get the special medication. Pretend to take some yourself or even get another syringe and fill it with water and 'dose' yourself and enjoy it. You can always give him juice from the syringe in between treatments. This way he might not assume he is going to always dislike the stuff that comes from a syringe.
Mary
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

Well it's been a week and Percy seems to be responding to the antibiotics. His foot looks good and is not warm to the touch. I think he's accepted the fact that mom and dad are gonna make him take it regardless of his objections. Anyway, I'm glad he's getting better.
Mike
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

I am so glad you posted an update. I have been wondering about you guys. Glad to here everything will be ok. Yes, I was quite surprised how accepting my Skye was when I had to medicate him when he was about 2yrs. In fact, I think it improved our relationship. :)
Mary
Melika

Medicating your parrot or hand-feeding

Post by Melika »

For future reference. When hand-feeding chicks with a syringe, the same consideration applies as giving medications when it comes to aspiration. Here is a good diagram showing how to prevent aspiration when using a syringe.

I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Please can you tell me what aspiration is?
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

Aspiration is when a liquid is inhaled into the lungs. If you have ever been swimming and sort of sucked in some water and coughed it up a bit, that is a form of aspiration. When medicine is given to a bird with a syringe, the medicine may be forced into their windpipe instead of their stomach or crop .
Mike
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

Thanks Melika, that was a very informative article. I have bookmarked that website. It seems like we have been doing it like they say to, albeit just dumb luck on our part. He seems to be doing a lot better and believe me, we are counting down the days! We are on day 10 and only 11 more to go (yuck!!). Thanks for your and everyone else's help, suggestions, and concerns. I spend waaaay too much time here reading and trying to learn to do the right thing for Percy and Achilles and I haven't found anyplace else that even comes close to this forum. Thank you all!
Mike
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Thank you A&P does the same problem exist when feeding soft food ie porridge off a spoon. Billie jiggles the spoon and great dollops of porridge go down. Does aspiration stop vocal calls?
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

I don't think eating from a spoon will cause a problem because they are eating at their own pace and the soft food is not being forced down. Check out this website that Melika showed me and I think a lot of your questions will be answered. http://www.avianweb.com/handfeedingutensils.html
Mike
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Thanks Mike,

Some worry about microwave cooking, l always feel with my lips the temperature of food especially cooked in the M/w, Billie is okay with cooked veg but she does not like feeding herself porridge from a bowl.

How is Percy?
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

Percy is doing just fine thanks for asking. He has responded well to the antibiotic, and we have had no issues giving him the meds. He's a great bird and is such a gentelman. He still has about 9 days left on the meds and I can't wait till it's over.
Mike
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

AJPeter - some people might mention that the bacteria in a human mouth is different than what is in a parrot's and therefore food you give to a parrot should not come close to yours. They might suggest you test the temperature on the inside of your wrist the same as you would test milk in a baby bottle. When I occasionally spoon feed my guys I use my wrist. But that is not to say they don't get a bit of toast or pizza crust after I have started to eat it. :wink:

re: microwaving - yes, I have read some conflicting info - do we really know how it cooks the food? Does it change the chemical structure somehow? This is addition to uneven heating etc. Personally, I find it too convenient for warming up food for myself. I may start using it less for the birds. To not hijack this thread, any further discussion should probably be done elsewhere.
Mary
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

I think the biggest problem with microwave cooking, especially a soft food like porage, is hot spots. I know that warming up my grandson's bottle in the microwave is not allowed for that reason. I would be hesitant to warm the bird's food in the microwave for that reason. As far as a humans mouth being full of germs and such, I agree, but I'm not hesitant to share an apple with Achilles and Percy, especially since if I'm eating one, it's only a matter of time before I have both of them sitting on my fingers and them helping themselves!
Mike
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Yep...I am sure my sun conure would pick my teeth if I let him. If my birds are not in their cage and they see me sit down with food, they are both on my shoulder in a flash saying 'bu up?' I have come to learn that means "some of that is mine right?" If I do not offer any, they are not shy about reaching over to the food as it approaches my mouth and helping themselves. So I offer the preemptive tidbit if appropriate. I wonder if this is the real reason people clip wings? :lol:
Mary
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

That could be Sky, but consider this....maybe they just have US verrrrrrrry well trained!!!
Mike
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Oh, there is no doubt in my mind that that is what they are working on!
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

So, here's the thing ~ both birds and humans are subject to learning, in part, the same way. I'm talking about our positive and negative reinforcement, etc. We think about it and give names to the concepts, but the bird just applies them as Nature dictates he must. So when your little darlin' gives you that immediate feedback, whatever it is, training principles are in play.

When I was in the 6th grade my science teacher told us "You cannot touch without being touched."

EVERYBODY get up right now and go give your little darlin' a treat. :D
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

She is asleep! If Billie has a bad night in the morning she is like a bear with a sore head!
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

As soon as I get home from work, the boys get a treat and a little play time. I freely admit that I'm well trained!!
Mike
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

At last!! We gave Percy his last dose of antibiotics and it couldn't be happier. He is doing just fine and his foot looks good as new. He still favors and picks at it a little, but the vet said that this is possibly a behavior now, sort of a habit. If it persists, I'll take him back to the vet for a recheck. For now all is well!
Mike
MissK

Post by MissK »

Maybe you can give him some new toys to hold with that foot and pick on them instead.....?
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

Achilles&Percy wrote:At last!! We gave Percy his last dose of antibiotics and it couldn't be happier. He is doing just fine and his foot looks good as new. He still favors and picks at it a little, but the vet said that this is possibly a behavior now, sort of a habit. If it persists, I'll take him back to the vet for a recheck. For now all is well!

Glad to hear it. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Wonderful news!
Mary