Hello all!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

PrettyBird24

Hello all!

Post by PrettyBird24 »

Hello, forum!

I own a 3 year old male Sun Conure named Loco, and have been searching everywhere for an indian ringneck! I hope that I'll be able to pick up a few leads here. :)

~PrettyBird24
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Welcome to the board.
Maybe if you let us know where your from someone can point you in the right direction.
natalie

hello

Post by natalie »

Welcome to u and Loco :) Natalie
To handle yourself use your head, to handle others use your heart.xx
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

welcome!
~the stubborn one~
PrettyBird24

Thank you all!

Post by PrettyBird24 »

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!!!

I live in Tennessee, and have been unsuccessful in locating any reputable breeders locally. There is, however, a large bird fair in April that I am going to where there may be some available babies. I just really need to know what to look for, as my expertise lies with the conures rather than the asiatic parrots.

Again, thanks to you all!

Here's my baby boy, Loco!

~PrettyBird24
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

awww .. how beautiful. Welcome to the family

We had a family pet cockatiel as I was growing up, his name was Loco .. named after the locomotive sound he made when we fed him as a baby :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Welcome and greetings! I LOVE your sunny! What a beautiful bird. Always did want one but they are kind of noisy...

Dani and Prinny
PrettyBird24

Noisy indeed!

Post by PrettyBird24 »

Oh yes, they squawk somthing fierce! Mostly in the morning and evening, though. :) We've learned to tune most of it out; we can tell a definite difference between when he's screaming for a good reason and when he's screaming just to hear his own voice.

Your bird is beautiful as well! (As is Kai, above) :) Simply gorgeous. I can't wait to get my own ringneck baby. I've been doing extensive research on the breed and have completely fallen in love with them. There is one at a local pet shop that I flirted with the other day, my goodness he was captivating. Unfortunately, however, they want $600 dollars for him, and I just can't afford it. He'll make a lovely friend for someone that can though.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes! I look forward to hearing more about your precious babies. :)

~PrettyBird24
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Welcome to the board,
I'm from Ohio and I had a heck of a time finding an irn too! They just aren't that common around here. Have you tried looking at the ads in the back of Bird Talk magazine? Well never mind that suggestion. I just checked the most recent issue for you and there isn't anything. Maybe look in the back of the mag. for states close to you and check there. I was checking Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania. Just make sure when and if you get one that you can HOLD this bird! Do not buy one that isn't tame! Please heed my warning. I'm not known for having any patience and when I finally found a breeder with some for sale I bought my Byndi and KNEW I was making a mistake. But I HAD to have one. And I've really paid! Lots of bites and tears. But I wouldn't trade him for the world. I love my punk bird, but he was definitely NOT tame! And still has a long way to go. But he is progressing from when I brought him home. Good luck with the search and keep us posted.

Hugs,
Jen
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

You really just need to ask alot of the same kind of questions you would for any bird.

How was it raised (you want sorta hand raised from either an egg or a few weeks)

What it's parents were (Most people dont think of this but it does help later on when you get curios as to it's DNA) or if the parents were ex pets or good breeders etc.

Is it tame (as jen says, save yourself some work)

When was it weaned and how (abundance weaned is preferable, Or if they say it weaned when it was ready, if they sound too strict it might have been forced weaned which is bad)

Have a general chat to the breeder use your instincts, You want to make sure the person you are getting your bird from is a caring individual that would treat the birds right. You dont want to buy from some dodgy person after money.
PrettyBird24

wow!

Post by PrettyBird24 »

What wonderful advice from both of you, and thanks again! My local bird club is hosting an exotic bird fair in a couple of weeks, and I just spoke with the vice president, who told me that she has some friends that will be there with their available ringneck babies.

I figure that if I can hold off until then, I can get one that I know for sure is tame, on top of seeing if one of the babies chooses me, instead! (Which is the way I would prefer to go.)

There will also be an avian vet there to do sexing, and since my husband has his heart set on a male, (I could care less!) this way, I think we can get eveything taken care of.

Again, thank you both for the great advice. I just can't wait to find a sweet little IRN. :)

~PrettyBird24
birdman5000

Re: Noisy indeed!

Post by birdman5000 »

[quote="PrettyBird24"]Oh yes, they squawk somthing fierce! Mostly in the morning and evening, though. :) We've learned to tune most of it out; we can tell a definite difference between when he's screaming for a good reason and when he's screaming just to hear his own voice.

Your bird is beautiful as well! (As is Kai, above) :) Simply gorgeous. I can't wait to get my own ringneck baby. I've been doing extensive research on the breed and have completely fallen in love with them. There is one at a local pet shop that I flirted with the other day, my goodness he was captivating. Unfortunately, however, they want $600 dollars for him, and I just can't afford it.

that place is a rip off!!! i wouldnt pay more than $300-$400 for any mutation unless it was a breeder that could pay for itself with its equally expensive offspring id sell and ship you a handfed baby for less than that :roll: :)
julie

Post by julie »

hi prettybird2 just out of curiosity what colour is the irn at the pet shop.its probably $600 because there arent many around like you said before.i priced a irn the other day it was $6,000
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Some mutations can be very expensive, as in the dark factors are worth 10s of Thousands. But It's not a good idea to try and make money by breeding these mutations. The prices have dropped considerably and you will more oft than not make a loss on these birds.

People here are having a hard time getting rid of cinnamons which were worth high hundreds, turqoise, creamino, and lacwing series have become very affordable. Breeders that paid thousands for them can only get a few hundred for them now.

In a way it's good because you can get more colour variety in your pets, but it's not so great for the breeders making a loss on the mutations.
Pet stores usually overcharge but you should really know what you are looking for. Look for a breeder rather than a store, and always.. ALWAYS do your research first.

To be honest I sold 6 ringnecks and got $100 for the lot. The dealer said they wouldnt even buy Grey or Greygreens, they didnt want Cinnamons. The only reason they were buying blues, yellows and greens is that clueless people just starting out would buy them because of their looks.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Grrr...Some people should not be in the pet business Neo! How stupid is that! I swear, letting uneducated people buy a tamed IRN and then not research on the species and find out what it needs is sending that bird to an unhappy future. I have seen so many of these birds thrown away because of the bluffing stage. Imagine buying a bird for looks...

Looks aren't important...I wish people would realize this :(

Dani and Prinny
PrettyBird24

I agree!

Post by PrettyBird24 »

To me, looks aren't so important either. I think that all the birds are beautiful!

The IRN in the shop that I visited was just a normal green male. I called back a moment ago to check on him again, and this time I asked if his cage was included in the price -- (He's in a very large, nice cage!) But unfortunately they said no, that the cage is sold seperately.

I had thought that perhaps he was so much because his cage was included, but I was wrong! :( I do wonder how long the bird has been there, because he is full grown, with his mature markings. At that price I fear he will be there for a long time!

~PrettyBird24
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Sadly that bird will be and will become unt tamed more than likely...sad but it will happen.

Dani and Prinny
PrettyBird24

:(

Post by PrettyBird24 »

I know! I wish more than anything that I could go get him, but there's just no way. He costs more than my house payment!!! He's so gorgeous, it's such a shame.

~PrettyBird24
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

i agree with both of you . i no that some irns cost $$$$$ i saw a chart online that showed all mutations known to be and they ranged in price from $75 for a green and $16000 for a darkblue/violet mutation mixed with a wierd pattern mutation.

BUT!, iv bought birds just for the color thats why i bought some of my finches and my african red bellies, and the rosie bourke,
but all of these dont need attention from me the finches and redbellies are wild and paired up with others. the bourke is tame but it dosnt need or crave companionship like bigger parrots. i guess im guilty of collecting but i dont neglect them thats. i have 21 birds and only 3 of them are pets the rest live in decent sized cages with other birds. soon i will be finding new homes for some of the finches that are weaned and stop the parents from breeding for a while at least im try to get some good colors from this one pair