aggressive female

Moderator: Mods

tasha87

aggressive female

Post by tasha87 »

I have an untame male and female that sharea large cage, they have been together for about 2 months not Iincluding the 1 month qquarantine period after I got my female. At first the male was pretty mean to my female when I put her in the cage, he would chase her and throw her to the bottom of the cage so o removed him moved the large cage to a new location, rearranged everything in it, made some new toys and reintroduced him after about a week. All went pretty well for awhile but now my female is getting aggressive. She follows him around and pulls his tail. She doesnt attack him or anything, just grabs his tail and wont let go....now his feathers are pretty tweaked lol should I seperate them or let them work it out?
AJPeter

Re: aggressive female

Post by AJPeter »

Welcome
Your hen might be hormonal, others will be able to help you more than l but you can read about my bird under AJ and Billie and hormonal behaviour.
tasha87

Post by tasha87 »

I was thinking that since from what ive read it is breeding time here in bakersfield california but they are supposed to be babies....I rescued them from 2 different people who bought them from someone else but the birds are only supposed to be around 9 and 11 months old. After more research I think that is a lie because my male clearly has a ring.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Your hen maybe too young to mate but she could go through the motions and next year start laying.
tasha87

Post by tasha87 »

Maybe, thank you for the reply...I have no experience with these birds, ive had budgies, conures, an african grey and a cockatoo but none have given me the issues these little guys have lol
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

It is not uncommon for hens to start breeding from as early as 8 months of age & males the following year.
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
tasha87

Post by tasha87 »

Should I give them a box? I know the male has to be at least 2...they dont seem to be showing any breeding behavior other than Jade pulling poor Paco's tail. My cockatoo just went through a hormonal phase where she was trying to breed with me, maybe that stimulated something in my little ringy girl
tasha87

Post by tasha87 »

Update! Birds getting along much better since moving them to a bigger cage