Wings and claws clipped

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Kazedkal

Wings and claws clipped

Post by Kazedkal »

:o What is the best age to get your irns wings and claws clipped?and can anyone tell me how much it will cost?
MissK

Re: Wings and claws clipped

Post by MissK »

Claws should be trimmed only as needed, being sure to leave enough length for the bird to securely grip the perch.

Wings can be physically clipped at any time, however one would be best advised to consider the goal of wing clipping, as it may negatively impact the bird socially.

Cost in my area is about $40 US dollars.

I understand you are probably looking to take great care of your bird and provide him everything he needs. Before rushing out to get grooming, however, why don't you rush out and get some foraging toys? Might be better in the long run. :wink:
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I have read that you shouldn't clip your birds wings while it is moulting. My birds are fully flighted, so I don't know much about clipping.
Also, all young birds should be allowed to fledge and learn to fly well.

It is worth considering keeping the bird flighted, there are a whole lot of benefits for the bird.
MissK

Post by MissK »

This is a good point, For some reason I assumed the bird had some age on it, but yes, no clipping before it can fly.

As to moulting, don't want to clip a blood feather, for sure, and if you clip right before a moult, obviously you waste your money.
-MissK
Kazedkal

Post by Kazedkal »

Kazedkal wrote::o What is the best age to get your irns wings and claws clipped?and can anyone tell me how much it will cost?
Thanks for all your answers