AJPeter

Re: Parrot Speak

Post by AJPeter »

Does Deflin miss Bluey?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Water bottle for sale or rent
Okay MiisK, Lets see air fares, no better stearage on a boat, do the bums still ride trains for free? I could hitch a lift here to a port, okay you are on some time next year?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

In a recent post MissK you mentioned how Rocky was regurtitating when you had the elctric light on, and how natural day light reduced this, has there been a study about how electric light adversely affects our birds?
Last edited by AJPeter on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

People want to know what sex their bird is and l was wondering whether anybody subscribed to the idea that if you call your bird Bert it is a male and if you call the bird Alberta she is a female, unless you have a bird like mine, or have a snail, snails are bisexual, when two snails meet the one who rapes the other is the father and the one that gets raped is the mother.
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

no Delfin doesn't seem to miss Bluey.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie seems to be afriad of the dusk. About 4 pm just before the sun goes down she makes a lot of worried nosies but once the sun has gone down she is okay alhough she prefers the electric light on.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Response to beaking and biting may depend on specis age and even individual birds. We had an old macaw in the pet shop that would bounce on his perch after biting you, he would hold your finger gently in his beak and l feel with his tongue for a joint and then bite down hard, no amount of yelling made any difference l think he just liked the attention. But l do think that my Billie learnt that biting hurt me and now she is so gentle. l wanted to weigh her today and she would not step down onto the scale in the end l had to pick her up bodily, she objected but only mouthed my fingers once l had her on the scale she stood and waited for me to read the dial.

Before she laid an egg she weighed in at 437 grams and now 425 grams but the vet said she was under weight does any one know whay they are supposed to weigh?

In Sapphie's progess l read aobut Rocky Growling, Billie purrs like a cat when l stroke her neck, funny enough there is a cat out side making enough noise to wake the dead!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Since l have been talking to Billie at dusk she is a lot quieter, but seems to want to go to bed earlier. Anything for a quiet life
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Can our birds have too much sleep? I start turning off lights at 4 pm and by 5.30 pm Billie is calling to go to bed, she does no tget up until 9 am is that too much sleep, of course she might be awake earlier.
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

The average adult Alexandrine Parakeets weights around 200 to 300 grams. So at 425 grams she is a monster. definitely not under weight. I once read that between 75% to 80% of captive birds are overweight due to poor diet and lack of exercise.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Funny you should say that because l weighed Billie before she started laying at 437 grams and the vet said she was under weight, so at 425 grams l have been feeding her up. You are not thinking of IRN are you?
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

no
have researched numerous websites on the Alexandrine Parakeet. nothing over 300 grams
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

I have looked at a huge number of site on Alexandrine Parakeets and found this site of a vet with 30 years experience and the heaviest Alexandrine I could find was 323 grams with an average 180-230 grams.
also check out the Blue and Gold Macaw. This is what a poor diet and lack of excise results in

IRN are around 115 to 140 Grams

so an Alexandrine at 425 grams is either a monster or is morbidly overweight and I doubt that it's underweight and would be getting a second opinion has the life span of any animal is greatly reduced when morbidly overweight.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... 4ejUNld24w
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Maybe l have miss read the dial she deo snot stand still for very long l willhave naother go tomorrow and let you know, your link would not open through these pages so l will try through the browser.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Google say that the site you enclosed is closed due to inactivity but l have just checked Wikipedia and they say 200 to 300 grams in weight, so l must be reading the scale wrongly assume it is 225 grams but l will check again. Thank you for drawing my attenton to this.

I will also check with the vet who weighed Billie to see what she weighed in at.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I make up for Billie her own bowl of porridge made with water and tell her mine is just the same, but she sort of says if yours is the same as mine it is about time you ate something else this is disgusitng. And after a beak full or two she loses interest in it.

I put a bowl of nice warm water down for her to bathe but she ignores it until it is freezing and then complains the water is too cold to bathe in. She chases all over the cage foraging for food which l hide in places so she gets a lot of exercise. Every day she eats from the cuttlefiish bone so l have cut out the l;iquid calcium. However l do sprinkle crushed oyster shell on the cage floor and she pecks at it.

She is not keen on flying, But she quite surprised me today by flying several times to my chair, l think she just want to check that l was still alive!
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

strange I can assess the site through the link.
The Blue and Gold Macaw on this site weight over 2400 grams. When a Blue and Gold Macaw should weight from 900 to 1100 grams with the average at 1000 grams. yes I know that birds like people come in different sizes. but this bird is more than 140% heavier than average and the vet wrote that this bird is very fat. This is why an all seed diet and lack of excise is bad for parrots. too high in fats.

try typing in www.scottemcdonald.com
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Still no joy but not to worry Zentoucan, l phoned the vet and asked what weight was Billie on the 2nd Jamuary when they said she was under weight and it was 298 grams so l weighed Billie today and this is how l did it.

Step one. Get kitchen scales and show them to Billie
Step two. Switch them on and ask Billie to step up she was interested but would not step up so grabbed her and prised her feet off the cage.
Step three. Put her on the turnrable and hold her still and then read the dial. Blood thing has switched itself off!
Step four switch the scales back on and watch Billie fly to cage.
Step five, Prise Billie off cage and switch scale back on and put her on the turn table, wait for her to settle a bit and then read the scale. 257 Grams.

So how did l get 457 grams before well you have to let bird settle and keep the scales happy and working l think what was happening before was l plonked Billie onto the turn table and read the scales and of course they have to settle down any movement from bird and the scales are all over the place. (Scales are wosre then pet birds)

While l agree with Zentoucan on an all seed diet about birds being over weight it is not so with Billie. She has a very varied diet, in the mornings first seeds = 1 tbps pet shop seeds, (Mostly Sunflower) 1 tbs Vitakraft seeds, 1tbs Vitakraft egg supplement. She gets a fresh fruit bowl made up with 1/8 pomegranite, 2 grapes, l small piece of mango, sprinkled with pinch of Feather up. She also has a bowl already made with rolled oats, barley seeds, and mealworm pellets, She eats these sometimes for a change. Lunch times a tsp of cooked oats (Porridge) in water. Dinner time she gets fresh veg bowl cabbage, carrot, swede, sugarsnap pea pod 3, Carrot tops 2. A tiny piece of corned beef. Sometimes a cooked sugar snap pea pod (2) Once a week some cooked chicken. Saturday she gets a 1 tsp of gravy, cooked rice. cooked corn and peas, and Sundays 1 tsp of Shepherds pie with crusty pom and cooked corn and peas/

1 tsp = 1 Teaspoon
1 tbsp = ! tablespoon
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

Delfin is still being fed weaning formula twice a day. but we are adding 1/4 tsp calcium power (once a week) and instead of using water we use baby food to make up the weaning formula. Heinz of course. puree apple or pumpkin. Delfin seems to prefer the apple mix but will eat either.
we try to give Delfin something different each day. mainly veggies, than fruit. in the cage there is a bowl of pellets mixed with shell grit and a bowl fruit and nut mix. some cooked chicken once a week. cuttlefish bone and a spray of millet hung in the cage. we avoid processed meats has they are too high in salt. I only feed Delfin sunflower seeds when I'm training him.
when I got Delfin he weighted 242 grams, he now weights 252 grams. the breeder told me when he starts to fly he will lose some weight.
but he never dropped below 242 grams, then he started to slowly gain weight. at four months old he weights 252 grams.

Billie definitely has a top notch diet with a lot of variety. I have never heard of feather up but I gather it's a supplement to improve the condition and colour of the feathers.
pity you couldn't see how fat this Blue and Gold Macaw was. it show just how some people are too lazy to feed and excise their birds correctly.
I just get Delfin to step up onto my hand. then ask him to step down onto the scales and give him a sunflower seed. while he eating the sunflower seed I read the scales.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Is Delfin an Alexandrine? Seems a good weight for an Alex even if only 4 months old. Feather up helps a bird through a moult, l thought l would start early with it. Billie has laid 7 eggs and that knocked the stuffing out of her.
Last year when l got Billie l bought a swing it cost £8 which l thought was a lot of money for a bit of bent wire and wood with some coloured beads and l have tried all sorts of places to hang it and none Bille approved but this afternoon l had a brain scan l mean wave and in the odds and sods box l found a cuphook and l screwed this into the ceiling near her cage she watched me with some interest so l asked her to step and put her on the bar, it is about a foot above my head she sat there for some time but then she stepped up and l lifted her down.
Later l lifted her up again so l could take a picture for the family album and she sat on the swing for over 15 mins swinging it back and forth with her eyes closed. Then she very bravely made a dive and landed on her cage. Is it not nice when you do some thing of which they approve? I also took a picture of her doing the breastroke in her swimming pool but my camera is a bit old and the picture came out quite small.
Billie bites chunks off the cuttlefish bone, and today she only sat twice on the bottom of her cage when the hormones were running stongly but l think she is getting better. She has her voice back and gave me the "Where are you call?" This afternoon which l have not heard for three months. I agree with you about processed meat about the high salt content but it is the only salt she gets.
That is good about Delfin stepping down on the scales l work at a much slower pace with Billie she only gets verbal praise when she does something l want l leave it to her to make up her own mind whether if she wants to step up or not.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Claire said l should read people's posts thoroughly before responding and l did not read yours properly because l have just noticed you put shell grit in his seed bowl. Are you sure this is a good idea? Alex and IRN should not be griven grit as it blocks their gullet and they do not need it for digestion.
Oyster shell grit on the floor of the cage for additional calcium when laying is a good idea. But it will be a bad day when Delfin lays an egg!!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie and I have empathy for each other. This morning l wanted her to step up onto the ceiling perch but she was not keen but to oblige me she got on it. But in turning round she fell off, l was able to break her fall but l thought she would not want to go on that swing for a long time so l took it down from the cuphook in the ceiling and got on with playing the organ.

About 5 minutes late she chirped and l turned round and she was craning her neck to look at the place where the ceiling hook was, so l got the message and reinstated the swing, then she lifted a foot while standiing on the cage so l helped her to step up and lifted her upto the perch where she sat before turning round. So l got on with my playing.

About twenty minutes later there was a flurry of wings and she landed on my head. So the ceiling perch stays.

Billie is still troubled with these hormal urges when they strike she squeals and dives for the bottom of the cage where she sits with her beak on the floor in a corner with her tail pointing up. I reach in and stroke her and gradually the attack subsides and she climbs into a perch.

Today we had a practice run at moving her cage into the bedroom, where it gets really too hot to sleep in during the summer and l have to use an air conditioner to cool it down. But it has the advantage of a black our roller blind so my thinking is that as she prefers it hot to cold she can sleep in the bedroom and will l sleep in the living room with its two doors and five indows.

It was obvious that to move the cage over the carpet clips would not work every day so once l have moved the cage it will stay there for 3 to 4 months. I shall make this arrangement once the days get long and it is still light at 7 pm, and of course reverse the arrangement when the days start getting dark at 7 pm. This will alllow me to hang summer weight curtains in the living room.

Good!
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

Yes, Delfin is a DNA tested male and a certified Nepalese Alexandrine Parakeet. The breeder advised me to give Delfin around 1/8 of a tsp of oyster shell grit once a week while Delfin was growing into an adult. Delfin was the last to hatch and was smaller than his brother and sisters when I picked him up. But the breeder assured me he would grow to a standard size Nepalese Alexandrine.
Delfin has a really good diet. When I want him to try something different and new. I have to eat it first and then share some with Delfin. the chilies were a bit hot, clear my sinuses, but at least Delfin ate them.

Be aware of screw in cup hooks. few years ago I had an Eclectus parrot and I used screw in eye hooks on a tree branch use as a perch to hold a number of toys. Anyway, one day a toy fell from the branch. When I inspected why, It seems that the swinging around the Eclectus had been doing on one the perches had unscrewed it from the branch. So I put a fishing line swivels between all the eye hooks and the toys. I recommend 15 kg ball bearing game fishing swivels from japan. they are top quality.

There is more to having a bird stepping up and down than making it easier to weight your bird. It's also about being able to remove your bird from high risk and dangerous areas with a minimum of trauma and stress to the bird.

I don't encourage Delfin to go to the bottom of his cage to eat any shell grit or any other food from there as his dropping are also on the cage floor and I find it to be unhygienic.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

When Billie poops on the bottom of the cage l pick up with a tissue, her swimming pool is better on the bottom of the cage as any spillage is kept in the cage area. it also gives her a bit more room because on reflection the cage is a bit small for her with the grid in. l am quite pleased because it fits nicely in my living room but now l wish l had got the size larger.

Cockatoos and Electus are well know for undoing the nuts that hold the cage together but thank your for the advice about a swivel. Although l tried to coax her up onto the swing today she was having none of it, so l suppose her sojoining on the ceiling perch is gong to be a casual affair.

Today was Shepherd's pie we had it together , she get her own bowl and ate all the potato crisp, the preas and corn but she left most of the minced lamb.

The small amount of oyster shell grit you are giving sounds okay but l was worried it was sand grit. It does not matter to Billie if l eat it first if she does not like it, Tough! Most normal foods other birds eat Billie turns her nose up at pea nuts, dried fruit, wlanuts, almonds, Braziis, hazlenuts, bananas, and a host more l forget which.
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

I believe that because Delfin is still relatively young he is relying on us to guide and teach him.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I had Billie's nails clipped at the vets a couple of weeks ago and now she has dificulty clinging to me as l move about, also she looks very unsure about the ceiling perch, l was wondering how long it will be before her nails grow back to points or how long will it take for her to get used to her new nails?
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

I clipped Delfin's nails and it takes around two to three days to adjust. Delfin uses his wings a lot more to climb the lounge suite and me. as for the nails growing back I have no idea how long it takes.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

The vet cut Billie's nails and made them bleed, it was the first time ever she had her nails cut, and she is does not look happy on the perch l hung from the ceiling, so l wont make her go on it yet.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie could not make it anyplainer, she hung on the door her cage door frame and stared at her fresh fruit bowl, and when l went to see what she was staring at l found the bowl was a horrible mess. So l threw all the fruit away and put in some new vegeatables. Also a very small piece of low fat cheese which l found later on the carpet miles from her cage. She is not the only one who does not like low fat cheese.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have just had three private messages delivered, Skyes-crew 05/02, MissK 09/01 and Ellieectrons 29/10, Hotmail once delivered 252 emails why they sit on my emails Heaven only knows but apologies for the late replies.

Soft toys is it a good idea to let our birds have them, won't they see them as a mate and feed them?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Coconuts are supposed to be very good for feathers, Billie won't eat them (Coconuts not feathers) so l sprinkle desicated coconut on her fresh food container, is this as good as the real thing?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I had this dream last night, thiink like a parrot, talk like a parrot wake up sitting on a perch
SQUAWK! SQUAWK!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie and l are working on a new form of communication. Hand signals.

She lifts her right wing and waves it l wave back with my right hand and then she lift her left wing and waves it and respond by waving back with left hand. This form opf communication is not perfected yet as l wave with my left hand she looks at me as if l am daft!

And of course l am l should have waved with my right hand!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have been repeating all the words l use in the hopeshe will pick them up and repeat them but today l said to her "Give us a kiss darling" and she came up and kissed me on my lips, well tapped her beak on my lips same difference really/
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

We have perfected the hand/wing signalling routine, she lifts her right wing and waves to me l lift my right hand and wave back l wave with my left hand and she waves back with her left wing.

"So what does it mean?"

"You might well ask but we have not worked out any words yet
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Does any on know where l can get deoderant for birds from? Billie stinks to high heaven, would your best friend tell you that you have BO? Well l told Billie, l got the impression she was saying "Look who is talking!" She turns her head away when l am talking to her as if l have bad breath odor, and you can hear me say to her "Look who is talking!"

Do birds need worming?
Last edited by AJPeter on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

When is a door not a door?

When some one calls it "Jackdaw."
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

One of the problems of going it alone and doing things that no one else has done is that when it goes wrong there is no one to blame but myself, for instance last year when Billie was screaming I blew a referee's whislte at her and this stopped her in her tracks. Now l think she does not sing becasue of that experience, l know she can sing because she woke me up this morning chirping and singing along with the Dawn Chorus but as soon as she heard me she stopped.

I think the l must play more bird song to her, while l sit with her to encourage her to sing in front of me.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I do not think l need worry about past mistakes because Billie has perked up, she sings again, not much but l try and encourage her by whistling. She really enjoys a little bit of Heaven called yogurt last thing before she goes to bed. She sits on top of her cage lording it over everybody and when l say to her "Are you going in now?" After cogitating she goes in, and so we get ready for bed.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

The nesting box is big and cumbersome and as l was trying to get it back ion the cage Billie was doing her best to stop me but l was able to convince her that there are still cold nights ahead and she might welcome a little snook.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I was just about to leave for church today and was saying "Goodbye Billie! and she replied with a new song l have never heard before, l was ever so pleased. :D

I have never seen her eat so much, first it was eating her fill of seeds and then over to the fruit bowl, and then the hanging treat bar and back for some more seeds , she ate a tea spoonful of porridge and more seeds and this afternoon had a crust, and then some Shepherds pie, and seconds, more seeds and then over to the vegeatable bowl, and then some more hanging treat bar, and just to make sure some more seeds before she was ready for bed.

Her bare patch near her vent is healing up fast feathers are already covering most of the bare are area, it does not itch so much as it did either, at least she has stopped rubbing herself on me. It is a week since the last egg. Everything is coming up roses.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Complaint?
Yes
You know what happened to the last person who complained.
No
They ended end up in the stew.
Its the parrot.
Same difference! So what is the complaint about?
She says her swimming pool is too small to bathe in.
What about that bowl the apidristra sat in.
Its too big, oh no it goes through the door sideways
So how are you going out get it out when it is full of water?
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it/

Anyone got any ideas?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Does any one know where l can buy the day after the day before pill for a parrot with a hangover?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie won the battle of the nesting box, l have aggreed not to put it in until the breeding season next year but l craftily left some cloths thrown into a corner of the cage, for her when the cold strikes, the problem came when l tried to get the concert bowl in as well.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I think l will go start staring raving mad.

Today l made a right hash of my pin and had it locked, the parrot has decied to kill for yogurt.

l have run out of ideas to write about
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I think l will kill this thread as it is too long and start another, The son of Parrot Speak? no a sequel? Parrot speak 2