Is this the start of his ring coming in?

Moderator: Mods

alliesan

Is this the start of his ring coming in?

Post by alliesan »

Hello,

We got our first IRN 3 weeks ago and he (or she) is still settling in.
The pet store we purchased him at claims he is 1.5 years old but they said they had no paperwork on him.
Anyway, can anyone tell if this is his ring coming in? or can females have this light grey ring as well?

Thanks for any and all opinions! I know you cant reliably tell their gender until 3 years but we're not 100% on the age either.

His name is Salsa :)
Attachments
salsa.jpg
BoreasAnemai

Re: Is this the start of his ring coming in?

Post by BoreasAnemai »

Hi, Firstly I must say that Salsa is looking really cute that I wanted to get a piece from his/her cheeks! Lol. :D Anyway I think Salsa is a male. I also have an IRN:Ollie. Ollie's ring (<possibly) has turned to be more darker those days and there are black feathers near to its eyes... Although We can't be sure of his/her gender as you know, unless you DNA S.x The bird. And even Salsa is a female that wouldn't effect his/her name since Salsa is an unisex name for pets, right?

I wish you and your family happiness with your new baby! :)
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

That looks like a male ring coming in. It would be the right time frame for it. I have heard that females can have a faint ring too--but based on how gray that is, salsa is probably a boy.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

When (and if) the ring comes in, you'll know it- won't be a shadow, but white and black feathers- at first in patches.

Hens can have shadows too.

note grey shadow at the front, and light around the back

mature cock's ring on the right